Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best Alternate for iTunes Required to Sync iPod (Read 6405 times) previous topic - next topic

Best Alternate for iTunes Required to Sync iPod

Hi.

I reformatted my computer a few weeks ago, and I don't want to install iTunes again. Largely because it's very slow and has many processes that run in the background even when I'm not using iTunes.

So is there an alternative to iTunes for putting music onto my iPod? My requirements are that it should be pretty straight forward to use, just like iTunes, and not a lot of complicated fiddling which I'm not very good with.

If it's of any help, I use Foobar2000.

Reply #1
then use iPod manager for Foobar2000 - search components on Foobar2000 site
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #2
Code: [Select]
http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

Reply #3

I agree, foo_dop is the way to go. You will still have to install iTunes, or at least some components of the installation, but once that's done you won't have to touch it ever again.

Reply #4

I agree, foo_dop is the way to go. You will still have to install iTunes, or at least some components of the installation, but once that's done you won't have to touch it ever again.

What do you mean exactly when you say I'll have to install 'some components'?

Reply #5
Check out the foo_dop software requirements wiki: http://yuo.be/wiki/dop:start#requirements

It is possible to extract those components from the full iTunes installer with something like 7zip.

Reply #6
MediaMonkey syncs iPods without requiring any iTunes components.

Reply #7
...as well as WinAmp.

Reply #11

...as well as WinAmp.

What about the iPhone and iPod touch?

Reply #12
I really like SharePod.  It's simple and quick. It also allows you to copy music FROM iPod to PC, unlike iTunes. I have it on iPod and run it from there (the entire app is one executable file), so that way you can use your iPod on any computer.

Reply #13

Not quite accurate, MM uses components of quicktime and itunes to sync ipods/phones. I would guess the same components that foobar needs as well.

All this aside, you will still need itunes to backup/update your ipod/phone and sync other most other content (images/video/contacts/etc).

Reply #14
I was a bit annoyed when SharePod began requiring .NET, so I'm still using 1.7.  Too bad I can't get anything more recent that still doesn't require .NET, since this version has some serious problems.

When did it start allowing you to transfer from your PC?

Reply #15
I was a bit annoyed when SharePod began requiring .NET, so I'm still using 1.7.  Too bad I can't get anything more recent that still doesn't require .NET, since this version has some serious problems.

Another feature is that occasionally iTunes would refuse to copy a video, saying its unplayable which in practice may or may not be true, but SharePod copies all files no problem. Also, I should mention that SharePod is not perfect. It won't place podcasts under 'Podcasts' menu item (as all other non-iTunes programs i tried, though) and sometimes crashes on start.
About requiring .NET - .NET is already there on Vista and Windows 7 AFAIK.
When did it start allowing you to transfer from your PC?

You mean back to PC? Don't know. I use it for several months and it always did.

Reply #16
I've been using SharePod for several years, lol.

I did some research and transferring from PC might have begun as early as 1.8.

Regarding Vista/Win7, I still use XP (without .NET on my main PC) and don't plan on changing any time soon.

Reply #17
is there any software that can access the ipod touch without the need to install anything from itunes including drivers?

Reply #18
I think Apple "fixed" this "problem" when then developed the iPhone/iTouch. One might be up against the DMCA implementing this capability.