Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack 3.96 Release (Read 6956 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #1
... and thank YOU for continuing to develop a wonderful codec! Any word on when a SHNTool module might be available? I know the stdin/stdout issue may have held this up a bit earlier, but now that it's working would you consider making one available? Many sincere thanks.

- M.

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #3
Tnx Bryant for improving WavPack.
With full support to stdin & out(compress & decompress) I
can use it with Speek's Multifrontend!

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #4
Well then, I updated the graphs too!
Wavpack's normal and high modes both had 0.24% better compression.
High mode became somewhat slower though.

Added john33's compile for shorten, indeed faster than the shnutils version.
Links: here or here

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #5
Tnx Bryant for improving WavPack.
With full support to stdin & out(compress & decompress) I
can use it with Speek's Multifrontend!

To transcode to WavPack you need the latest version of Multi frontend (0.91 beta). Older versions give a warning that WavPack doesn't have stdin and therefore cannot be used for transcoding to it.

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #6
M:
I downloaded the Windows version of SHNtool and it's definitely a pretty cool program. However, it seems like it's primarily (or at least originally) a Linux program and all the lossless codecs supported (flac, ape, and shn) are all available in both Windows and Linux binaries. I also downloaded the source and it looks like it's based on the Linux development environment, which makes it pretty difficult for me to work with.

I am not sure whether Jason would be interested in working on support for a [currently] Windows-only codec, but I will shoot him an e-mail. It would be a huge learning curve for me to do alone, but if he was interested I'm sure we could knock it out together pretty quickly.

Sorry I don't have a better answer than that. 

Speek and Hans:
Thanks for updating your comparisons so fast! If only I could get improved versions out that quickly...  B)

BTW, no NT users out there...? 

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #7
I am not sure whether Jason would be interested in working on support for a [currently] Windows-only codec, but I will shoot him an e-mail.

Thank you! We can hope... and since SHNTool support is module-based, he'll probably go along with it. BTW, does the word "currently" in your post imply that you are working on ports of WavPack?

For anyone not already familiar with SHNTool (this is a new URL and e-mail address for the software; the ones I've posted before are out-of-date), the program is currently testing 1.2.0-rc1. Here's what's new:

version 1.2.0 (2002-09-??)
  + added support for aiff, flac and ape file formats; dropped kexis support
    (aiff format supports only AIFF and uncompressed AIFF-C, not compressed
    AIFF-C)
  + added new mode 'conv' (converts files from one format to another)
  + improved functionality in cmp mode (new -s, -l and -f options)
  + join mode can now write to stdout (only with 'wav' output format)
  + shntool now waits for child processes (prevents shorten 3.4/md5sum race
    condition)
  + fixed bug in join mode that caused output file to have incorrect data size
    when the data was not sector-aligned, and -nopad was specified
  + some debugging output now shown if SHNTOOL_DEBUG environment variable
    is set (currently limited to the status of child processes - useful if shntool is
    hanging)

- M.

Wavpack 3.96 Release

Reply #8
BTW, does the word "currently" in your post imply that you are working on ports of WavPack?

I am not working on any ports currently, but I am getting the source code into a state where someone else should be able to do this fairly quickly.