Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A Clarification regarding the foobar2000 forum (Read 6292 times) previous topic - next topic

A Clarification regarding the foobar2000 forum

It seems as if some issues have come up lately regarding the hosted foobar2000 forum here at HA, and how exactly it ties into the HA philosophy.

Originally I had intended to make it clear that this forum is not "officially" a part of HA, but rather Peter's own dedicated foobar2000 forum, but it seems I have failed at this.  So, now you know.

Basically what this means for the members of HA is that the rules in the foobar2000 forum are decided by Peter.  All we do, as the HA staff, is provide a hosting service for his forum.  As for why we are hosting his forum as a subforum within HA, we are doing this as mutually beneficial service for both sides.  HA users get to post in the foobar section without having to reregister, and vice versa.  The information is also relatively nicely consolidated in one place.  For example, a user can get information on how to encode to a particular format, and then find information on a player which may be suited to his needs regarding this encoding, all in one spot.  The point that needs to be made clearer it seems, is that the foobar2000 forum is not representing HA itself, and neither is Peter.

Regarding what goes on in the forum and my personal views on the matter, I'll only say that while I (and the rest of the HA staff) may or may not disagree with Peter's views or actions on a case by case basis, I do support the overall excellent work he is doing, and I do support the overall advancement of the functionality of enthusiast oriented audio encoding and all related utilities (which, in this case, would included a nice, simple, fully quality-oriented audio player).

Other than that, I just wanted to make clear that these two forums should indeed be seen as seperate, aside from some technical irrelevancies.  To help this perception along, we have all decided to make more of a visual distinction between the forums also.  We have removed the foobar2000 active threads from the portal display, and will be changing the logo, rules, and skin of the foobar2000 forum accordingly.  This will take a little bit of time though.  I hope everyone can be patient and keep all of this in mind during the meantime

Reply #1
This is a great idea... being that im not a user of Foobar2000, it was slightly annoying that the portal topics were nearly always full of replys/topics regarding foobar2000. Even an option to disable the display of foobar2000 topics via a cookie would have surrficed... Anyway, great idea dibrom 

Reply #2
I should read posts before I reply...
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #3
I dont like that idea. Why?. Because from the portal I do have a centralized location to inform myself about what was going on in all forums, including Foobar2000. But I understand the situation. I think the more information we get from everyone is beneficial to us. I learn from foobar2000 users and HA users too. So NO WAY JOSE!  . I dont like the idea.

Reply #4
Thanks Dibrom for removing fb2k thread from active topic. I found HA to be a bit boring [EDIT : and confused] for my taste the last two weeks, even if I like Peter's works.

Reply #5
The point that needs to be made clearer it seems, is that the foobar2000 forum is not representing HA itself, and neither is Peter.

Precisely.

A notice in the Terms Of Service would be appropriate IMHO (...).

[Needless to say that I appreciate foobar2000 as a player, I just don't like... you know what. But let's not start that here.]

Reply #7
OK so now my opinion ..I think that what ever...seems that it's the most logical thing to do.
Personally i like the way Peter handles matters, i think he's doing it the best way, even though some people may feel "surprised" by his responses or that his way of handling things is not "politically correct", i do admit sometimes it would be nice if he'd be less "agressive", but whatever, that's who he is y'know?..
So Peter, i just wanna say i think all you've done and said 'till now, is just right. (and whatever..sheesh all this sounds so geeky..Gr33Tz! )

Reply #8
Well, I don't think that anyone doubts that Peter is a hot-shot programmer
and that he's bringing us one of the most promising players ever, but what's
up with the attitude?
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #9
Atitude????. What do think about programers?. They are different, they think different, so what?. Who cares if Peter send to hell a guy. Live and let die. They kill themselfs thinking for hours and that is what he gets. An attitude????. Ummm. Nobody is perfect and nobody likes that someone comes and change his code and insult his knowledge. So I think that we should drop this case  and leave Peter doing what he does best. Thank you.

Reply #10
Live and let die.

Very interesting...

IMO there are more stylish ways of showing one's superiority, than banning people
and insulting them, but hey, that's just me...
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #11
Who cares if Peter send to hell a guy.

God complex?

Reply #12
What do think about programers?

They do something useful. So what?
That gives them the right to act like @-holes?
EVERYONE on a public forum OWES it to others to act civil.
Even prima-donna plugin programmers...

Reply #13
Well, there is a lot of pinheaded posts here (that is, in the foobar2k forum)...  Obsessive worrying about why isn't there a SSE2 compile or why fb2k is using 1% CPU or how much memory or why aren't there skins based on Sailor Moon or whatever. 

I don't blame Peter for getting annoyed and having to deal with so much bs when he could be enjoying his life and occasionally dropping a new =pre-release= version of an audio player with pretty specific design parameters.

Reply #14
Thankyou for removing foobar2000 posts from the portal.  It was quite annoying to see (at times) only one thread about 'cross-platform cross-format psychoaccoustic audio compression' and 9 on a Winamp rival...

I also agree, a programmer, no matter how good his software should be civil at least to his users.  Without them he is nothing.  If my coders answered questions bluntly and impolitely, we wouldn't have half as many users, or at least - half as many happy users.
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #15
Let us not forget that Peter is giving us something for FREE. A very good something, I might add.

I think it's OK to request something (like SHN support for me), but I don't see how anyone can bitch about anything that was givin to them for free (STD's excluded).

Anyway, that's my .02.

Edit: Maybe bitching is the wrong verbage. I just know what it's like to post a show for someone in a newsgroup, only to have someone else complain that I didn't format the header the way they think it's supposed to be. But they still download the show anyway, of course.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #16
I don't blame Peter for getting annoyed

I can understand some of his annoyance yet keep in mind he's got a fairly consistent track-record pre-FB2k of being a rude hot-head, so this isn't a case of nice-guy turned bad-guy by the evil-doers, oh poor Peter it's just a natural response. Not at all. It's just intrinsic to Peter to be curt, rude, and inconsiderate. What we're seeing today is nothing new. What is new is that through an admittedly wonderful program (FB2k) he's gotten power (as a forum operator and channel op), and his character is just that much more obvious to those of you who are just now being introduced to him. It's very sad, but sensitive people are profoundly hurt by such people as Peter.

Reply #17
Let us not forget that Peter is giving us something for FREE. A very good something, I might add.

That does not give him to right to insult people.
No inspiration

Reply #18
*sigh*

Look everyone.. I wasn't trying to open the floodgates for discussion of the merits of the foobar forums existence, or whether Peter is justified in his choices or not.  I don't really want to get into that.. partly because I don't have the time and energy to participate in the discussion properly, and partly because I don't feel like hosting another big flamewar (haven't we had enough lately?).

All I wanted to do is say that you guys have a choice here.  You can choose to visit the foobar2000 forums or not.  The foobar2000 forums are not representative of the whole of HA, so please stop thinking of it that way.

I'm sorry if this post is a little bit dismissive, but I've just gotten back from a night of partying, and upon checking HA, I'm a bit annoyed and saddened to see this kind of discussion unfolding... this isn't what I was hoping to accomplish.

I really don't want this to keep dragging on..

Reply #19
thanks for support guyes (especially Volcano, no thanks to TURBO)

don't worry Dibrom, I don't feel like discussing where peter's wrong. (was really ROTFL reading about "hacks" though) but just out of the curiosity, can anyone point a single post where I violate the forum rules (including "the 11th rule")?

oh, and if peter's banned me, may be he can also unsubscribe me from fb2k threads?

Reply #20
X-Fixer. You are a intelligent man. Is just a matter of following rules and guidance from  the master. B)

Reply #21
I really hate to say things like this, but it seems that you have to try it yourself to understand. and remember that it's not me, who started this ...

Reply #22
What are you TALKING about X-Fixer?...i don't understand.
And i believe it was you who "started this", but whatever.