Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame 3.97 beta 1 released (Read 100534 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame 3.97 beta 1 released

Reply #75
Please let me repeat AndyMutz's question:

when using --vbr-new the -q switch produces exact same results, no matter if i use q0,q1,q2,q3 or q4. is that intended?

Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for your help!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=328061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here it produces different results. Try putting -q in the middle (after -V and before --vbr-new).

EDIT: I tried -q0 vs -q5. Values from 0 to 4 indeed seem to produce the same results, from 6 to 9 too. So it looks like effectively there are three -q levels with --vbr-new: 0-4, 5, 6-9.

Reply #76
EDIT: I tried -q0 vs -q5. Values from 0 to 4 indeed seem to produce the same results, from 6 to 9 too. So it looks like effectively there are three -q levels with --vbr-new: 0-4, 5, 6-9.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i would still like to know if this is intended or if it's just a bug which will be corrected in one of the next versions..

-andy-

Reply #77
i would still like to know if this is intended or if it's just a bug which will be corrected in one of the next versions..

-andy-
You might want to try posting your question again, in this thread.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #78
Intended

Reply #79
I notice that MP2 decoding is still broken in 3.97b1:

Code: [Select]
D:\tmp>lame
LAME 32bits version 3.97 (beta 1, Sep 29 2005) (http://www.mp3dev.org/)

usage: lame [options] <infile> [outfile]

<infile> and/or <outfile> can be "-", which means stdin/stdout.

Try:
    "lame --help"           for general usage information
or:
    "lame --preset help"    for information on suggested predefined settings
or:
    "lame --longhelp"
 or "lame -?"              for a complete options list

D:\tmp>lame --decode test.mp2
Error reading headers in mp3 input file test.mp2.

D:\tmp>lame --decode --mp2input test.mp2
Error reading headers in mp3 input file test.mp2.

Is this something that could be fixed for the next/final release?

Reply #80
I notice that MP2 decoding is still broken in 3.97b1:

Is this something that could be fixed for the next/final release?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've uploaded an amended .exe only including the corrected get_audio.c source to Rarewares mp3 section.

Reply #81
I have revisited the decoding issue and discovered that decoding has actually been broken since 3.94beta. The 3.94 beta was OK, but 3.95 and onwards is screwed.

The version I uploaded yesterday was fixed for mp2 but this broke mp3 decoding!!

I have just uploaded a new version, with amended get_audio.c source, with mp2 and mp3 decoding working correctly.

Reply #82
Interestingly the version of LAME I have on my linux installation works fine for MP2 decoding even though it says it's 3.96.1. I'm too much of a newbie to compile these things myself so I probably installed it from the livna RPM repository (I am using Fedora Core 3).

Reply #83
MP1/2 decoding are disabled by default because of the poor error resilience of our decoder.
Enabling mp1/2 decoding sometimes break mp3 decoding because the decoder finds mp1/2 sync words inside mp3 files.

Reply #84
Maybe you can replace your decoder with foobar's fixed mpg123?

Or maybe mpadec, which is also based in mpg123.

Reply #85
Maybe you can replace your decoder

Maybe we can find a brave soul to do it?

Replacing the decoder is planned, but low priority.

Reply #86

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

-andy-
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331823"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Intended
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331835"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi all, first post here so please go easy on me
I'm curious as to know what the differences are now between the 3 settings and which is the best to choose?  If -V2/--preset standard uses q3 by default and -h changes it to q2, then I would presume the top option out of the 3 should be chosen. However, which of the previous settings have q0-q4 merged to? If it has gone to q2 or q3, does this mean the extra lossless compression in q0 is no longer used? (Forgive me if I've got my facts wrong on the previous version)

Thanks guys and I look forward to being able to contribute to the community 

Reply #87
I noticed some strange behavior using the new 3.97b1 compared to 3.90.3. When I encode using EAC, the bitrate setting dropdown box  adds a -b switch to the -V 2 --vbr-new command line.

For example, if I select 128kbps the base bitrate of the mp3 will be 128. I have confirmed this using different bitrates in the dropdown box. I have read the faq stating the dropdown box in EAC compression options has no effect on the command line except if 320kbps is selected, however, it seems with 3.97b1 this does not apply i.e. the dropdown box does affect base bitrates.

I have tried to select "User Defined Encoder" but under that setting LAME just pops up for a split second and disappears when it tries to encode.

Granted I have only used these two versions of LAME so far so I don't know in which exact version this "bug" popped up. Or am i mistaken and this behavior is intended?

Reply #88
I noticed some strange behavior using the new 3.97b1 compared to 3.90.3. When I encode using EAC, the bitrate setting dropdown box  adds a -b switch to the -V 2 --vbr-new command line.

For example, if I select 128kbps the base bitrate of the mp3 will be 128. I have confirmed this using different bitrates in the dropdown box. I have read the faq stating the dropdown box in EAC compression options has no effect on the command line except if 320kbps is selected, however, it seems with 3.97b1 this does not apply i.e. the dropdown box does affect base bitrates.

I have tried to select "User Defined Encoder" but under that setting LAME just pops up for a split second and disappears when it tries to encode.

Granted I have only used these two versions of LAME so far so I don't know in which exact version this "bug" popped up. Or am i mistaken and this behavior is intended?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333119"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe when you use "User Defined Encoder", you don't add "%s %d" to the end of your command line.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #89
I was testing out 3.97b1 and I keep getting the following error on all tracks I'm trying to encode...

Command: C:\Apps\RazorLame\Lame.exe -V 2 "C:\Wavs\Johnny Fiasco Feat Dulce Caramelo - Move It (Original Mix).wav" "C:\Wavs\Johnny Fiasco Feat Dulce Caramelo - Move It (Original Mix).mp3"
LAME 3.97 (beta 1, Sep 29 2005) 32bits (http://www.mp3dev.org/)
CPU features: MMX (ASM used), 3DNow! (ASM used), SSE (ASM used), SSE2
Using polyphase lowpass filter, transition band: 18671 Hz - 19205 Hz
Encoding C:\Wavs\Johnny Fiasco Feat Dulce Caramelo - Move It (Original Mix).wav
      to C:\Wavs\Johnny Fiasco Feat Dulce Caramelo - Move It (Original Mix).mp3
Encoding as 44.1 kHz VBR(q=2) j-stereo MPEG-1 Layer III (ca. 7.3x) qval=3
RazorLame encountered an unknown message from LAME while trying to encode "C:\Wavs\Johnny Fiasco Feat Dulce Caramelo - Move It (Original Mix).wav"!

Encoded 0 files in 0:00:52
There was an unexpected LAME message for one file, please check log for error messages.

I've also tried using -V 2 --vbr-new and it give the same error

has anyone else had this problem with 3.97b1 ?

Reply #90
I was testing out 3.97b1 and I keep getting the following error on all tracks I'm trying to encode...

Try to do a search and you will find a thread explaining the "error".

Short version: there was no error. It's just razorlame having crappy "problem-detecion": it just treats everything which it doesn't know yet as a problem.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #91

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's just something EAC does for the "LAME MP3 Encoder" setting. Switch to "User Defined Encoder" and add %s %d like skelly831 suggested.

Try to do a search and you will find a thread explaining the "error".

Short version: there was no error. It's just razorlame having crappy "problem-detecion": it just treats everything which it doesn't know yet as a problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333132"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here's the RazorLame fix: [a href="http://www.dors.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1743#1743]http://www.dors.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1743#1743[/url]

Reply #92
the fix worked... thanks for the info

Reply #93
I have revisited the decoding issue and discovered that decoding has actually been broken since 3.94beta. The 3.94 beta was OK, but 3.95 and onwards is screwed.

The version I uploaded yesterday was fixed for mp2 but this broke mp3 decoding!!

I have just uploaded a new version, with amended get_audio.c source, with mp2 and mp3 decoding working correctly.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332643"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have taken yet a further look at the decoding and have now uploaded another version that now outputs wave files from decoded mp2 and mp3 files that contain the same number of samples as the outputs from foobar2000. Error checking, etc., remains as before. The d/l includes the amended get_audio.c and main.c sources.

Reply #94
Here's the RazorLame fix:
An even better "fix" is to abandon RazorLame in favor of Speek's ALL2LAME, which never has this problem, and doesn't need to be updated with each new version of LAME.

Regards,
Madrigal

Reply #95
I have taken yet a further look at the decoding and have now uploaded another version that now outputs wave files from decoded mp2 and mp3 files that contain the same number of samples as the outputs from foobar2000. Error checking, etc., remains as before. The d/l includes the amended get_audio.c and main.c sources.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333258"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And another version is now at Rarewares. I believe this version correctly handles 'enc_padding', decoding to the correct number of output wave samples from mp3 input. The outputs from decoding mp2 and mp3 files are exactly the same size as from foobar2000.

Amended source files are included.

Reply #96
why not just drop decoding in lame until you have a decoder worth including?

Reply #97
Because we need it for the frame analyser.

Reply #98
And another version is now at Rarewares. I believe this version correctly handles 'enc_padding', decoding to the correct number of output wave samples from mp3 input. The outputs from decoding mp2 and mp3 files are exactly the same size as from foobar2000.

Amended source files are included.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=333732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What I think will be the final version of this is now at Rarewares. Includes exe, amended source files and diff files for the amendments.

Reply #99
What I think will be the final version of this is now at Rarewares. Includes exe, amended source files and diff files for the amendments.

I have the feeling that you are assuming that the mp2 delay is the one of current TooLame version and the mp3 delay the one of current Lame version.
Regarding mp2, this might cut the beginning of files produced with another encoder, and regarding mp3 the situation is the same unless you are reading the encoder delay field of the header.