Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wireless connection between PC / Stereo? (Read 3747 times) previous topic - next topic

Wireless connection between PC / Stereo?

Hope I'm in the right place for this question.  I'm looking for a way to un-tether my PC from my stereo.  I have a desktop PC, using Foobar2000 to play my music.  Right now I'm using the headphone jack with an RCA adapter to go to my Marantz 2270.  Unfortunately this means a terrible furniture arrangement... in short I need a wireless solution.

What's the preferred solution for going wireless without losing a ton of audio quality?  Wireless DAC?  (if so, which one?)  Or Apple Airport?  A bluetooth solution?  I think I'd like to skip the uPNP route, because I don't want to use a secondary controller other than the computer to directly to play things from Foobar...

Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
Hope I'm in the right place for this question.  I'm looking for a way to un-tether my PC from my stereo.  I have a desktop PC, using Foobar2000 to play my music.  Right now I'm using the headphone jack with an RCA adapter to go to my Marantz 2270.  Unfortunately this means a terrible furniture arrangement... in short I need a wireless solution.

What's the preferred solution for going wireless without losing a ton of audio quality?  Wireless DAC?  (if so, which one?)  Or Apple Airport?  A bluetooth solution?  I think I'd like to skip the uPNP route, because I don't want to use a secondary controller other than the computer to directly to play things from Foobar...

IMO the best wireless solution is a high quality network media player that is wired to the audio system and plays files off of a PC that it is networked to. The networking can be wired or wireless.

In my case, the preferred networked media player is the Arris DVR that I rent from my cable provider. Unfortunately, FB2K is out of the picture for this application.

I actually have two other solutions. One is my networked BD player that plays files stored on my PC network or off of the web, and the other is my AVR that has a built in network audio player. They all work reliably, they all sound good, but their ease of use varies. The ease of use is probably more about which one I am the most familiar with, which is the Arris.

So to summarize, the recommended solution is a network media player hard wired to the audio system. It can be a stand alone box, it can be a cable company DVR, it can be built into an AVR, or it can be built into a BD player.  I actually never spent a dime to get any of theses media players that I mentioned. They all came as part of something I wanted to get for some other purpose.

Reply #2
I used to use Logitech's wireless music sender, which used Bluetooth. It worked okay, although the connection did need re-linking every now and then. The Logitech looks like it is out of production, but there are many other brands available.

There are also wi-fi music sender/receivers. I haven't used them, so can't comment.