Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: When you rip Vinyl records to FLAC how do differentiate them from CD rips? (Read 6606 times) previous topic - next topic

When you rip Vinyl records to FLAC how do differentiate them from CD rips?

For Vinyl, do you include any of these words "Vinyl Rip", "LP", or something like "LP 24-96", "LP 24-192" in the name of the album?

Re: When you rip Vinyl records to FLAC how do differentiate them from CD rips?

Reply #1
I don't, but I do identify videos "ripped" from VHS.   I usually remember what albums I digitized because I only digitize vinyl when it's not available digitally.

...And I don't use 24/96 or 24/192 for "scratchy old records".  :P  

Reply #2
The last vinyl I recorded from was only available in either vinyl or audio cassette tape, never CD. I recorded it at 44.1/16 using a USB turntable, and then cleaned it up a number of times with different methods using iZotope RX. Each time, I reverted to the original recording prior to trying newer methods and versions. The last version, I spliced up using Logic Pro, then saved to individual FLACs. The only thing really differentiating it from a CD rip is that the tracknumber field is filled with "A#" or "B#" depending on the side of the record.

For future work, I may consider using 96 or 192 and 24 bits, if possible, but only for the initial recording, and not for the final output. If only to give the processing plugins something more to chew on. They're already working in 32 bit floating point, extra frequency resolution would probably help with profiling noise versus signal. I'd still keep 44.1/16 or *maybe* 24 for final output, though. And I'd keep the multi-stage RX project files that maintain the full revision history of the work going back to the initial recording. Those come out to about 2.5-3GB per side.

Like DVDdoug, I'd only bother with this process for rare albums that never made it to a digital release. I'm not in the habit of even collecting vinyl for any other reason.

Reply #3
Include the this information in the tags. It is not important to be visible all the time in the directory structure. For example, Media = Vinyl or Media = 12'' Vinyl, or whatever you like.

Reply #4
For Vinyl and Tape rips I use a tag "VINYLTAPESIDE" to identify the side of the tape or record.  An extremely rarely used feature of my music library that prefers digital sources or anything be produced like it's going to end up on a CD somehow.  This tag is specifically required and reserved for anything that comes on a tape or vinyl record that has 2 sides that has been digitalized.

Each track number is per disc or tape not per side in my library.

For discs with their own names I simply use "DISCSUBTITLE" (Vorbis Comment or ApeV2 tags), or "TSST" (ID3v2 tags).

I don't have a source identifier for my library but I could easily make one up or Google what it is specified in existing metadata formats.

There's different ways of tackling this kind of thing.  Use whatever works for you and your library.

Reply #5
I like to search my library from a starting point of the "Album Title" tag so I tend to amend that tag so it it searchable for all sorts of things e.g. "Album Title" = "Thriller [Vinyl Rip]", or Thriller [mp3], or Thriller [Surround]
If there is both a Hi-res version and a CD red book rip "Thriller [HD]" or  "Thriller [CD]".

You can amend any tags which you find will be useful for searching your library according to your needs. Another obvious one to use may be to create new genres amending the genre tag e.g. "Pop [Vinyl Rip]".

This may be a no-no if you plan to use something like Roon software for playing your music because album identification will take a hit. If you use Foobar2000 or Kodi like I do amending tags works well.

Reply #6
The only reason I want to rip certain Vinyl records is because their CD versions are so loud and compressed that they are unpleasant to listen to on a computer. I'm talking about certain CDs released after 1995 such as Aerosmith's Get a Grip or Van Halen's Balance. The CD rips sound like garbage, but the Vinyl Rips sounds fine even with pops they're more pleasant to listen to.

Reply #7
The CD rips sound like garbage, but the Vinyl Rips sounds fine even with pops they're more pleasant to listen to.

Most media players do think tracks belong to an album if the [ALBUM] and [ARTIST] tags are the same.
So having both the CD rip and the vinyl rip you need something to differentiate be it "LP" or "CD" added to the album tag.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #8
Most media players do think tracks belong to an album if the [ALBUM] and [ARTIST] tags are the same.
So having both the CD rip and the vinyl rip you need something to differentiate be it "LP" or "CD" added to the album tag.

Roseval makes a very important point. It is the reason I began amending the Album Title tag where there are more than one version.

Reply #9
One way to make sure they are differentiated, would be to use a different file format than FLAC. Like, WavPack with embedded cuesheet if you don't want to do the job of splitting the files, and then edit the cuesheet if track transition times are off. For a starting point you can hope to find a cuesheet that works at https://www.regeert.nl/cuesheet/ .

Media = Vinyl or Media = 12'' Vinyl, or whatever you like.
Beware that if you at some stage run a masstagging job with an external source, this "whatever you like" may be overwritten if that application also "likes it". IIRC, musicbrainz tagging might use something like MEDIA TYPE, MEDIATYPE or MEDIA_TYPE.

So I use ALBUMVERSION. Both for different CD masterings and for different media sources.

Reply #10
According to the mappings on the Picard site it's MEDIA for both Ape and Vorbis, same with the Foobar2000 tagger component. But it breaks down Vinyl into dimensions. Masstagging can change the metadata in many ways (capitalization, adding suffixes to track names, wrong cat numbers), and shouldn't be done lightly.

I see a post highlighting different interpretations in ID3 (TMED), but that is only for mp3 and related.

Reply #11
[...]  I'd still keep 44.1/16 or *maybe* 24 for final output, though. And I'd keep the multi-stage RX project files that maintain the full revision history of the work going back to the initial recording. Those come out to about 2.5-3GB per side.

If I a may ask why 44.1kHz instead of 48kHz? I mean most sound cards convert to 48kHz right?

Reply #12
That's not a guarantee. You can do what you want, though. For instance, my device claims to support 44100, 48000, 88200, and 96000. It also emits a lot of noise that's inaudible at normal listening levels, except for sometimes when it's about to go into sleep mode.

48000 is fine, I guess.

(For instance, I actually recorded at 44100, because this external USB device only did that or 48k, and I don't know why I didn't go with 48k.)

Reply #13
If I a may ask why 44.1kHz instead of 48kHz? I mean most sound cards convert to 48kHz right?

It's hard to know exactly what a sound card will output best at without a lot of trial and error or testing and even that can change if the same sound card is put in a different computer.  Windows lets you configure the default sample rate and this can be helpful with sound cards that work better at some rates but not others.  I had a card that worked great at 192 KHz in one computer, put it in a different computer and the same card could only work reliably at 44.1 KHz multiples, the 48 KHz multiples all played at lower pitches and got worse when the rate was higher.  Best case and the more common case is that an audio interface will work fine at all supported rates.

There are some audio interfaces out there that convert everything to 48 KHz internally with their internal DSPs, most of them are under the Creative brand.

Reply #14
I encode vinyls to lossy.flac :) that's the only difference. Also, I add source type to comment.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #15
[...] The only thing really differentiating it from a CD rip is that the tracknumber field is filled with "A#" or "B#" depending on the side of the record. [...]
For some reason I've never thought of that, I've juts been adding the LP side to the comments, I'm gonna retag'em all now.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #16
It's not just the computer sound card, but the record player may only be putting out 16bit/44.100 at best.

Reply #17
It's not just the computer sound card, but the record player may only be putting out 16bit/44.100 at best.
Most likely, it's 16bit - 120Hz-16kHz

Reply #18
Do you think it is acceptable to use the term "Vinyl Transfer" instead of "Vinyl Rip"?
I think "Transfer" looks better. Rip can also mean rest in peace for someone not tech savvy when sees my library.

/Music Folder/
  + / Artist Name /
      + Album Name
      + Album Name {MFSL Remaster}
      + Album Name {Vinyl Transfer}

Normal CDs don't get any tagging. I was wondering if using "Transfer" is okay.
Or should I just use "Vinyl" Maybe adding "Transfer" is just clutter?

+ Album Name {Vinyl}

Reply #19
I don't differentiate. Why would I have two copies of the same album?

Reply #20
Most likely, it's 16bit - 120Hz-16kHz

Not sure where you got that idea from. A record car do anywhere from subsonic to ultra sonic. With distortion and wow/flutter, but it's not really band limited like that. 120Hz is ridiculous - there's at minimum two octaves below that.

16bit is likely more than enough but I do 24bit, I mean why not?

The screen below is from an old, beat up, Jamaican 45 - so not audiophile stuff by any means. You can clearly see it has content into the 20kHz range.

Reply #21
Old discussion. There was even a format based on the fact that vinyl could capture 30 kHz: that was the carrier tone on quadrophonic records. (Possibly fragile enough to make for a few disgruntled customers, but still.)
And yes there was bass in the old records. AFAICgoogle, some hardware devices would have selectable filter frequencies 75/150/300, but that was for downmixing bass to mono, not for filtering away bass. Don't confuse that with subsonic filters in pre-amps - they would be ... subsonic.

Reply #22
Do you think it is acceptable to use the term "Vinyl Transfer" instead of "Vinyl Rip"?
There are no "rules"!  ;)

When I'm speaking or writing I say, "Digitized vinyl", or "I'm working on digitizing a vinyl record", etc.   If I was going to tag the file, I'd use "From Vinyl".

I've made a few DVDs from VHS and I put a sticker on the case that says "From VHS" and with digital files on my hard drive I'll include "from VHS" in the file or folder name along with the release year.   For example "Back To The Future (1985 from VHS)".   ...That's just a popular movie example...  I didn't actually copy Back To The Future from VHS.    

I've never liked the term "rip" but I use it when talking about CDs.  Wikipedia says it only applies to digitally extracting the audio (and/or video) when analog-to-digital conversion is not involved.   

Reply #23
Or should I just use "Vinyl" Maybe adding "Transfer" is just clutter?

+ Album Name {Vinyl}
That's what I would do. The rip/transfer/extraction part is obvious and doesn't need to be pointed out.

And perhaps I would include some details (e.g. LP, EP, single, 12") either in the ALBUM tag itself or in a dedicated tag for this purpose.

Reply #24
Thank you.
The tag "From Vinyl" will work fine. I have some albums purchased from Bandcamp, for those I can use something like "From Web", so there will be some consistency in naming at least.

The reason I need this separation is because I don't want the media playing software to join the two together when having the same album name. The one without tag is the CD and the other one is the Vinyl Transfer.

X

UPDATE: or as vilsen suggested. I saw his post after I pressed the submit button. Sorry.