Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_projectM (Read 166401 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_vis_projectM

Current version:  0.97.6.2 (updated 2005-06-24 @ 15:30 UTC)

Description:  Visualization using the projectM library.  It's like Milkdrop, except the transitions between effects aren't very smooth and the fonts are on the ugly side.

Download location:  http://msu.edu/~singergr/foo_vis_projectm/ for now.  Once the plugin has stabilized, I'll see if the projectM developers would be interested in storing it at http://xmms-projectm.sourceforge.net/ with the rest of the projectM plugins.

This post will be kept as current as the forum software allows me.  Feedback and other stuff will follow in the posts below.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #1
Looks good for a first version, no problems at all.  Keep up the great work bud, looking forward to the panel version when that happens!!

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #2
Sweet! Thanks for this bleh..

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #3
One issue seems to be the inability to change the font.  I may have missed something, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so.  Also it restarts the visualiaztion when you change tracks.  Not sure if that just the way it works or a bug.  Either way it's great for a first version.  Hope to see it improved.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #4
well done! thank,
welcome to foobar2000 group of google :http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Foobar2000

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #5
could u make it avalible as uie panel for foo_ui_columns?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #6
could u make it avalible as uie panel for foo_ui_columns?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eventually. I'd like to get the non-panel version stable first.

From [a href="http://msu.edu/~singergr/foo_vis_projectm/]http://msu.edu/~singergr/foo_vis_projectm/[/url]

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #7
i m glad to see someone porting this to Foobar 
i m going to try it

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #8
One issue seems to be the inability to change the font.  I may have missed something, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The font is hard-coded into projectM.  I probably could make it possible to select a different font file without much trouble, but then you'd still be limited to using [a href="http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/opengl/glf/]GLF[/url] fonts, of which I don't believe there are many.  It might be possible to replace GLF in projectM with an OpenGL FreeType library, but that'd take more work and hence is something I'm likely to put off for a while...

Also it restarts the visualiaztion when you change tracks.  Not sure if that just the way it works or a bug.

It's a consequence of the way foobar2000 works if you implement things in the easiest-possible way.  The next release will probably have some options to deal with this like in foo_vis_bacon.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #9
Wow, finally a native Fb2k Milkdrop VIS!

We'll see what is the future of Milkdrop, ProjectM or the official source...but this is a great step forward!

Keep up the good work!

Btw, this doesn't work with 0.9 beta, right?

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #10
I cannot wait until this is in my panel!  Thank you!

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #11
I've been using it. Love that foobar has a native viz. I'm looking forward to what this project has to offer.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #12
This is very nice...
I can't wait for the panel version, but i'll have to be patience, and i will

keep it going
Inter Deum et Diabolum semper Musica est", Tanzwut

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #13
Music filling the room and this vis-plug filling my screen is a wonderful experience. Thank you. 
"If there 's no soul in the computer's music, it's because nobody put it there." - Björk.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #14
Version bump; not much new from a user perspective other than configurable flush handling.  I'll start looking at the Columns UI API soon and should have a panel version done within the next few days unless something goes terribly wrong.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #15
Version bump; not much new from a user perspective other than configurable flush handling.  I'll start looking at the Columns UI API soon and should have a panel version done within the next few days unless something goes terribly wrong.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304481"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm looking forward to it! I'm actually waiting for the panel version before I test it out

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #16
In fullscreen the mouse is still "on top" for some reason.  It was like this in the last version also.  Also worth noting is that there doesn't seem to be anyway to switch from windowed to fullscreen or back again unless I've missed something.  Also, nice job on making it no reload on a track change.  But when the track changes it doesn't display the info on the screen with that setting.  Great work so far.

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #17
Hrmmm, sorry for missing your post earlier.
In fullscreen the mouse is still "on top" for some reason.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304498"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wasn't sure if I liked having it do that or not.  Since you're the only person who's expressed an opinion on the issue and you don't like it, I'll see about making it go away in the next release (probably after a short period without any mouse movement).
Also worth noting is that there doesn't seem to be anyway to switch from windowed to fullscreen or back again unless I've missed something.
Pressing the 'f' key should do it.
But when the track changes it doesn't display the info on the screen with that setting.
It'll constantly display the title in a really ugly font in the bottom-left-hand corner of the screen if you press F2.  For some reason, projectM doesn't default to showing an animation in the visualization when the track title changes like Milkdrop does; I've been missing this a little and I'll probably put it in the next version as well.

Also, there's an alpha panel version available.  Since I haven't been able to figure out how to get them to work, keypresses are not handled by the panel; it's look, but don't touch.  If someone knowledgeable about the workings of the extension API could tell me if I need to do a little extra work to get keypress messages, if there must be something wrong since I should be getting keypress messages without doing anything hard, or if I should give up on keypresses and actually make a context menu, I'd appreciate it.  I'd also appreciate it if someone with a multi-monitor setup on a spare system could tell me if fullscreen works on displays other than the primary one, since I have no way of testing it and for all I know, it sets your Windows theme to bright pink.

People are advised to update even if they don't care about the panel, since it turns out that there's a bug in the font-rendering library used by projectM that causes crashes if a song uses characters with ANSI values greater than 127.  I feel really dumb right now for bundling the several hundred kilobytes of projectM fonts and presets into all three downloads, but I think I'm going to put off reorganizing things until the morning since I don't trust myself to build links correctly at the moment.  People with slow connections may want to wait a while...

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #18
I'll see about making it go away in the next release (probably after a short period without any mouse movement).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=304974"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also would like it to act this way

Pressing the 'f' key should do it.

If think it would be nice if we could toggle fullscreen mode by double clicking inside the window/panel

For some reason, projectM doesn't default to showing an animation in the visualization when the track title changes like Milkdrop does; I've been missing this a little and I'll probably put it in the next version as well.

That would be very welcome , especially since the animated text looks so much better than the text at the bottom of the window

I'd also appreciate it if someone with a multi-monitor setup on a spare system could tell me if fullscreen works on displays other than the primary one, since I have no way of testing it and for all I know, it sets your Windows theme to bright pink.

For me , it doesn t work , it always displays the fullscreen on the primary monitor, but i don t have the "bright pink windows theme " problem.
I also tried to drag the window on the 2nd monitor and then go into fullscreen but the result was the same.

Some suggestions now 
-I d like to be able to set a minimum time before preset change
-Possibility to load a preset like in milkdrop instead of having to go through 30 presets before finding "the one"
-The possibility to make the animated title text pop up randomly during the song
-And of course the ability to change the fonts 

I can t test the panel version right now , i ll do it later
Thanks a lot for your job 

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #19
Would indeed be cool to set a minimum time before preset change.

PS: The panel kicks ass!

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #20
Panel version

[a href="http://img137.echo.cx/my.php?image=projectmpanel2ym.png" target="_blank"]
Thanks again

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #21
I like it alot!
keep up the ever increasing great work

edit: in the panel version it seems to stop switching presets and sticks with the 2 red lines or the big blur. And since my keys don't work in the panel version it is just stuck there. Only remedy is restarting foobar...
Inter Deum et Diabolum semper Musica est", Tanzwut

foo_vis_projectM

Reply #22
New version released.  It's very, very similar to the previous version except that it doesn't suffer from a serious but embarrassingly simple overflow bug that I spent entirely too long fixing.  Anyone using 0.97.2 is advised to upgrade.  .1 and .0 aren't be affected.