Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

MP3
[ 381 ] (32.3%)
OGG
[ 293 ] (24.8%)
AAC
[ 67 ] (5.7%)
MPC
[ 349 ] (29.6%)
WMA
[ 9 ] (0.8%)
RM
[ 0 ] (0%)
VQF
[ 6 ] (0.5%)
MP3Pro
[ 9 ] (0.8%)
Lossless
[ 61 ] (5.2%)
Other
[ 5 ] (0.4%)

Total Members Voted: 1408

Topic: Which lossy format are you using? (Read 115460 times) previous topic - next topic

Which lossy format are you using?

Reply #150
For what it is worth, i belive the MPC format is still way to "unknown" to the masses. Sure you got mpc support in the most used soft. players, but from a user point of view, the mp3 format will still be the favourite as hardware suport goes.
MPC is in my mind the best a lossy compression can do, regarding quality,
but as long the format can`t provide wildly covered portable support, people
will still use mp3.
Regarding mp4, it would have been interesting to see a test report on high bitrates.
ATM. mp4 (especially nero) audio seems to have a brighter future as hardware suport, i know nothing about what goes on in the mpc camp. but i pray to god
that this format doesn`t "die".

Reply #151
Why is there no mention of either Dolby Digital or DTS?
Both these can be used on DVD, with DD 2/0 you will get 60 albums onto a single DVD-R.
It is definitelt lossy compression, and deserves to be included.

Reply #152
Forgot to mention also that DD as well as DTS will go on CD as well as DVD

Reply #153
At the moment i rip all my cds to FLAC. Then I transcode the FLAC to LAME .90.3 APE.

The FLACs go onto DVD, the MP3s stay on my hd. No doubt if I had a desktop I'd have bought a few 320 gb disks to keep the lossless on disk. Good thing I can't. 

Yes I could use mpc but: my crappy sony mp3 discman (yeah yeah I know impulse buy at the airport what do you wanna do?) only does wma (urk!) and atrac3 (cue sounds of slughter), so I'm stuck with mp3 if I wanna hear them on the move... not that LAME is bad. Far from it. I just finished verbally berating a friend of mine who's a buddying techno artist and was encoding his tunes @ 128 with Fhg. Now he's doing it at APE... but mp3 has it's limitations.

As soon as I see a good hard-disk player that does mpc and mpc goes to sv 7.5 I'll switch tho... there's really no comparison between the 2 at the omg-i-know-standard-is-transparent-but-i-wanna-make-sure-even-if-its-a-waste-of-data-quality-freak levels I'm at 

Reply #154
Heh maybe people at realmedia should take a look at the poll :-)
RM [0]

Reply #155
Heh maybe people at realmedia should take a look at the poll :-)
RM [0]

that was beaten by VQF even waaay back when this poll was young.

Reply #156
I think this thread should be locked and this poll should be re-started as it is almost 2 years old. Please can a mod lock this and can someone start a similar poll I can bet that the change in the results would be huge!

Reply #157
I think this thread should be locked and this poll should be re-started as it is almost 2 years old. Please can a mod lock this and can someone start a similar poll I can bet that the change in the results would be huge!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224450"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agree... and add some new formats in new poll...

Reply #158
I still use mp3 for portable use, I only use lossless for backups and home use.  However, I think mp4 is the best

Reply #159
I've just started to use MPC....i'm really impressed......sounds very to the orginal....

Reply #160
Honestly, been used to use IMA-encoded AIFCs on an old Mac.  I thought I was going to sing and dance when my parents got me an old 400 mHz G3 iMac 2 years ago (thanks a lot...) with something BETTER than the 1 GB hard disk I was used to.  Now its 50% AAC, 45% OGG, and some Apple Lossless and Mp3.

Reply #161
aacenc -ultra -profile 2 -nh

Reply #162
It would be interesting to start a "version 2" of this poll and see if habits have changed over the past 2 years.

Reply #163
It would be interesting to start a "version 2" of this poll and see if habits have changed over the past 2 years.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=230538"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would, go for it.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #164
I vote LOSSLESS (even if it's contradictory with the question (which lossy format -> lossless)) lol...

Else, I use MPC for lossy

Reply #165
I make lossless FLAC backups and then transcode to 192-320 VBR LAME MP3 (I have space to burn).
</signature>

Reply #166
my most listened to CD's go in monkeys audio, which i transcode to lame --aps or --apx for my ipod, other than that, it's mostly --aps

Reply #167
New poll here.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.