Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with ID3 tags (Read 1938 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with ID3 tags

I've been having trouble with reading ID3 tags in players for quite a while.
My cellphone players (both Google Play Music and Blackplayer) can't read some accentuation marks. For example, the band "Titãs" appears as "Tităs". All my music files are in ID3v2.3, but this issue doesn't appear in all tracks with the ~ accentuation.
I've also had problems on Windows Media Player - but this one I'm not sure if it's a problem from WMP or from the last.fm scrobbler. Bands with forward slash (/) in the name appears on my scrobbler with incomplete name. For example, the band "Mundo Livre S/A" is scrobbled only as "Mundo Livre S", even though the WMP shows the full name.
If anyone could help me to figure out what is happening, I'd be pleased. This issues really bother me.

Re: Problems with ID3 tags

Reply #1
ID3v2.3 defines the forward slash as a separator for multiple values. Only certain audio players might enforce it to only act that way when surrounded by whitespace and not in the middle of a word.

Reply #2
The incorrectly displayed tags might be written in an 8-bit code page on a Western computer system and read on a Central European or Turkish system. Rewrite them using an application such as Foobar2000 in Unicode.

Reply #3
The incorrectly displayed tags might be written in an 8-bit code page on a Western computer system
I wrote them with MP3tag, and all of them use UTF-16. This is what bugs me - I wrote all the tags myself in the same system, but only few of them have this problem. The "Tiităs" tag, for example, is only an issue on the 'Artist' tag. The 'Album' has the same name (Titãs) and it appears correctly. I'll try to get Foobar and see if the problem is solved.

Reply #4
It may be a case of a player that doesn't support Unicode at all.

Reply #5
But, if the player didn't support Unicode, shouldn't all characters with this accentuation mark be misread?

Reply #6
My vehicles radio seems to support characters from Spanish and German, but doesn't support characters from Vietnamese, and especially non-Roman characters.

Reply #7
Then that would be limited Unicode support, due to likely not having room or having had the work put into making a more complete bitmap font for the display.

The wrong character may even be a substitution made by whatever Unicode font mapping they have in place.

Reply #8
So the problem is likely to be on the player, and not on the tag editing? I only wished to correct it and not mess with my last.fm tags.

Reply #9
Wait, your car supports calling out to Last.fm?

Reply #10
This problem occurs on my cellphone player, not on my car. If it was on my car radio I would be totally ok with that.