Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .WMA problem! Help! (Read 12722 times) previous topic - next topic

.WMA problem! Help!

I'm having a hard time playing .wma files in my newly installed Foobar Special Version .. 

I've tried installing the wma 3MB file that was posted in other tread. I also checked ALL checkbox when I first installed "Foo" to make sure that everything will play in this software... all failed... Getting "Info Core" error... Help!! 

I really love this software because of its simplicity and cool MP3 sounds..! 

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #1
Just get the special installer from Case's site (it's the best and most updated installer anyways), and make sure you DO install the foo_wma component during install: HERE
Also, if the necessary codecs aren't on your system already, get the Microsoft redistributional package and install that: HERE

Also you might want to use search for the future.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #3
I'm having a similar problem.

Downloaded Special version and installed.  It suggested i downloded an extra bit (wmfdist.exe) which I did, and installed.

Just in case, I reinstalled Foobar so that the extra DLLs where already there at installation, but that made no difference.

When I search a directory to add to playlist I get
Code: [Select]
WARNING (foo_wma) : DRM protected file is unsupported - You need a license to perform the requested operation on this media file.

and when I try to play a .wma file I get

Code: [Select]
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\Ripped CDs\Gino Vannelli\Brother to Brother\Brother to Brother.wma" (0)
WARNING (foo_wma) : DRM protected file is unsupported - You need a license to perform the requested operation on this media file.
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\Ripped CDs\Gino Vannelli\Brother to Brother\Brother to Brother.wma" (0)

These .wma files play in everything else (eg media player, and WinAmp etc).
I ripped them with media player without changing anything except setting on high quality (if that wasn't already the default)

I'm probably going to re-rip all my CDs into Ogg anyway, but I hate it when stuff doesn't work.

Help !!

Thanks

Tim.C

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #4
Just discovered that these .wma files won't play on media player on a different PC.

Which means that media player added some sort of copy protection when I ripped the files.

Out comes the delete key, and re-rip using EAC into either ogg or mp3 !!!!!!!

that'll teach me to use MS software to save time !!

Tim.C

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #5
DRM = Digital Rights Management
EAC with some commandline encoder (lame, oggenc, mppenc, faac, mac, flac, wavpack etc.) are where you want to go no matter what. Some say WMP can be used for *something*. Well don't belive the hype.

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #6
Right, i downloaded the foo_wma thing;

Firstly, where do i put it, in the main folder or in the components folder?

Secondly, ive tried both (i think) but they wont play. I get an error the same as Tim.C gets. Ive downloaded these files from Napster (i have a 1 month trial) but can only get these in wma format, and have to resort to using Windows Media Player (which i dont mind, but i prefer foobar!)

If anyone knows why its not working, let me know

Steve

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #7
Napster was cool years ago, but now it's just a brand used by yet another online music store. You get DRM protected WMA files now, and as far as I know, the current scheme, which has been in use for several years already, has not been cracked.

If this does not suit you, I would advise you to look elsewhere for music. For your mainstream needs, there's always the old fashioned way.

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #8
Napster was cool years ago, but now it's just a brand used by yet another online music store. You get DRM protected WMA files now, and as far as I know, the current scheme, which has been in use for several years already, has not been cracked.

If this does not suit you, I would advise you to look elsewhere for music. For your mainstream needs, there's always the old fashioned way.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248171"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, the only reason im using Napster is because Virgin Radio are doing a 1 month free trial thing, so ive got nothign to lose. Admittedly, ive got ahold of a few things ive been looking for on Kazaa for ages. Up till yesterday (when i got napster) ive been using Kazaa Lite pretty successfully, and if not, Suprnova, and have managed to get pretty much everything ive wanted.

Perhaps there is a way i can rerecord the file or something, connect a wire from the speaker to the microphone or something. I have no problems with wma's, i just cant play them in the same program as i use for mp3's, which is a bit of a pain!

Magnatune is cool, shame about the limited choice of bands and the fact ive heard of a total of 1 band on the whole site (i think!)

Cheers

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #9
You could wait for someone to arrange for a WMA DRM license, but somehow, I doubt that they would be too happy about a decoder which must output through the player's audio pipeline, which would allow for conversion of DRM protected files. (Which is funny, even their own player and certain plug-ins which were made possible through their license can be captured via Total Recorder, I think...)

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #10
try search for freeme online, and you will probably be able to convert those DRM protected files into non-DRM forms, i am not sure if freeme is still around... just hoping its (I don't think it is legal to use it though, so bewarned

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #11
Hmm, I haven't tried that recently, as I haven't had the desire to acquire or produce any DRM protected files.

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #12
try search for freeme online, and you will probably be able to convert those DRM protected files into non-DRM forms, i am not sure if freeme is still around... just hoping its (I don't think it is legal to use it though, so bewarned
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right-o, i dowloaded Free Me, seems to work, apart from the fact i get a message saying;

Anyone know how to fix that?

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #13
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248228"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Right-o, i dowloaded Free Me, seems to work, apart from the fact i get a message saying;

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #14
Win2kSP2, i didn't install any WMP, i just placed wmasf.dll, wmerror.dll & wmvcore.dll into fb2k dir and foo_wma got working.

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #15
Win2kSP2, i didn't install any WMP, i just placed wmasf.dll, wmerror.dll & wmvcore.dll into fb2k dir and foo_wma got working.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, if you just install the redistributional pack, [a href="http://www.un4seen.co.uk/files/wmfdist.exe]wmfdist.exe[/url], you don't need to have any WMP installed on your system either, and that's probably easier for most people than getting hold of those libraries one by one via Google or whatever... But whatever suits your taste....

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #16
Just install the redistributional pack? There is no need to install it, just unpack these DLLs from him.

.WMA problem! Help!

Reply #17
I got almost the same error using FreeMe

just instead of: "Decrypted content key is too big!"
I got: "Usage: FreeMe [-v] protectedfile"

Can enyone help me??? 

What can I do?

b.r.
SS