Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: set track numbers to start at a specific value when ripping? (Read 2281 times) previous topic - next topic

set track numbers to start at a specific value when ripping?

In foobar2000 can you set track numbers to start at a specific value when ripping a CD?

I have in mind ripping all the tracks of a single work that extends over several CDs. If the first CD contains tracks 1 - 21 (say) I would like the foobar2000 converter to let me set the track numbering of the 2nd CD to start at track 22 and then increment by 1 for each track ripped from CD #2.

Is that possible? (I'm aware that Winamp does this).

Reply #1
Hasn't anyone wanted to rip multiple CDs to consecutively-numbered tracks??
Simple example:
CD 1 > tracks  1 - 21 ripped to tracks  1 - 21
CD 2 > tracks  1 - 10 ripped to tracks 22 - 30

Isn't there a neat way to do this using foobar2000 (other than manually renumbering tracks after ripping)?

Reply #2
i don't think what you're asking is possible.

but this should make manual re-numbering a little easier:

-select tracks in playlist>right click>properties
-right click track number>format from other fields
-under pattern...

Code: [Select]
$add(%tracknumber%,12)

12 would represent the number of tracks in the first disk - modify as necessary.

Reply #3
Thanks.

How does one get stuff added to future versions of foobar2000?

Reply #4
You are trying to falsify the information of the album. You should use Disc Number for what you are doing.

Reply #5
You are trying to falsify the information of the album. You should use Disc Number for what you are doing.

Normally, I'd do what you suggest. But this time, I'm trying to recreate one track per 30 minute episode of an old radio series whose original 30-minute  episodes were split into 10-15 short tracks when put onto CD! So, although I'm changing the album format, I am being true to the original 1/2 hour radio series' episodes. I plead Not Guilty 

Reply #6
Sure, but the point is that fb2k tags numbers as they are on the CD. It has no way of knowing whether they ‘should’ have those values or not. In that sense, it is technically being true to the CD and precluding attempts to rip with ‘false’ numbers. Semi-automatic renumbering afterwards would seem to be the only way to do this.

In that sense, what marc2003 suggested might be overly complicated. The Tools menu under Properties provides this:
Auto Track Number : Automatically fills Track Number and Total Tracks fields, according to original order of tracks that you've opened the Properties dialog for. Tracks placed in different folders are assumed to be separate albums and are counted separately.
So, you could put all the tracks you want to be numbered consecutively the same folder, load them into a playlist, ensure they’re ordered in the desired way, and automatically number them with a few clicks. I see no reason why this wouldn’t work for multiple folders loaded into a single playlist and processed in one sweep.

Reply #7
Thanks for everyone's helpful comments.

For what I want to do, I think the simplest thing is just to rip all the CD's tracks individually to a single folder, using the file name pattern: "[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. %title%". Then the order the files are listed in the folder will be right for my purposes: all CD 1's tracks from first to last, then CD 2's tracks similarly ordered, etc. I can then easily choose those tracks which form episode 1, those which form episode 2, etc and convert them to (e.g.) episode 1.ogg, episode 2.ogg.