Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Apple USB SuperDrive ejects CDs while ripping (Read 1104 times) previous topic - next topic

Apple USB SuperDrive ejects CDs while ripping

One CD the Apple USB SuperDrive ejects few points while I tried to rip it with Apple Music or XLD. Another CD it already ejected when XLD scanned for pregap information.

Is the USB SuperDrive just an awful drive which is very picky about CDs or are the CD are being the issue here.

I'm currently playing the CD in question on my Blu-ray Player without any issue.

Any alternative ideas for an external drive for a MacBook Air?

Re: Apple USB SuperDrive ejects CDs while ripping

Reply #1
I'm a Windows guy and I've never seen that.   I've had uncorrectable errors and I've seen it "take forever" but I've never had it eject.

Is the USB SuperDrive just an awful drive which is very picky about CDs or are the CD are being the issue here.
Probably one or both.  ;)

If it's happening with all CDs it's probably the drive

I'm currently playing the CD in question on my Blu-ray Player without any issue.

Players and player software are usually more forgiving than ripping software.    They have error correction and error hiding or sometimes they will just keep going after getting an error.

What happens when you play the CD from the USB drive?

There are ways to record whatever is playing on your computer (with Audacity, etc.) but It's a little tricky on a Mac.   Or you can get a USB audio interface and record analog-to-digital from the Blu-ray player.   Of course, a direct rip is better and these "tricks" are best-left for when nothing else works...

Reply #2
On the first CD I had this issue with, the CD was ejected even while playback with Apple Music. This one I have't tried yet. I remember having big issues with an Asus external DVD drive but it didn't eject CDs though.

Reply #3
I now have three CDs which are being ejected by my USB SuperDrive, two of them by Damon Albarn and Blur (which is also Damon Albarn), the other was Fiona Apple, which I returned because I believed the CD was faulty.

Reply #4
So, it turned out the drive was defective and I got a replacement one. Which works just fine.