Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Develop some features for Mac users, please.. (Read 3932 times) previous topic - next topic

Develop some features for Mac users, please..

Dear Foobar developers,
I'd be happy to support financially development of some options for Mac users:
1. Playlist view: ability to view "custom field" based on files tags (a lot of custom tags i've created during windows foobar times).
2. Library view and organisation the same as foobar under windows: artist/genre/year grouping, thus the total library can be groped and searched visually by criteria.
3. Search option.

I appreciate comments.
Thanks.

Re: Develop some features for Mac users, please..

Reply #1
It's not really usable without search function. Such a basic feature.

Reply #2
If you don't mind the lack of the following features:

1) Tag editing
2) ReplayGain scanning (it has tag reading and gain application, though)
3) Tag reloading
4) Multiple playlists

You can get away with trying Cog: https://kode54.net/cog/

Yes, it has playlist find. And if you use the Media Folders option to produce a scanned list of folder trees in a side panel, it also has a cmd+shift+f "Spotlight" find panel that searches these folders for tracks based on filename.

Reply #3
Agreed, this is a far cry from what exists on Windows.

I remember I used either column ui or facets components to tweak the interface. While it is unlikely components happen anytime soon, that would be nice to have some of their feature set.

Also just in case anyone is using brew to install applications, here's a PR that adds a foobar2000 formula : https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-cask/pull/97990

Reply #4
If you don't mind the lack of the following features:

1) Tag editing
2) ReplayGain scanning (it has tag reading and gain application, though)
3) Tag reloading
4) Multiple playlists

You can get away with trying Cog: https://kode54.net/cog/

Yes, it has playlist find. And if you use the Media Folders option to produce a scanned list of folder trees in a side panel, it also has a cmd+shift+f "Spotlight" find panel that searches these folders for tracks based on filename.

Well, Cog looks exactly like something I would love to use. Unfortunately, it outputs to the incorrect channels on my sound card. This is set correctly in MacOS and all system apps work correctly, but Cog just ignores this and outputs to channel 1-2 regardless of what is selected. Not much use if I can't hear the music.

I'm happy to work with you if you want to debug this. Foobar2000 Mac works as expected.

Reply #5
Maybe I'll fix it by just requiring users to manually set their channel mappings. Literally show me where macOS exposes what speaker goes to which output channel number. Also I do not own any sound hardware where this would be applicable, so I have nothing to test with.

Reply #6
Maybe I'll fix it by just requiring users to manually set their channel mappings.
That would be amazing, yes!

Literally show me where macOS exposes what speaker goes to which output channel number.
It's in 'Audio Midi Setup' -> Window -> Show Audio Devices

Also I do not own any sound hardware where this would be applicable, so I have nothing to test with.

As I said, I am happy to assist in fixing this as I have a personal interest in this bug being fixed. Let me know if you need/want me to do anything and I'll do so.

Reply #7
Maybe I'll fix it by just requiring users to manually set their channel mappings.
That would be amazing, yes!
It would be easier if I could do this automatically, which leads me to:

Literally show me where macOS exposes what speaker goes to which output channel number.
It's in 'Audio Midi Setup' -> Window -> Show Audio Devices
Yes, I know this, configuration wise, but was hoping you knew a way programmatically to see which physically assigned speaker, such as front left or rear right, is currently configured to which output channel number.

Also I do not own any sound hardware where this would be applicable, so I have nothing to test with.

As I said, I am happy to assist in fixing this as I have a personal interest in this bug being fixed. Let me know if you need/want me to do anything and I'll do so.
Sure, you can assist verifying it once I've found a fix. Maybe help to find the fix, if you know Apple's documentation, or any open source audio players on macOS which support mapped input files and get this right already on your system.

Reply #8
Hmm, the media player scene for MacOS isn't great - especially if we only consider open source. I know VLC uses the correct output channels, but it does not allow the setting of them. However, it may be worth looking at Audacity for the Mac - it supports this function quite cleanly.

Reply #9
Can we get the Playback Speed thing on the Mac version? I always miss that feature, being able to chipmunk or slow down songs on the fly. Would be nice not having to open VLC to do it.

Reply #10
I really miss keyboard support in mac version - i'd like to have space for pause, enter to play selected track