Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: v1.3.8 final - Slow file launch (Read 2242 times) previous topic - next topic

v1.3.8 final - Slow file launch

I forget which version it was, but I downloaded foobar a long time ago and used that version until recently, and my music files always launched instantly. Now, with my recently downloaded v1.3.8 final version, my music files no longer launch instantly and instead take a second or two.

This isn't a huge issue, but something I've noticed. Only thing different I've done between the two versions is the old one I installed onto my PC whereas v1.3.8 final I did a portable install, so maybe that's why?

Reply #1
What exactly do you mean by "launch"? Please describe the steps to reproduce the problem!

Reply #2
^ When I play an audio file. Either by double-clicking or pressing enter.

Reply #3
Have you switched between directsound and wasapi maybe? or some pre-buffering?

Reply #4
Where do you double-click? In what program?

Reply #5
...the old one I installed onto my PC whereas v1.3.8 final I did a portable install, so maybe that's why?

That's exactly the problem. Without shell extension handling the file opening the program has to wait to see if more files are possibly coming.

Reply #6
^ Ah. Yeah, I figured. So, is there no way to "fix' this problem other than to use the standard install instead of portable?

Reply #7
Modify the file assocations in registry and add "/immediate" parameter to the command line. What's wrong with having properly installed foobar2000 that takes care of association handling?

Reply #8
Modify the file assocations in registry and add "/immediate" parameter to the command line. What's wrong with having properly installed foobar2000 that takes care of association handling?

Some people use various different computers, or have no right for installation of software.

In those cases an USB stick with foobar could come in handy.

Reply #9

Cool. I'll try this. Thanks.

And I prefer not to have files go all over my system if I can avoid it. I try to download a portable version of everything.