Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: settings for mp3 encoding (Read 6047 times) previous topic - next topic

settings for mp3 encoding

I'm looking to rip audio cd's and want the best possible quality without ripping to wav, but I'm confused by the cdex settings.
I'm using the LAME mp3 encoder (version 1.32, engine 3.98), but the rest of the settings in cdex are confusing.
For example:

1. What version of MPEG?
Choices are: MPEG I, MPEG II OR MPEG II.2

2. What about mode?
Choices are: Stereo, J-Sterio, Forced Stereo, Mono

3. What about Quality?
Choices are: normal (q=5), low (q=9), high (q=2), very high (q=0), preset standard, preset fast standard, preset extreme, preset fast extreme, preset insane, reset abr, preset cbr, preset medium, preset fast medium

4. What about VBR method:
Choices are: vbr default, vbr-old, vbr-new, vbr mtrh, vbr-abr

5. Finally, what about VBR quality?
Choices are: vbr 0 through 9

Is there a website dedicated to this subject?

Again, I want the highest possible quality.
Thanks for your input.

Reply #2
1. MP3 is MPEG I Layer III, therefore the former.
2. Joint stereo. (You might want to search for one of the millions of previous topics on why.)
3. -q3 is now default. CDex's outdated/erroneous info on this, and other things I've read, make me suggest a different program. As for the others, that depends on whether you want to use CBR, VBR or ABR, and at what approximate file size / quality level.
4. The new method is default, so you should trust the developers and community on that.
5. Again, this depends on your preference regarding file size vs. quality.

Again, I want the highest possible quality.
This comes up far too often. And the answer is usually the same: If you want the "highest possible quality", you must use lossless. If you just want the maximum quality that can be produced by LAME*, use 320 kbps CBR. But with lossy formats, there's little point using a quality higher than your personal threshold of transparency.
* (barring freeformat, which isn't widely supported)

Is there a website dedicated to this subject?
Google and Hydrogenaudio forum/wiki search?

Reply #3
1. MP3 is MPEG I Layer III, therefore the former.

They are all layer III, but MPEG 2 added some enhancements, and then there was second round of enhancements usually referred to as MPEG 2.5.

Reply #4
3. -q3 is now default. CDex's outdated/erroneous info on this, and other things I've read, make me suggest a different program. As for the others, that depends on whether you want to use CBR, VBR or ABR, and at what approximate file size / quality level.

I've decided to try out EAC. I downloaded lame-3.98.4.tar but have no F'n clue on how to integrate it into EAC.  The instructions (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame) say to: "Unzip the chosen LAME version into the same directory as EAC". I tried and have failed miserably. I can't find and other install info.

Can someone help?

Reply #5
The tar is just the source code.  You need a compiled executable (assuming you can't compile it yourself).

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Reply #8
There isn't.  Have you read over the provided link?

Sorry. I figured it out. I'm running 64bit windows7 and I forgot to disable the "User Account Control Settings". Once I did that I was able to get the exe into the proper folder.
They (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame) should add that small step since everyone is migrating to 64bit win7 and Microsoft insists on the default "User Account Control Settings" (which prevents extracting exe's into the program folders).

Reply #9
Ok, I've got EAC running.

Where's the latest configuration guide for EAC settings?

I've done the compression options, as recommended by this page: (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame), but what about the other tabs?

I've found a couple different websites, but some of the data contradicts each other.

Reply #10
Here you go - Exact Audio Copy guides.

Stick with the wiki. Guides elsewhere often have outdated and erroneous information.

Reply #11
I'm running 64bit windows7 and I forgot to disable the "User Account Control Settings". Once I did that I was able to get the exe into the proper folder.
They (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame) should add that small step since everyone is migrating to 64bit win7 and Microsoft insists on the default "User Account Control Settings" (which prevents extracting exe's into the program folders).

Copying files into folders your user cannot write to should popup the UAC elevation prompt when UAC is enabled. Disabling is not the solution but only a workaround, and not needed. It might well be that your unpacking software somehow cannot cope with unpacking in non-writeable folders.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #12
I'm looking to rip audio cd's and want the best possible quality without ripping to wav,

That would be FLAC or other lossless compression.