Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Reverse 'ID3 export to CSV' tool (Read 6381 times) previous topic - next topic

Reverse 'ID3 export to CSV' tool

Hi

Sorry if what I am asking for is sort of basic knowledge in here. I am pretty new to this ID TAG'ing stuff.

The case is that I have spent several hours looking for a tool that can export the TAG infor from a bunch of FLACs in one operation, AND do the reverse; importing TAG info from a CSV-file and apply it to the proper files.

The reason behind is that I have experienced that the TAG-info I get from various source such as AMG, GD3, MusicBrainz and Freedb (yes I'm using dbPowerAmp and EAC ;-) seems be either missing or very wrong when it comes to classical music.
Looking specifically on Bach's Well-tempered Piano, Angela Hewitt on Hyperion I would like to change the information in the TAG; the box has four discs each containing 24 tracks (12 prelude & fugue) each piece (prelude & fugue) has a unique number assign BWV XXX which I would like to include and leav out a bunch of other information that I find to be not relevant. Also, I would like to get rid of the four disc information, as the work itself is originally divided into two: book 1 and book 2 each containing 24 prelude and fugue's. (As a remark I wonder whether the container info (the number of disc's is completely irrelevant when it comes to classical music? ...certainly I can see the idea for almost anything else)

I have a naming that says:
"The Well-Tempered Clavier (48), collection of preludes & fugues in 2 Books, BWV 846-893 (BC L80-127): Book 1. No. 1 in C major. Prelude"
Where the first part:
""The Well-Tempered Clavier (48), collection of preludes & fugues in 2 Books, BWV 846-893 (BC L80-127): " is not relevant to me, and I would like to add the BWV number and track so it becomes:
"01 - Prelude No. 1 in C major,  BWV846"
"96 - Fugue No. 24 in B minor,  BWV893"
It is rather easy to do this in Excel ....  but I cannot seem to get the data back again....any ideas?

I have tried Tag&Rename, MP3Tag (can do it on a single file), MP3HelperBook (seems ot miss some of the TAGs somehow), Abanden, MediaMonkey, Helium Music Manager, FLAC frontend, FooBar2000 ... it might be that I have overlooked something in the different tools?
I also have been looking through various forums and BING'ed and Googled ...but no such luck for me

/Cheers SorenB

Reply #2
In Mp3tag use "Convert > text file - tag" to import tags from a text file and "File > Export" to create a text/csv file of your text.
It must be one line for each file.
More details can be found here:
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=9399
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=9165

Thnx a bunch ;o)
Although it takes quite an effort to make it work it does seem doable;
I am a bit confused about the output from the $loop(TAG) and %TAG%
$loop(%_filename_ext%) -> "Angela Hewitt - 01 - The Well-Tempered Clavier (48), collection of preludes & fugues in 2 Books, BWV 846-893 (BC L80-127)" (without the quotes)
%_filename_ext% ->  Book 1. No. 1 in C major. Prelude.flac

The full filename reads:
Angela Hewitt - 01 - The Well-Tempered Clavier (48), collection of preludes & fugues in 2 Books, BWV 846-893 (BC L80-127); Book 1. No. 1 in C major. Prelude.flac
To me it seems as if the $loop(%_filename_ext%)%_filename_ext% in conjunction gives the full file name, but according to the help on MP3Tag it should be the filename including extension ... a bit confused???

Also if I have understood the text right I can compile a file containing alle the tags I want to change together with the full path + filename as reference and do the import from MP3Tag with Text File - > Tag (Alt - 4) ...and use the %taq%;%tag% ... as the template for the import ...right?
If that is true I guess the right way of doing the edit will be create the template ... do an export based on that ... change the stuff I want to change and then import the changes ... comments?

/Cheers Søren

Reply #3
Got the problem fixed!

Visit My Website

Boils down to 40cm-error ....there was a ';' in the filename and importing into Excel using ';' as delimiter caused my pain :-S

/Cheers Søren