Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 decoded with SoundForge (Read 4249 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 decoded with SoundForge

Hello.

Just registered at the forum because I stumbled onto a perplexing issue.    I got an MP3 song with a pop at the end so I wanted to convert the MP3 to WAV, edit it in SoundForge 4.5 (which happens to be my favourite WAV editor) and then re-compress it with LAME.

I normally convert MP3 to WAV with LAME.exe itself (using Lame-Front-End), which I did, and then loaded it into SoundForge. Then, by chance, I decided to simply drag the MP3 into SoundForge, and I noticed that the pop at the end of the song was different between the loaded WAV file and dragged-in MP3 file (which had a louder pop).

Now I'm confused. I've been working with WAVs, MP3s and SoundForge for years and I never noticed that. Shouldn't both waveforms be identical once loaded into SF ? As far as I understand it, dragging the MP3 into SF basically converts it to WAV in the background and displays the waveform. And shouldn't a decoded MP3 produce exactlly the same WAV file in any decoder ?

I also tried converting the MP3 to WAV using "freac" and the result was identical to the WAV that LAME.exe produced. I then dragged the MP3 into a newer SoundForge Pro 10, and that one again produced a different waveform, just like the older SF 4.5.

If the sound of the pop is different then I'm guessing the whole song could sound different, all depending on whether I drag the MP3 directly into SF or whether I decode it to WAV beforehand. I have no idea why SoudForge(s) produce a different waveform than LAME or freac.

Any ideas what is happening here ?

Thanks.

Reply #1
It's my understanding that there is a "reference decoder" (somewhere) and the decoding should be the same.    Encoding can be different.

If the pop is at the absolute end (maybe a DC offset problem?) maybe  it's just an end-point problem and the file is otherwise the same...

so I wanted to convert the MP3 to WAV, edit it in SoundForge 4.5 (which happens to be my favourite WAV editor) and then re-compress it with LAME.
MP3DirectCut can do limited editing, such as trimming, muting, or fading without decompressing and then going through a 2nd lossy compression step.  And, it should save some time once you get familiar with it.

Reply #2
If the file has a corrupted frame that doesn't decode properly, different decoders might handle it better or worse.