Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Common Foobar tag fields (Read 39881 times) previous topic - next topic

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #25
COMPOSITION is not enough to my taste. I also need something like COMPOSITION PART.
For exemple:

- composition = Symphony No.6
- composition part = 2. Andante molto moto "Szene am Bach"

With complex works, like opera, I also need COMPOSITION PART2, PART3...
Exemple:

- composition = Les Troyens
- composition part = DEUXIÈME ACTE
- composition part2 = Tableau 2
- composition part3 = No.16 - Finale : "Complices de sa gloire"

COMPOSITION DATE is useful too ("1788" for a Mozart Opera, better than "2001" for the CD release). Sometimes, there are two different works with the same name but composed at different date. This field should differenciate them.
COMPOSITION DESCRIPTION have sometimes sense ("opera in five acts and nine tableaux")

I also like two different fields for opus number:
- OPUS for the opus codification ("Op.", "BWV", "KV"...)
- OPUSNUMBER for the value "111", "988", etc...
Why? for proper opus displaying and sorting. You can't really sort works by opus number if the field contains something like "BWV 1006" or "KV 553".

- RECORDING DATE is good in some cases (historical performances, especially for jazz). RECORDING PLACE isn't bad too (again, for jazz mostly).

I systematically add the MAIN PERFORMER field for good reason. If I'm short in space (for displaying or file renaming), the player must know the most important PERFORMING field of the file. Is it CONDUCTOR? Is it ENSEMBLE? Or which one of the three PERFORMER field?
For exemple:
- a piano concerto with Karajan as conductor and a young and minor artist as soloist => MAIN PERFORMER = Karajan
- the same piano concerto with an unknown conductor but Pollini playing => MAIN PERFORMER = Pollini.

EDIT:
two other important fields for me are:
- PERIOD: "classical", "renaissance", etc...
- NATION: "Italy", "France"...
With this two fields, I could create playlists with "baroque music in Italy" or "Russia on first-half of the 20th century". Very useful. Known problem: Haendel. He was german, composed italian operas for London theatres. The NATION field is problematic here.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #26
For sets, I use DISC and DISCS. For album, I use TRACKNUMBER and TRACKS.

I assume you're using DISCS and TRACKS for the total amount of discs or tracks an album consists of?
To cater for versions, I use the following tags: FEATURING, LOCATION, LANGUAGE, PERFORMER, REMIXER; STUDIO/LIVE (boolean), and VERSION. I also use the RELEASESTATUS (Official, Promotion, Bootleg) tag.

FEATURING would be a nice on to use, at least a field which can store that kind of information. I'm not sure if this would be the best name for it though. As far as I can think of there wouldn't be a need for a more general name for it, would it? By introducing this field we wouldn't have to store an artist name in the actual ARTIST field (or LEAD_PERFORMER currently in the Matroska specs) if that artist only helped out on one track. You don't see that name on e.g. the cover of the album (with the main artist name that is) so imo those two shouldn't be stored inside one field.
Any more thoughts on this?
I have also given up on the ARTIST tag and use ALBUMARTIST and PERFORMER.

In case of an album of e.g. Linkin Park, in which field would you store the band name? The ALBUMARTIST or PERFORMER field?

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #27
With the Matroska tags, you can specify for a single tag to apply to a single chapter and/or track, all of them, or any combination of them. 
Cool... does the foobar2000 plugin automatically do this?
Not as far as I know, however Peter could tell you best as he is the one developing it.
Wow. The Matroska spec has been thought through insanely well. I'm very impressed.
Well, it definately isn't perfect.  But it was in the planning stages for over a year and had one complete redesign before any code was even written.  It became a choice of either freezing the specs and writing code or being labeled a vaporware group for eternity.

So, what tags are used by the singer, drummer, guitarist, etc?

I don't store that information. If that stuff is needed, I'd throw it in COMMENT  or in an arbitrary field, like GUITARIST or something. It'd be human-readable, but noone in their right mind would try write a formatting string to integrate it.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #28
For sets, I use DISC and DISCS. For album, I use TRACKNUMBER and TRACKS.

I assume you're using DISCS and TRACKS for the total amount of discs or tracks an album consists of?

That's correct.

I find FEATURING a useful field especially with the fusion/mix/sampled music. It is also great for searching to build a playlist.

I have also given up on the ARTIST tag and use ALBUMARTIST and PERFORMER.

In case of an album of e.g. Linkin Park, in which field would you store the band name? The ALBUMARTIST or PERFORMER field?

It doesn't really matter but I use both, got a bit of db purist in me - don't like null fields. Also, provides a bit more flexibility with less coding (i.e., less complicated code) when choosing tags/columns to display.

The PERFORMER tag is akin to the MAIN PERFORMER tag, with the FEATURING tag listing the minor artists.
"There is no point in saving WAV... unless you have a huge HD in a very slow computer" - Jan S. (WAV or FLAC, Space No Problem)

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #29
In addition to assigning a DISC tag to files of albums that span multiple discs, I also have at least one album where I use a DISCTITLE tag, as the different discs all have a separate title (which doesn't sort well, so I need the disc index to sort). How would this fit in Matroska tags? (or any current proposals) As far as I can see MEDIA_PART would be equivalent to my DISC, but I don't see any MEDIA_PART title.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #30
We are still working through some kinks in this.

@guruboolez: Can you tell me anything else about the Opus?  Where does it come from?  Who assigns it and what does it mean?  Also, where does the Opus Number come from?

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #31
Opus and opus number both concern “classical” composer mainly. They are generally printed on CD (it's a part of the composition name), or are available in general lists (web, books, etc...).

For exemple:
http://infopuq.uquebec.ca/~uss1010/catal/v...i/vivacat1.html

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #32
I usually tag my songs as recommended in this article, although I use it a bit differently than it recommends.

Like you guys use %ALBUM ARTIST% for Various Artist type situations, I use ENSEMBLE and PERFORMER for both various artists type situations, and to make a kind of "category" of music.

Thing is, most of my music files on my HD are anime soundtracks and singles. It's nice to be able to put in the metadata what show the OST or song originates from -- for example:
first, the common metadata between two songs on a given OST:
Code: [Select]
ALBUM=Scrapped Princess - Original Sound Track Vol. 1
DATE=2003
GENRE=Anime
ARRANGER=Hikaru Nanase
ARTIST=Scrapped Princess
ENSEMBLE=Scrapped Princess

And the first example, a vocal song that's used as the opening song for the show:
PERFORMER=JAM Project
PERFORMER=Okui Masami
TITLE=Little Wing
TRACKNUMBER=1

and for aother song, a BGM:
TRACKNUMBER=4
TITLE=Rakuweru no attoueki na chikara

And this is how it's used in Various Artists situation

comment[0]: ARTIST=I've
   comment[1]: ALBUM=LAMENT ~GIRL's COMPILATION 4
   comment[2]: TRACKNUMBER=4
   comment[3]: DATE=2003
   comment[4]: GENRE=Pop
   comment[5]: TITLE=Save your Heart -Album Mix-
   comment[6]: ENSEMBLE=I've Sound
   comment[7]: PERFORMER=KOTOKO
   comment[8]: PERFORMER=Utatsuki Kaori

With all that stuff combined, this would give me something to the effect of this screenshot(yes, it's running in Wine): -click-

(amazing that I've had this account for over a year and this is my first post. )

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #33
I have managed to move twice, and be without internet access for a large portion of this time.  I still haven't forgotten about this, its just taking longer than I wanted.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #34
If I may reopen this thread...

in the midst of doing flac tagging, the anal retentive in me wants to be able to document what album a compilation track *originally* appeared on.  So, when tagging flac files from a 'Soul Hits' CD, I want to document that 'Theme from Shaft' originally appeared on the 'Shaft' album (an obvious one, I know, but you get the idea).  And I want to document the year it came out. What do peo-ple use for this?  Is it common to have a 'SOURCE ALBUM' and 'SOURCE ALBUM DATE' tags or somesuch?

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #35
in the midst of doing flac tagging, the anal retentive in me wants to be able to document what album a compilation track *originally* appeared on.  So, when tagging flac files from a 'Soul Hits' CD, I want to document that 'Theme from Shaft' originally appeared on the 'Shaft' album (an obvious one, I know, but you get the idea).  And I want to document the year it came out. What do peo-ple use for this?  Is it common to have a 'SOURCE ALBUM' and 'SOURCE ALBUM DATE' tags or somesuch?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248994"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I personally add an "ORIGINAL_" to the beginnging of whatever field to do that, i.e. ORIGINAL_ALBUM = Shaft, ORIGINAL_DATE = blah. No matter the prefix, it's best to keep it consistent (looks nice in foo_infobox with the auto sorting as all the related tags are all grouped together, for instance). Hope that helps.

-nt
f to c to f to c

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #36
@krabapple, we realized these kind of tags were problematic so, instead of introducing a new ORIGINAL_* tag for each existing tag, we added an ORIGINAL level. This level allows you to nest each existing tag in Matroska.
I realize this isn't very usefull to you since other tag sets don't have a nested structure. Only ID3 has a few set tags to store original info (e.g. ORIGALBUM (TOAL) and ORIGRELEASETIME (TDOR)). For other tag sets you have to create your own though this is never recommended. Like Silverbolt pointed out as well, adding ORIGINAL_*, ORGINAL* or even ORIG* in front of the tags are the most common things people use.
Remember that this will probably be only for your own personal use, as far as I know no program supports these kind of ORIGINAL tags, that is not realy uses them since they officially don't exist or different combinations are used by different people.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #37
I miss in the recommended vorbis tags (some have been mentioned by Canar):

- ALBUM ARTIST: I think this is widely used
- ALBUM SUBTITLE: I use it not only to put the album subtitle, but also for marking single cd's (writing "Single" as the tag value).
- SUBALBUM
- DISCTITLE: sometimes it is necessary when an album has multiple discs, and every disc has it's own title. Example: "A Box of Dreams" from Enya has three discs, named Oceans, Clouds and Stars.

Anyway I think I would name them without spaces to have uniformity with all the other tag names.

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #38
I use the following:

ALBUM
ALBUM ARTIST  (for "curated" compilations, i.e. by a DJ, like the Hôtel Costes Series)
ARRANGER
ARTIST
COMMENT  (here I place the copyright notice in my own recordings)
COMPILATION  (this one is added by iTunes, for compilations like the NOW Series; it's either YES or NO)
COMPOSER
COMPOSITION DATE
CONDUCTOR
DATE
DISC
ENCODEDBY  (as in "EAC MPC Q7")
ENSEMBLE
FEATURING  (useful for all your electronic & hip hop music)
GENRE  (perhaps SUBGENRE would also be useful..? i.e. instead of period when it's classical, or for those neverending electronic music subgenres)
ITUNES_CDDB_IDS  (added by iTunes when used to rip the CD)
ITUNNORM  (added by iTunes when using Sound Check)
LANGUAGE
LIBRETTO  (for the name of the author, not the whole text)
LYRICS  (for the name of the author, not the whole text)
MOOD
PARTINSET  (as in "1/2", added by iTunes, to denote a multi-disc set)
PERFORMANCE DATE  (or RECORDING DATE ?)
PERFORMER  (here I place everybody playing and their instrument between parentheses, or in case of Opera their role or tessitura; as in "Miles Davis (Trumpet)" & "María Callas (Tosca, Soprano)")
TEMPO  (as in "00105 BPM", also added by iTunes, but this one is very useful)
TITLE
TRACKNUMBER
WRITER  (added by iTunes, the same use as COMPOSER)

whew!

Common Foobar tag fields

Reply #39
I miss in the recommended vorbis tags (some have been mentioned by Canar):

- ALBUM ARTIST: I think this is widely used
- ALBUM SUBTITLE: I use it not only to put the album subtitle, but also for marking single cd's (writing "Single" as the tag value).
- SUBALBUM
- DISCTITLE: sometimes it is necessary when an album has multiple discs, and every disc has it's own title. Example: "A Box of Dreams" from Enya has three discs, named Oceans, Clouds and Stars.

Anyway I think I would name them without spaces to have uniformity with all the other tag names.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253431"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the reference you mean? I included only the "official" recommended tags. I know more are being used since everyone can create their own but it would be an endless process to include them all. It would also be pointless since each name might slightly differ again depending on someone's preference.
Based on the reference we were able to create the Matroska tag set which should be capable of storing all important (used) tags now. Please let me know if I'm incorrect.