Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAK 1.1.0 Development (Read 37430 times) previous topic - next topic

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #50
Great to see the documentation getting done... I'm all for TAK, my collection is 100% TAK on my PC, I'm really excited about 1.1.0 although I don't see any important reason to upgrade from 1.0.4... I store my music in TAK format and listen as CD in hardware players.

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #51
You could license the encoder under the LGPL, and the decoder under a BSD license.

This way, hardware manufacturers can use the decoding part without worries (BSD).

Licensing the encoder under LGPL, allows them to include it in closed source apps, but have to return any changes to the encoder itself.

Good idea! It's more important for me to keep an eye on modifications of the encoder. I have to make sure, that they generate compatible streams.

Great to see the documentation getting done... I'm all for TAK, my collection is 100% TAK on my PC, I'm really excited about 1.1.0 although I don't see any important reason to upgrade from 1.0.4... I store my music in TAK format and listen as CD in hardware players.

Nice to hear, that TAK is useful for you!

I am just preparing a beta release of V1.1.0.

Thomas

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #52

Well, i wanted to release it this sunday, but...

The new version passed my comprehensive test suite; encoding and decoding of complete files was ok.

But then i created a new test to validate the new seek-without-seektable function, and here i got errors in about 1 of 10,000 cases.

The fix may delay the release a bit. Sorry.

Thomas

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #53
Take your time Thomas, it's great to know that TAK development is still going strong
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #54
@davechapman:
Mind a question about your "unofficial tak stream format" document?
I was trying to extract some tech. details from a tak file and got stuck with the sample rate.
Bytes 6-8 of my stream info blocks read 64-77-09 which computes to 609600 (64 + 77*256 + 9*65536). But I have no idea how to retrieve the actual sample rate of 44100 Hz (even if I add 6000)
(Samplerate - 6000) (Probably just 17 bits - 128*1024)

Could you shed some light on that?

.sundance.

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #55
Sorry, I missed some crucial information there - the samplerate is shifted by 4 bits amongst those 3 bytes.

So you need to read the three bytes as a little-endian 24-bit integer, then shift right by 4 bits (equivalent to dividing by 16) - 609600/16 = 38100.  38100+6000 gives your 44100.

Thanks to Thomas being kind enough to share his container-parsing source with me, I'm currently working on updating that page - so it will be more authoritative (and hopefully bug-free) soon.

Dave.

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #56

Well, i wanted to release it this sunday, but...

The new version passed my comprehensive test suite; encoding and decoding of complete files was ok.

But then i created a new test to validate the new seek-without-seektable function, and here i got errors in about 1 of 10,000 cases.

The fix may delay the release a bit. Sorry.

It took about 1 hour to fix this bug. But then a much more irritating bug was showing up. I have written a dedicated application to validate the new seek feature. Always at the same point of execution a windows message pops up telling me, that an application error has occured.

That's really strange because exactly the same test passes on my primary PC, but fails on my much older secondary PC. Both are running Windows XP Home. Because my secondary PC has sometimes shown some misbehaviour (problems to start, strange beeping when typing) i am just performing some hardware tests. I really want to be sure, that the hardware is responsible.

Well, this takes some time...

Thomas

Take your time Thomas, it's great to know that TAK development is still going strong

Thank you! 

@davechapman:
Mind a question about your "unofficial tak stream format" document?
I was trying to extract some tech. details from a tak file and got stuck with the sample rate.
Bytes 6-8 of my stream info blocks read 64-77-09 which computes to 609600 (64 + 77*256 + 9*65536). But I have no idea how to retrieve the actual sample rate of 44100 Hz (even if I add 6000)
(Samplerate - 6000) (Probably just 17 bits - 128*1024)

Could you shed some light on that?

If you want, i can send you the source code for the container. If so, please send me a mail with an email adress.

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #57
Hi Thomas,

If you want, i can send you the source code for the container. If so, please send me a mail with an email adress

Now, that would be really great! Could make my efforts to write a TakFile-Unit for ATL (Audio Tools Library) a lot easier.

My email is: sundance.kid_at_gmx.ch

Thanks for help!

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #58
Hi Thomas,

If you want, i can send you the source code for the container. If so, please send me a mail with an email adress

Now, that would be really great! Could make my efforts to write a TakFile-Unit for ATL (Audio Tools Library) a lot easier.

My email is: sundance.kid_at_gmx.ch

Thanks for help!

Thanks for your support!

You should have mail 

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #59
Always at the same point of execution a windows message pops up telling me, that an application error has occured.
It *could* be an unsupported instruction - could your compiler be set to too high a spec for the processor target? (i.e. SSE2, SSE3, etc, etc)
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #60
I believe TAK uses ASM MMX (but I didn't find the relevant thread to verify this).

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Any chance it's an Intel/AMD thing? 
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

TAK 1.1.0 Development

Reply #61
Always at the same point of execution a windows message pops up telling me, that an application error has occured.
It *could* be an unsupported instruction - could your compiler be set to too high a spec for the processor target? (i.e. SSE2, SSE3, etc, etc)

Any chance it's an Intel/AMD thing? 

Thanks for the suggestions! Although it was something else. First it appeared, as if some part of the code was overwriting parts of the heap. This led me into the wrong direction.

Actually it was a good old friend: An uninitialized element at the end of an array. Because it wasn't expected to be accessed, this bug was very well hidden.

But now it is fixed.    Sigh...

I believe TAK uses ASM MMX (but I didn't find the relevant thread to verify this).

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Absolutely correct! 

Thomas