Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Empty date field isn't considered empty by fb2k (Read 984 times) previous topic - next topic

Empty date field isn't considered empty by fb2k

I have some FLAC files downloaded from Japanese digital distributor Mora that have an empty date field (empty, no space whatsoever), but foobar2000's formatting doesn't consider it as empty (means if you put it in square brackets, it still shows):

Any clue why? A "clean up" or "del" on "Date" field does fix the problem, but I'm just curious why it is the case.

Thanks.

Re: Empty date field isn't considered empty by fb2k

Reply #1
The field boolean detector does not detect whether the tag is an empty string, but whether it is defined at all.

Reply #2
The field boolean detector does not detect whether the tag is an empty string, but whether it is defined at all.

Is it possible to have a defined but empty field? Like, if I want to create one myself how should I do it?

Reply #3
flac input.wav --tag=date=

Composer and Performer are usually blank coming from EAC presets.

I would clean up the tags. Make warning symbol appear in a playlist column to highlight tracks with issues in their tags. Or use $iflonger() in place of square brackets.

Reply #4
Just a note. FLAC used to write empty tags to files but it was fixed in 2017 with FLAC v1.3.2.

Reply #5
Just a note. FLAC used to write empty tags to files but it was fixed in 2017 with FLAC v1.3.2.

Thanks for the info.

These files appeared to be encoded with "reference libFLAC 1.3.1 20141125". So indeed probably why they have this issue to begin with