Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 won't open (Read 8897 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 won't open

Just re-installed Foobar 2000 v.1.3.8.  I get an error message "Internal error - cannot access configuration folder".  This hasn't happened before.  Any ideas what is causing the problem and how to resolve it?

Foobar2000 won't open

Reply #1
Is the config folder in its usual location at C:\Users\splorp\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 ?
Something special about your file setup?

Foobar2000 won't open

Reply #2
Is the config folder in its usual location at C:\Users\splorp\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 ?

Slightly different: C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Roaming\foobar.  That's the usual way installations are made on my PC.
Nothing special otherwise.  Windows 8.1 but recently trialling W10 (latest build).  All other software on the PC runs normally

Foobar2000 won't open

Reply #3
Please follow Appendix C. With some proper info the cause should be easy to find.

Foobar2000 won't open

Reply #4

Slightly different: C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Roaming\foobar.  That's the usual way installations are made on my PC.
Nothing special otherwise.  Windows 8.1 but recently trialling W10 (latest build).  All other software on the PC runs normally

Success!  Uninstalled Foobar2000, deleted the folders in AppData\Roaming\foobar, and then re-installed.  All seems OK - so far!

Re: Foobar2000 won't open

Reply #5
I don't know if this help anyone by now: I had the same error message, but found a different solution.

Right-click the foobar2000 installation folder > Properties > Security tab
Click "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" and allow "Full control".
Do the same again to for Users.
Done!

BTW: I don't know if this matters, but I didn't (and still don't) have a foobar folder under AppData\Roaming.

Reply #6
Found this thread on google. The above solutions didn't work for me, but what the problem was for me was that I had foobar open on another user account on windows. Once I switched back to the other user, closed foobar, then went back to this account, it opened no problem.

The issue happens because foobar locks the configuration folder while it's open. Hope it helps anyone else who comes across this problem.

Reply #7
This sounds odd, because config folder is created for each user separately, in their respective AppData/Roaming directory or in Documents and Settings/Application Data on older Windows OSes... Currently it is even possible that each user would have different set of plugins loaded, when they are installed through GUI and not manually into Program Files directory.

Reply #8
config folder is created for each user separately, in their respective AppData/Roaming directory or in Documents and Settings/Application Data on older Windows OSes...
If there is no file user_profiles_enabled in folder with foobar2000.exe, then fb2k will use folder where it is installed to save all settings. So, in this case there will be one profile for all users.

Reply #9
OK, good point @Rolin! But was is default setting of installer - enabled or disabled per user profiles? It would be quite bothersome for me to test it on my OS as I keep components ready for all users in installation directory... :/

Reply #10
User profiles are enabled for global installs, and disabled for portable installs.