Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What band do you miss the most? (Read 40777 times) previous topic - next topic

What band do you miss the most?

Reply #25
> Pink Floyd (IMO they broke up in 1983)

> The Police (I miss this band a lot)

(...and more recently...)

> Hole (...Riot grrrl...Yeah baby!  They were just getting their sh*t together with Live Through This and Celebrity Skin...oh well...between heroin and hatred I guess there was no hope for them)

> The B-52's (the definitive new wave band)

I like all of these bands so much that I have all of their albums (except for the live PF's).  What I wouldn't give for any of them to get back together...

Reply #26
Heh, pretty funny that Pink Floyd is mentioned several times here while they officially never broke up.

Pink Floyd still exists today, although I don't think they will release new work again.

OTOH, maybe you all mean you want the original Pink Floyd, with Roger Waters back ? Or maybe even with Syd Barrett ?
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #27
Heh, pretty funny that Pink Floyd is mentioned several times here while they officially never broke up.

Pink Floyd still exists today, although I don't think they will release new work again.

OTOH, maybe you all mean you want the original Pink Floyd, with Roger Waters back ? Or maybe even with Syd Barrett ?

Personally, I consider the real Pink Floyd to have disbanded after the Roger Waters' farewell album, The Final Cut in 1983.

After that, The David Gilmour WeWannaBeAsMeaningfulAsWeWereWhenWeWerePinkFloydBecauseWeMissThoseDays Band released A Momentary Lapse Of Reason in 1987, and finally The Division Bell  in 1994 (with some compilations in between).   

Just my own view of things, anyway.

Reply #28
Black Sabbath

All four original members were playing together during a couple Ozzfests.  I think they even released a reunion CD of some sort (with a couple new songs even.)

Soundgarden was the first thing that popped into my mind upon seeing this topic, even though I don't own a single CD of theirs.  I heard a SG song on the radio the other day, and the first thing that occured to me was "hey, this is really  f***ing good - way better than I remember it."  Actually, the first thing that occured to me was that it would make for extremely difficult karaoke, but that's another topic entirely...

I think at the time when it was still new, the radio was oversaturated with a lot of music that sounded alike, and it made it hard to pick out the few good things.  I hate listening to the radio today too.  I can't think of hardly any music I've liked over the past several years that has gotten any airtime.  Maybe five or ten years down the road I'll hear some song that was new this year but I never noticed because of the endless sea of overplayed crap.
I am *expanding!*  It is so much *squishy* to *smell* you!  *Campers* are the best!  I have *anticipation* and then what?  Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
http://www.phong.org/

Reply #29
I really miss Nirvana. So much feeling in the music, something definitely lacking with most of the music out there today.

Smashing Pumpkins is another band. Could play the most pissed off song one moment and the most delicate piano song the next.

Led Zeppelin would probably still be recording albums today if their drummer didn't die. Classic Rock at its best.

What I would give to see Pink Floyd in concert just once. They were gone by the time I discovered them.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #30
nobody mentioned The Beatles?

For me the most missed artist is John Lennon. There's no artist where I get what he's saying so well. And he had the most amazing personality ever.

Reply #31
Timoria (an italian rock band)
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #32
Personally, I consider the real Pink Floyd to have disbanded after the Roger Waters' farewell album, The Final Cut in 1983.

well, "the final cut" is a roger waters solo album performed by the help of two other pf members.

imho "the division bell" is more floydian than roger's "final cut", "pros & cons" and "radio kaos" are. I like roger's "amused to death".

Reply #33
The Queen, The Who and The Genesis

Timoria (an italian rock band)

Me too..
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #34
On the GNR subject, they released a set of DVDs for appetite and the use your illusions a few weeks ago, I sprang for them since they were under 20 dollars each, so if you need your axl fix since he's essentially a recluse now, they're worth it. I kind of feel like axl should have died before "the spaghetti incident" and the "kicking the crap out of stephanie seymour incident"-compared to the cheese that defined the era, the guy had the morrison/cobain aura to him. I suppose we knew it was all over with them when axl decided he wouldn't allow women in his videos post-novermber rain, giving us the computer generated dolphins that were "estranged", incidentally my favorite of theirs.

Reply #35
nobody mentioned The Beatles?

For me the most missed artist is John Lennon. There's no artist where I get what he's saying so well. And he had the most amazing personality ever.

I would of mentioned them but for the first post:

Please, no dead people here, just bands that may actually come back.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #36
I would have to say I miss Acid Bath.  They had so much potential...  They were already great, but you could feel something huge on the horizon for them, until Audie was killed.  That was truly a sad day for me.

Reply #37
Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, MBV...

Not that I want them back in any form though. Split-ups are healthy thing, generally.
Reunions on the other hand are mostly rubbish. Just think of Sex Pistols.

Reply #38
Acid Bath.

I consider them one of my alltime favorite bands but one of the dudes died or something after only releasing 2 albums. What is especially torturous is they were gonna release a third "double" album but at the last minute pulled the project. bastards.

Reply #39
I'd love to see the Pixies together again.

Same goes for the spanish bands "Surfin' Bichos" and "El niño gusano", and the french one "Diabologum".

Man I miss them.

Reply #40
"Dead Can Dance" 

and a project named

"This Mortal Coil" B)

Reply #41
The Miles Davis Quintet/Sextet (from the mid-fifties to early sixties)...
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #42
boney M.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #43
They just finished playing "November Rain" on the radio where I live.
And it ocurred to me how much I miss Guns N'Roses.
They used to be my favorite band, back when Bush Sr. was still president!
They were supposed to be making a comeback... almost three years ago!

Another long gone/much missed band is one third of HA's "Holy Trinity", which consists of: EAC, FB2k and Pink Floyd (almost anyone here loves this stuff, I do!)
Does anyone have any idea if they will ever come back?

So, how about you?
Who do you miss, and why?
Please, no dead people here, just bands that may actually come back.

Glen Miller.  Really smooth sound.  And, yes I'm a senior citizen.

Sorry.  Didn't see the 'no dead people' restraint.  Did I mention that I'm a senior citizen?  I can't remember.

Reply #44
Sorry.  Didn't see the 'no dead people' restraint.  Did I mention that I'm a senior citizen?  I can't remember.
LMAO.

I see a few people have already mentioned the Pixies.  When they reformed and did Bam Thwok it was a bit of a disappointment though.

Another vote here for Soundgarden; Superunknown was superb.  I do enjoy Audioslave, but I'd rather have RATM and Soundgarden around.

That said, I'm not sure that I agree with bands reforming.  There is often a good reason that bands split.

Also, you could say that, without the break-ups we'd never have bands like Audioslave, Foo Fighters, Johnny Marr would never have played with The The, and of course not forgetting Phil Collins and Zwan...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #45
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

I was able to at least see them once in concert.  Probabaly the best live show I have seen, and I've seen my share...

As far as I know, they are no longer together as this group.  They have quite a few side-projects, but not quite the same.

Reply #46
pantera =(

Reply #47
The Glenn Miller Orchestra. (I'm old. So?)
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #49
The Glenn Miller Orchestra. (I'm old. So?)

In the Digital Mood. 

Paul

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein