Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SRS on low bitrate MP3 (Read 3065 times) previous topic - next topic

SRS on low bitrate MP3

please excuse my extreme ignorance on the issue but i'd like to find out more about what exactly SRS is and if it's possible to apply it to 5.0 or Lt/Rt mixes that then get bounced to stereo and encoded at 96 kbps for playback on 5.1 computer speaker systems (think creative or altec lansing).

SRS on low bitrate MP3

Reply #1
SRS is like saying Dolby. Is the name of the company.
Which has a set of  audio-related technologies (like Dolby) that can be applied from 2-ch to 6-ch audio and might involve or not a series of other separated technologies.
Two particular ones are:
TruSurround XT: it´s used for 6ch-to-2ch downmixing. It includes SRS Dialog Clarity and TruBass.
Circle Surround I and II: it downmixes 6.1ch to 2ch matrix encoded (CS) or upmixes 2ch to 6.1ch (CS II). Circle Surround II is designed to upmix anything from 2ch. It includes SRS Dialog Clarity and TruBass.

The thing is that if you don´t feed the encoder with enough bitrate, the spatial surround info might get destroyed in the process, and that would make the whole process pointless.

Cheers.
"Screw u guys, I´m going home."