Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC > Foobar > AAC with ReplayGain? (Read 35977 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC > Foobar > AAC with ReplayGain?

Is there a way, that my google-fu is not seeing, to apply AACGain while converting with Foobar? The kind that alters the file permanently for portable players.

Re: FLAC > Foobar > AAC with ReplayGain?

Reply #1
Actually there are 2 ways to do this.

Method 1 - Apply replaygain after converting to aac files
- I'm assuming your aac files are in a mp4 container, which either have a mp4 or m4a extension.
- select the aac files in foobar2000 playlist -> right-click ->  "Scan per-file track gain" (or select album gain). After scanning click "Update File Tags"
- select the same files again -> right-click -> "Apply track Replaygain to file content". (This will only work for aac files in a recent version of foobar2000!)

Method 2 - Apply replaygain while converting from flac to aac
- Make sure the flac files are replaygain tagged. If not, select the .flac files in foobar2000 playlist -> right-click ->  "Scan per-file track gain" (or album gain). After scanning click "Update File Tags"
- select the same files again -> right click -> "Convert" -> "..." -> select your flac preset -> "Load" -> Click "Processing" on the right -> In the Replaygain section click the "..." -> Source mode: "track" (or album) and Processing "Apply Gain" and keep preamp both at 0.0 -> OK
- If you choose "Apply Gain" (without peak) i also recommend to use the "Advanced Limiter DSP" to avoid clipping, so drag "Advanced Limiter" to "Active DSPs"
- Click "back" to go back to "Convertor Setup"
- Now click "Save" -> Create New Preset" and name it "Aac with replaygain" or whatever you want
- Finally click "convert"

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

option 2 .. "select your flac preset" ?

Also i have tried this.. the files, when compared to the same file encoded normally, are identical in volume.

Reply #3
Sorry, i was a bit sleepy. It should be "Aac preset" instead of "flac preset" as you want to convert to aac.

The volume should've been different though.

Reply #4
Hehe, yes it should. I'll try some more later today.

Do i really need to add that Advanced Limiter DSP?

EDIT: Seems to be working now.. What are your opinions on using Replaygain to prevent clipping over the advanced limiter? I am about to transcode hundreds of gigs of FLAC so i'd like to get it right hehe :D

Reply #5

Do i really need to add that Advanced Limiter DSP?

EDIT: Seems to be working now.. What are your opinions on using Replaygain to prevent clipping over the advanced limiter? I am about to transcode hundreds of gigs of FLAC so i'd like to get it right hehe :D

Yeah, I would keep Advanced Limiter DSP in the conversion chain; this sort of situation is exactly what it was designed for.  It only kicks in when it is needed.

Reply #6
Should i not prevent clipping VIA the RG processing drop down then?

Reply #7
How many track do you have with a positive replaygain value? Only for those tracks the limiter will be used. Or if you use the replaygain peak, then it will lower the volume of those tracks so it will not clip. It's up to you.

Reply #8
I cant't say i have ever seen a track with a +DB in Replaygain.

Reply #9
Of course after saying that i found one on the Megadeth Warchest! hehe :P

No edit button here after a certain time?