Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Music piracy study (Read 8824 times) previous topic - next topic

Music piracy study

I'm doing a study on music piracy (and legal music downloading), thought it might be worth a shot at posting it on HydrogenAudio - I've so far run this on one other forum, though the results are likely to be biased, so I figured it might be worth pooling it amongst another demographic - if that's okay with you guys. The study is looking into antecedent attitudes and behaviours as to why people are downloading music (both legally and illegally) and opinions on whether the music industry is headed in the right direction. It's not empirical, but I'm hoping to find some trends and find something new for my dissertation

Study is here: Le study link. If any of you fancy taking it I'd much appreciate it.

Hope this is OK to post, I couldn't find anything in the rules... Also wondering what peoples views on the future of the music industry and music are?

Music piracy study

Reply #1
I'm doing a study on music piracy (and legal music downloading), thought it might be worth a shot at posting it on HydrogenAudio - I've so far run this on one other forum, though the results are likely to be biased, so I figured it might be worth pooling it amongst another demographic - if that's okay with you guys. The study is looking into antecedent attitudes and behaviours as to why people are downloading music (both legally and illegally) and opinions on whether the music industry is headed in the right direction. It's not empirical, but I'm hoping to find some trends and find something new for my dissertation

Study is here: Le study link. If any of you fancy taking it I'd much appreciate it.

Hope this is OK to post, I couldn't find anything in the rules... Also wondering what peoples views on the future of the music industry and music are?

I wouldn't look at this issue as piracy...look at this from the angle of free promotion...giving your music away for free is the fastest way to build a mailing list and get your band's name out there which under the usual circumstances would cost you thousands of dollars to do....you can make your money from running advertisement on your videos posted on youtube...hope this helps

Music piracy study

Reply #2
Also wondering what peoples views on the future of the music industry and music are?

The industry is hanging on to a business model from the late 1800s, until it can stop this 'shift units' idea we're going to have this piracy situation. Nothing much will change until it wakes up, or keels over.

Music piracy study

Reply #3
Also wondering what peoples views on the future of the music industry and music are?
Speaking as a DJ/producer, the future of the music industry looks like Bandcamp, where artists are compensated and receive the majority of the money spent on their music. The future of the music industry looks like Bitcoin, where anyone anywhere can pay with no middle man. The future of the music industry looks like YouTube, where advertisers will pay to attach their products to good music. These are the big trends that I see.

Music piracy study

Reply #4
Think the OP is still working on their study? 

Music piracy study

Reply #5
Hurrr... Thread necromancy scores another point. 

Music piracy study

Reply #6

The industry is hanging on to a business model from the late 1800s, until it can stop this 'shift units' idea we're going to have this piracy situation. Nothing much will change until it wakes up, or keels over.

Gotta agree with this assessment. The industry is guided by lawyers who think the answer to every problem is to sue someone.
Any one of the industry bigs could have started something like iTunes store. Instead all of the energy and effort went into trying to stop people from getting their music the way they wanted to consume it, by download.
By delay they helped create the illegal download environment.