Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: PINK FLOYD - The Dark Side Of The Moon (Read 16125 times) previous topic - next topic

PINK FLOYD - The Dark Side Of The Moon

i got it today. seems to me the best SaCD out there. Even the normal stereo track on that hybrid sacd sounds a lot better compared to the original dark side of the moon cd. Once listened the intros of Time and Money you won't listen to the old cd again

Reply #1
i got it today. seems to me the best SaCD out there. Even the normal stereo track on that hybrid sacd sounds a lot better compared to the original dark side of the moon cd. Once listened the intros of Time and Money you won't listen to the old cd again

hm, can you be a little more precise about what your 'old' cd is?
- first release on cd (made in japan)
- digital remastered one from '92 (part of shine box, twenty anniversary edition, ...)

Reply #2
I decided not to support SACD format (don't have equipment to play surround mix anyway) and bought myself vinyl edition. Neato

Reply #3

Regarding the "normal" PCM track, did you do any blind-testing to verify if it really does sound better than the original CD version? (On the same SACD player, of course, to rule out error-variance caused by another D/A converter, etc.) If you are comparing it to the old, unremastered pressing that came out before the 20th anniversary disc (1992), I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded a bit better.

Reply #4
Xenion wrote:
Even the normal stereo track on that hybrid sacd sounds a lot better compared to the original dark side of the moon cd.

Are you sure it's not just LOUDER?  Well actually, I somehow tend to believe you, because, for example, on 'Echoes' (the Best Of compilation released in 2001) they did actually perform some additional effects processing (I noticed more reverb on some tracks compared to the originals) which made it sound quite different from the originals. Whether or not that's better is another question...

I tried to take a closer look at this new SACD edition when I was in England 1 1/2 weeks ago, but I didn't manage to find one that wasn't sealed. The cover redesign looks pretty cool though, that's all I can say.

Reply #5
@Xenion:
does your dsotm sacd have ten or nine tracks?
to be more precise, are "speak to me" and "breathe"
finally separate tracks now, or did manage to f**k
up the track listing once again?

Reply #6
@Xenion:
does your dsotm sacd have ten or nine tracks?
to be more precise, are "speak to me" and "breathe"
finally separate tracks now, or did manage to f**k
up the track listing once again?

my old cd (1994 remaster) had 10 tracks (one track, a and b for "speak to me" and "breathe"). the new one has two seperate tracks, so 10 tracks together

Reply #7
The best mix I *ever* heard of Dark Side was the original Harvest vinyl cut which was sparsely sold in the U.S. as a British import.  The EMI/Capitol version sold in the U.S. pales beside it.  Unfortunately, most of the re-masters were based on the tapes sent to the U.S. If you ever find the Japanese 'Black CD' version, I believe it has the Harvest mix on it.  But I've never been able to find one
Master of Fate. By Fate Mastered

Reply #8
yup...

on a hybrid SACD..

the only quality difference.. should be
the DDG layer.. otherwise.. the recordings
should be plain red book...

Reply #9
Well, I finally got the SACD and I have to say that it has an album gain of -6.12. Also, the 6th track (Money: -8.38) is way too loud.

Edit 1: By the way... There are 10 tracks.
Edit 2: http://www.transilvania2000.de/compressed.jpg (compressed)
http://www.transilvania2000.de/uncompressed.jpg (uncompressed)

Reply #10
I have the SACD too (mostly since it is the only copy sold here).  But I'm pretty satified with it.  Then again I don't have anything to compare it to.  The cover is pretty nice as Volcano mentioned.  There are also pictures of the original covers and other covers and posters etc.  BTW in addition to Money, Eclipse is also quite loud (-7.37dB).  Also, like Xenion said the intros to Time and Money sound incredible, however like I say I have nothing to compare to so I really can't say one way or another.

Reply #12
I can provide a sample from the MFSL Original Master Dark Side of the Moon (UDCD 517) if anybody is interested to compare the SACD or the CD layer to it.

Reply #13
I can provide a sample from the MFSL Original Master Dark Side of the Moon (UDCD 517) if anybody is interested to compare the SACD or the CD layer to it.

I would be, yes.

Reply #14

I'm interested, too.

Reply #17
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ST&f=35&t=22088

Posted sample from the first 30 seconds of Money.  I can post more samples if needed.

That's quite suprising actually.  How did you capture the SACD audio?  Is this the CD layer of the SACD?

Here's the MFSL Master of Money in Adobe Audition's wave editor.  I also will post the statistics for the file as well.  (The ReplayGain level for this song is -1.06 dB).

http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v192/C..._Money_MFSL.png

Stats:
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v192/C...y_MFSL_stat.png

Reply #18
i would assume the mfsl recording is superior, no?

anyways, it is around the trading circles now, and below is a snippet of the .nfo from the seed:

What is Ultradisc ?
-------------------
By the mid 80's, concerns about the degradation & potential loss of the Studio Master Recordings on magnetic archival media, sparked a wide effort to restore these tapes into their original condition.

Audiophile CD's and LP's were re-mastered to 24 karat gold-plated CD's from the original master tapes with sonic clarity unheard of until now.

Because each of these CD's were limited editions and the company has gone out of business, this re-mastered CD is no longer available from any source whatsoever.

CD-Writing
----------
You now have the opportunity to own a copy of this fully restored CD.
Even though there is very slight & minor sound quality loss by transferring the entire restored gold-plated CD to CD-R, the sound quality will nevertheless greatly exceed that of the standard Retail-purchased di$
Retail CD's are simply hi-distortion & poor-quality "Production Copies".

This ISO is the only means you will ever have of owning any copy of it.
There are no other sources.

Tracks
      ------

1.  Speak to Me
      2.  Breathe
      3.  On the Run
      4.  Time
      5.  The great Gig in the Sky
      6.  Money
      7.  Us and Them
      8.  Any Colour you like
      9.  Brain Damage
     10.  Eclipse

i hope this helps or adds something new to the discussion

later

Reply #19
Mobile Fidelity has been back in business for quite some time now.  They are releasing original master recordings on SACD now, hybrid, both layers utilizing their mastering processes.

Info:

http://www.mofi.com/

Reply #20
[IN case anyone still cares about this thread, the CD and SACD layers of the DSotM SACD have indeed been measured to be different masterings, with the former being louder/more compressed, than the latter.  Stereophile magazine's website has the figures, though I don't have the link handy.

Reply #21
Hi there i am new here ..

i happen to have the Super Audio Compact Disc of Dark Side and the MFSL version and the Twentieth edtion and the original silver version from 1979

the mfsl sounds the best , the stereo sound is full and got the tiny details / sounds in the original version.
the sacd is made louder but not better, in the tracks money, time and eclipse you hear the results the best

Reply #22
How's it going? I would assume that we are all in agreement that the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC II CD's are without a doubt, the best of the best with the ultimate sound quality. In my opinion, MFSL gave PINK FLOYD'S Dark Side Of The Moon a whole new life of its own. David Gilmour even commented that the MFSL release not only blew him away, he heard the album the way it was truly intended to be heard. I also own the Dark Side Of The Moon in the SACD series, it also sounds great. I mean no disrespect to the SACD series but the MFSL release sounds far more superior than any other release in existence. I can only wish and hope that MFSL will release THE BEATLES', THE ROLLING STONES' and LED ZEPPELIN'S complete catalog in the 24 KT. Gold ULTRADISC II CD collections. Take care.