Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can I extract Mac Zip mp3 files in Windows? (Read 3826 times) previous topic - next topic

How can I extract Mac Zip mp3 files in Windows?

I tried to extract a Zip file (created with a Mac) of mp3s with Winrar but it couldn't recognize two tracks because of "illegal" characters in the titles (they used a colon) - the files extracted as 0 bytes. WinZip didn't work either - it said that it had to "ignore" those files during extraction. I think it's mostly due to the fact that a file name with a ":" in it is not recognized by Windows.

Is there any way to rename the file before extraction or is there another program that can extract Mac files?

Reply #1
That would be unusual because the colon ':' is a reserved character and cannot be used for Macintosh filenames (It used to be the equivalent of the '/' for directories on classic Mac OS). Maybe the file mistakenly used the colon to describe directories?

Reply #2
I suppose it wouldn't hurt you to ask an HA.org MAC user to unpack them for you, since the almighty WinRAR can't even extract them.

Reply #3
try www.7-zip.org its free and great

Kristian

Reply #5
Unfortunately it won't unpack ZIP files

Are you saying it won't unpack the files in you mentioned in your original post, or that it won't unpack Zip files at all? Because, the only program that I use for archiving anymore is the 7zip File Manager and it works on Zip among many other file formats.

Reply #6

Unfortunately it won't unpack ZIP files

Are you saying it won't unpack the files in you mentioned in your original post, or that it won't unpack Zip files at all? Because, the only program that I use for archiving anymore is the 7zip File Manager and it works on Zip among many other file formats.

Sorry you're right - it does upack Zip files, but I still couldn't get it to rename the files. When I tried to rename them, an "X" box popped up saying "Not Implemented."