Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extract Audio from Video (Read 4207 times) previous topic - next topic

Extract Audio from Video

i am looking for a (gui) linux tool which allows extracting (not converting) audio from a video file.

is there some recommended tools avaiable?

Re: Extract Audio from Video

Reply #1
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Just load a video, and select "Save Audio" from the Audio menu (check that "Audio Output" is set to "copy", but it should be the default).

Reply #2
thank you marko,

tbh, i already tried this one ;)

i surely made a mistake, because the resulting audio is always a raw file (missing its file.ending) which is not seekable?

Reply #3
MP4Box can do that.#

It is not difficult to do it with CLI:
ffmpeg -i yourvideo.mp4 -vn -acodec copy blablaaudiofile.mp4
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -

Reply #4
hi franky, i am absolutely not against cli, but a gui seems more practical for multiple files. it is basically a frontend to ffmpeg that i should be looking for, right?

well, i tried the command on some .mp4 files (edited it to audio.m4a), still the audio file is not seekable?

Reply #5
hi franky, i am absolutely not against cli, but a gui seems more practical for multiple files. it is basically a frontend to ffmpeg that i should be looking for, right?
For multiple files CLI can be, quite the opposite, more practical, because you can automate it with scripting.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #6
the resulting audio is always a raw file (missing its file.ending) which is not seekable?

Are you sure? It probably just don't have an extension. You should provide it when choosing the filename to save to, or rename the file afterward. If you don't already know in which format the audio track is, you can check from File - Info.
P.S. Sorry if this is obvious and you already done it.

Reply #7
@magicgoose: sure, but to drag+drop multiple files and click on a button still sounds very tempting to me.

@marko: yes, i already checked for the file infos, though i wished it was an automated process, finding the right extension.

but that is not the problem, as files will play without an extension under linux. the m4a files are non-seekable (in fact they are, but not for every second but every 1,5 min or so).

Reply #8
meanwhile i found "pazera audio extractor", which is exactly what i was looking for. it is not a linux native, but does exactly what i described before (drag+drop+extract).

the extracted audio files have proper extensions, but the resulting files are also not seekable.

if there is a solution to this issue or if you can recommend a native linux based tool like pazera, please let me know.