Skip to main content

Topic: fb2k 1.2.5b - skip over hidden files & subfolders (Read 1636 times) previous topic - next topic

fb2k 1.2.5b - skip over hidden files & subfolders
(to developers) What do you guys introduce this:
“Add Folder” now skips over hidden files & subfolders

for?
That's really bad idea, actually. Sometimes file attributes may be used as flags, differently from their names. I mean if a folder has Hidden attribute set it doesn't obligatory mean that we don't want to see that folder.
Please make this feature optional.
Magically yours
Raistlin

• eahm
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1
100% agree to make the feature optional.

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #2
It now behaves like Media Library behaves. If you want to load hidden folders or hidden files just add those locations directly. This only has effect for subfolders or files inside loaded folders.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
In my opinion this behaviour should be optional - for both ML and "Add Folder". There could be just single checkbox (yes, in Advanced Preferences) that would disable or enable hidden files and folders. I also suffer from necessity of manual addition of hidden dirs.

• dhromed
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
If you have a regular folder with regular songs that you play, why is the folder hidden?

I mean if a folder has Hidden attribute set it doesn't obligatory mean that we don't want to see that folder.

...wha
  • Last Edit: 13 April, 2013, 06:16:50 AM by dhromed

Reply #5
If you have a regular folder with regular songs that you play, why is the folder hidden?

Because
Sometimes file attributes may be used as flags

In my audio/video collection, I use Read-only, Hidden, System attributes for folders this way.
Magically yours
Raistlin

Reply #6
If you want to load hidden folders or hidden files just add those locations directly

So why do you force me to do something that wasn't required before? I'm not gonna discuss how many users really need to skip hidden files and folders during adding - it's just AI, and AI is always a bad idea (and that's why M$ likes it so much). Just make this feature optional. That's it.
  • Last Edit: 13 April, 2013, 06:24:01 AM by GCRaistlin
Magically yours
Raistlin

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #7
Next version will have configuration option for this.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Here it's bit different. I have private FTP server to share some files with several friends - they sometimes download what I recommend to them. Some directories are hidden to exclude them from FTP view. It's easier to expose main directory of some partition and then mark few folders as hidden, rather than manually add ~25 folders into FTP config, except that 3-6 that shouldn't be available. And if something shouldn't be publicly available inside those directories which are already visible, then it's even much easier to play with hidden attribute, rather than with manual FTP config.

• Case
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer (Donating)
Reply #9
New beta is out now that has the option to toggle this behavior. You can find it in Advanced Preferences -> Tools -> Include hidden files & subfolders when adding whole folders.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
But it works only for "File\Add Folder". I hoped this will work for Media Library either... But it isn't, I tested it. Could this option be broaden to Media Library?