Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: After splitting to individual FLAC files should I keep the original FLAC/CUE (Read 2546 times) previous topic - next topic

After splitting to individual FLAC files should I keep the original FLAC/CUE

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,109089.0.html

I've looked at this thread already and I guess my question is pretty similar so I'm just clarifying a few things.
The original file came as 1 FLAC, 1 CUE (and 1 log if it matters). I used cuetools to split this into the individual FLACs and then deleted the CUE (new one) and other files that it created after splitting. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake. Anyway, do I need to keep the original FLAC? I'd like the option to recombine the individual files in the future if need be and from what I've gathered from that thread I think I can safely get rid of the original FLAC while keeping the CUE and I should be fine?

Re: After splitting to individual FLAC files should I keep the original FLAC/CUE

Reply #1
You can concatenate the split files any time later and recreate the disc image. No, you don't need the original. I recommend keeping the original CUE file, so that you know how long the gap before track 1 was, to successfully verify the disc with AccurateRip. I prefer not to keep the (HTOA) file, which contains the pregap, if it is silent, because it looks strange in track listing. In Settings on the first page I select, Gaps handling > Gaps Appended, to not create a HTOA.

You don't even need to use CUETools to concatenate the audio files, and could choose another tool like Foobar.

Re: After splitting to individual FLAC files should I keep the original FLAC/CUE

Reply #2
Thanks! Getting rid of the original FLAC should save me a good bit of space.

Reply #3
The original .cue does not cost too much space.

Assuming you use CUETools for splitting, I have settings as follow:
* The AccurateRip tab: check the boxes under "Encode and Verify". Then it will tag the new files with AccurateRip ID, and that is enough for CUETools to recognize and retro-verify them.
* The Advanced tab: under Tagging, I have Write CTDB tags on Encode as True, and also the Write CDTOC tag.

Maybe it is just me, but I ripped the larger part of my collection by dBpoweramp, which use AccurateRip identification tags and CDTOC. I used EAC and rip as one for a few that had Hidden Track One Audio, back when I didn't know precisely how to deal with that. Turns out that dBpoweramp did that well enough for me too, but I was a bit careful back in the day.