Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bit perfect Cd ripping made DEAD easy, my review of Easy Audio Copy (Read 10306 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit perfect Cd ripping made DEAD easy, my review of Easy Audio Copy

Are you a budding audio snob? Do you think of yourself as an audio purist or audiophile of any kind? Then you’re probably a lot like me. I have been using Windows Media Player and iTunes for years and thought that when I put a CD in, I would get an exact copy (especially if I selected a lossless option) but it turns out this is just not so! MOST media players and rippers use programming tricks to sort of “guarantee” a passable result every time. For years I have had issues with some CD’s having ticks or audio glitches after ripping and I now know, or at least strongly suspect, most of these come from poor or non-existent error correction that is NOT designed to give you bit perfect copies but to work 99% of the time for most users.

Well, knowing that the CD’s I have made and the “archival” files I had saved to my PC were actually NOT bit perfect copies; I endeavored to find out HOW I could make bit perfect CD copies. Like most people in that boat I came across Exact Audio Copy. After spending several hours experimenting and reading FAQ’s and Tutorial Guides I “thought” I figured it out and was doing it right. I ended up with FLAC files as desired and they did sound great… Still not sure I was doing everything right and afraid I might be “missing out” on something I came across Easy Audio Copy at the website for Andre Weithoffs’ Exact Audio Copy.

I know that EAC is free and Easy costs $29.90 but I think for people not wishing to invest HOURS of their time and then still have doubts, it is worth it.

Designed by the same man and utilizing the same ripper it is, as the name might suggest, DEAD easy to use. A sparse and simple interface that starts with asking you what format you wish to use MP3, FLAC or WAV with a very succinct and easy to follow explanation of the choices. Then it is as simple as popping in a CD. The software does almost all the work after that. It searches to try to decide what CD you’ve inserted and then picks up album art. If that album art looks right you double click it and a track listing pops up. If you are provided with more than one suggestion just try to choose the album art that matches what you have at hand and then double check the track listing to make sure it matches. Then you click ok on the track listing page and it does all the work for you!

DO NOT download the 14 day free trial unless you have the $30 free to purchase the full program because TRUST me you’re going to want it! When on the chase for great audio, there are things that we all seem to do, find the best speakers and audio components we can afford, seek out great headphones for different applications and at various price points and If you’re also a musician then you have to factor in the CONSTANT pursuit of “Grail tone” with new gear, amps, tubes etc ad inifinitum. With SO much effort and expense it just seems ODD not to start with pure audio copies of CD and this program offers you just that!
My only suggestion for Mr. Weithoff is that he use some sort of “brand” name. EAC is extremely well known and respected amongst audio purists and it is a shame that this program may not get much notice as they both have the same initials. Maybe changing it to Simple Audio Copy might be in order so those in the know can call it SAC by the creator of EAC.

I am not in ANY way associated with Andre Weithoff nor Easy Audio Copy. I just love it and thought it might help other like me, looking for the best audio they can get. You can read about, get the trial and buy it here.. http://www.easyaudiocopy.com/

Reply #1
This is advertising plain and simple. You joined today and posted this 10 minutes later so your intent was to push this product.

Reply #2
This is advertising plain and simple. You joined today and posted this 10 minutes later so your intent was to push this product.

You're free to see it that way if you like but I have no interest in advertising for Andre W or his software.  I was just truly sad to see how little attention the software had garnered.  There IS a discussion here about it http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...103667&st=0 but sadly, it seems that people aren't interested in pure audio so much anymore with streaming options etc.

After I had done my review I was looking to see if there were other reviews or discussions on the software and that is how I came across Hydrogen Audio and decided to share here as well.

IF Bit Perfect audio matters to someone I thought they might like the benefit of my own experience in that area.

Reply #3
People get bit-perfect audio using Exact Audio Copy which is free, as you know. You did try Exact Audio Copy but you never said it does not produce bit-perfect rips. You also didn't say that Easy Audio Copy produce bit-perfect results, but you did not verify. You only mentioned it is easy to use and it costs 30$.

Aside from EAC, we also have CUETools which is also free and gives you bit-perfect rips. And foobar2000 supports secure ripping for free, too.

So, if bit-perfect audio matters to people your experience doesn't really help. Its just a lot of words with no proof.

Reply #4
Are you a budding audio snob? Do you think of yourself as an audio purist or audiophile of any kind? Then you’re probably a lot like me. I have been using Windows Media Player and iTunes for years
Honestly, there's no one here like you.

David.

Reply #5
People get bit-perfect audio using Exact Audio Copy which is free, as you know. You did try Exact Audio Copy but you never said it does not produce bit-perfect rips. You also didn't say that Easy Audio Copy produce bit-perfect results, but you did not verify. You only mentioned it is easy to use and it costs 30$.

Aside from EAC, we also have CUETools which is also free and gives you bit-perfect rips. And foobar2000 supports secure ripping for free, too.

So, if bit-perfect audio matters to people your experience doesn't really help. Its just a lot of words with no proof.

Boy there sure seem to be a lot of smugly superior people here.  I find that odd since you can't be troubled to read my review. ... "After spending several hours experimenting and reading FAQ’s and Tutorial Guides I “thought” I figured it out and was doing it right. I ended up with FLAC files as desired and they did sound great… Still not sure I was doing everything right and afraid I might be “missing out” on something I came across Easy Audio Copy at the website for Andre Weithoffs’ Exact Audio Copy."

I am certain, as has been confirmed by MANY with tools and techniques I am not familiar with, that EAC, WHEN USED CORRECTLY does give Bot perfect results.  I was just not entirely certain I WAS using it correctly.  There were far too many options and posibiliteis to me.  Easy Audio Copy removes ALL the guesswork.  For me that was a Godsend.

Lastly, your comment about no proof puts me on trial with no assumption of innocence!  I didn't know that I had to offer PROOF to offer my opinion to people who might be like me and not as "savvy" as some on these forums.

I was only trying to help people.  If this doesn't apply to you or help you then why waste time on this thread?

Reply #6
Are you a budding audio snob? Do you think of yourself as an audio purist or audiophile of any kind? Then you’re probably a lot like me. I have been using Windows Media Player and iTunes for years

David.

I choose to imagine you are being facetious rather than insulting.  I am aware that many here take this quite seriously but man, I am always amazed at the insensitivity, and superior minded attitudes of people on specialized forums.

I am quite sure that I have advanced knowledge in several areas that MOST of the registered users here do not including Theology, Military (Tactics, History & Science) and Guitar  just to name a few but I would never presume to abuse someone less informed than I who is seeking knowledge in any of these areas.

I really don't have a surplus of free time to become an expert in all things audio but I do try to increase in knowledge when and where possible and I am sure there have to be a few people here who are or have been in a similar position to me on Lossless audio and Bit Perfect CD ripping.

Reply #8
This may be related to not speaking native english but where in this thread is a review? I only see some sentences trying to spread excitement like in advertising.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #10
For me it's more about giving Andre the benefit of the doubt. Rounding up shills and sending them to forums doesn't seem like his style.

I don't see why people wouldn't be excited about finding an easy-to-use ripper that's basically EAC with an idiot-proof interface.

I think it's a nice start, but, like Andre's other big project, the software and its website have that "permanently in beta" feel. And having to download and run a separate app to get to the advanced settings is more than a little weird.

Reply #11
Andre doesn't strike me as a guy that would do that either.  I regret that my post looks like I might be insinuating otherwise.

Some people actually get excited when they encounter software that works for them and want to share their experiences.

Reply #12
I don't see why people wouldn't be excited about finding an easy-to-use ripper that's basically EAC with an idiot-proof interface.

Well I'd say dbPoweramp is just as idiot proof really which I happily pay for. If the OP had been a regular and then posted this I'd probably have accepted it as genuine but as I pointed out this was posted 10 mins after registering which strikes me as coming here to specifically push a product.

Reply #13

David.

I choose to imagine you are being facetious rather than insulting.  I am aware that many here take this quite seriously but man, I am always amazed at the insensitivity, and superior minded attitudes of people on specialized forums.
Sorry, I was being silly. I meant simply that almost no one who reads HA much will be using Windows Media Player to rip CDs. Due to the FAQ, wiki, and entire forum sections devoted to ripping, anyone who lands here will pretty quickly learn about several approaches to accurately ripping CDs. They might find it confusing, but they're not going to be "a lot like you" and think they're getting perfect rips from Windows Media Player.

btw. what you posted wasn't really a review. I'm still none-the-wiser about why I can trust Easy Audio Copy to give me perfect rips, or what it looks like, or what the user experience is, or how fast it is, or what it does with scratched CDs, or...

I think the problem is you registered, and immediately posted something for completely the wrong audience.

There might well be very good reasons for HA regulars to be interested in Easy Audio Copy - it's just you didn't mention any of them. Your posts either sounded like someone advertising, or like someone travelling to Egypt and saying "guys, I've got this great stuff to tell you about, it's called sand and you won't believe how useful it is!"

Please, don't take any offence because none is intended - I'm just trying to explain why you've got such a bad reaction to your first post here.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #14

Boy there sure seem to be a lot of smugly superior people here.  I find that odd since you can't be troubled to read my review. ... "After spending several hours experimenting and reading FAQ’s and Tutorial Guides I “thought” I figured it out and was doing it right. I ended up with FLAC files as desired and they did sound great… Still not sure I was doing everything right and afraid I might be “missing out” on something I came across Easy Audio Copy at the website for Andre Weithoffs’ Exact Audio Copy."

I am certain, as has been confirmed by MANY with tools and techniques I am not familiar with, that EAC, WHEN USED CORRECTLY does give Bot perfect results.  I was just not entirely certain I WAS using it correctly.  There were far too many options and posibilities to me.  Easy Audio Copy removes ALL the guesswork.  For me that was a Godsend.

Lastly, your comment about no proof puts me on trial with no assumption of innocence!  I didn't know that I had to offer PROOF to offer my opinion to people who might be like me and not as "savvy" as some on these forums.

I was only trying to help people.  If this doesn't apply to you or help you then why waste time on this thread?

I did read your "review". You think, you are certain/uncertain, you are afraid/not afraid, you are sure/not sure ect. That is not proof of anything. If you put a claim, it this case claim is that EAC might not do job properly, you need to provide some evidence. Your thoughts and feelings are not evidence.

And no, you are not on trial, it is just forum rule and policy. You have TOS#8, might read it. And discussion, too.

Keep in mind that this is not noob or some random audiophile forum. Here, you can find a lot of audio software and audio encoder developers and audio experts in other audio related matters (exclude me, I just read this forum for a while). And here we like science and proofs.

Example of proof: Use foobar2000 and its bit-compare plugin to compare same song ripped with EAC and Easy Audio Copy. If  songs are the same then both apps did good job, probably. If you find a difference then you need to investigate which program "made a mistake" and why. You can not just assume one of those did correct job. Error might be on Easy Audio Copy's side, you can not just assume it created correct rip. Use other software to rip that song, like foobar2000, CUETools, dbPoweramp and compare results with EAC and Easy Audio Copy rip.

Reply #15
If the OP registered in order to post an ad for own benefit, then the OP would most likely be André himself ... which I find hard to believe.

(And I don't see anything wrong about cashing in from those who think their time and effort on configurating EAC is worth $30. Just to repeat what I once posted in the news thread.)

Reply #16
And no, you are not on trial, it is just forum rule and policy. You have TOS#8, might read it.

I find a TOS8 reference largely off-topic to the issue of secure ripping, especially in the context of the OP's "Still not sure I was doing everything right and afraid I might be “missing out” on something I came across [...]". Peace of mind that you have not gotten something terribly wrong (e.g. filled up pregaps with silence, used software that encounters actual skips without notifying you ...) is not any "I hear different" statement and is - I believe - generally accepted herein as a justification to apply safe ripping software. True, the OP stated that it sounds great, and should maybe be reminded to stick to "and I can rest assured there is nothing wrong there".

... of course TOS8 moderation is in practice in no way like the formulation (and it is the formulation that is wrong). No-one is shot down for claiming (without ABX logs, without even claiming to have performed a rigorous test) that "there's no way I could tell 44.1/16 from 96/24" even though that is obviously "a statement concerning subjective sound quality". I guess HA regulars all understand that the intention is to target unsubstantiated claims to positive differences, but as a means to educate the general public I think it's a shame that it wasn't better formulated in the first place.

Reply #17
Porkus, I didn't reference TOS#8  directly but I referenced explanation so I could back up my claim about objectivity and need for proof:
Hydrogenaudio is supposed to be an objectively minded community that relies on double-blind testing and relevant methods of comparison in discussion about sound quality. The usual "audiophile" speak of non-audio related terms which are completely subjective and open to redefinition on a whim, are useless for any sort of progression in discussion.

This rule is the very core of Hydrogenaudio, so it is very important that you follow it.

The same reason I posted a link to longer explanation where you can read about claims in Hi-Fi magazines that gear X is better then gear Y with no proof but just an impression of reviewer. And in opening post we only have reviewer's impressions and thoughts without any objective proof.

I am not moderator or administator to call on someone for breaking forum rules. Not my job and I will never do that. I just used that rule to explain general policy of this forum.

Reply #18
It is our culture to request support for claims that are made without substantiation in general, but the rule only applies to audible differences in sound quality.

TOS #14 is what applies here. If the poster doesn't come back to participate on the forums beyond the two discussions, his "contributions" are likely going to end up in the recycle bin.

Reply #19
Did you lurk or consult our wiki before assuming the position of expert review writer?

No, I didn't lurk and honestly, I didn't read the Wiki but if I have actually broken any rules no one has told me so.  I am a long time registered user on several other forums including AVS & Slickdeals but never meant to present myself as any authority and am relatively certain I didn't...

I admitted that I was learning all this stuff and I found the incredible ease and certainty of Easy Audio Copy a complete relief after pulling my hair just to get to making what I thought were Lossless FLAC files.

I am just a fairly normal guy who is learning how to deal with Lossless audio.

Reply #20
This may be related to not speaking native english but where in this thread is a review? I only see some sentences trying to spread excitement like in advertising.

I hope someone will tell me how to mutliquote here as I am not seeing how to do that.

I fully realize that for some of the more technical people here my post read more like an excited advertisement (which in a way it is) I do not have the knowledge or the means to do comprehensive testing of both software' results to say "specifically" this or that.  I would think by my admissions to being new to this and confused by the depth in EAC this would be understood.  This was not meant to be a scientifically verifiable "proof" that Easy Audio Copy does X or Y, simply my subjective experiences and satisfaction.

Reply #21
For me it's more about giving Andre the benefit of the doubt. Rounding up shills and sending them to forums doesn't seem like his style.

I think it's a nice start, but, like Andre's other big project, the software and its website have that "permanently in beta" feel. And having to download and run a separate app to get to the advanced settings is more than a little weird.

THANK YOU!  I am glad to see that somebody gets it.  I am not an audio expert but I do appreciate good sound and since learning of the issues with WMP and iTunes last month I have spent WAY too much time and frustration on trying to get the best sound I can out of my audio (portable in particular)...

I was quite excited to find the vaunted EAC standards and performance in a (I choose to say) goof proof tool!

Reply #22
Are you implying that there are sound quality differences between EasyAC and iTunes or WMP?

If so then you are going to run into a problem with TOS #8.

Reply #23

Well I'd say dbPoweramp is just as idiot proof really which I happily pay for. If the OP had been a regular and then posted this I'd probably have accepted it as genuine but as I pointed out this was posted 10 mins after registering which strikes me as coming here to specifically push a product.

You're free to your opinion but ultimately, I am pushing NOTHING.  People are free to argue with me, mock me, insult me, question my intent, ignore me altogether OR they can, if they so choose, try the free trial of the software.  I am not trying to make anyone do anything.

I cam here because a search for Easy Audio Copy brought up the other discussion about the release of the software...

I saw and agreed with a registered poster here who expressed, shall we say, remorse that the software was largely ignored.

As I am learning and growing this community may be a help to me but I would never register at a site JUST to advertise for someone else.  I have better things to do with my time.

Reply #24
It is our culture to request support for claims that are made without substantiation in general, but the rule only applies to audible differences in sound quality.

TOS #14 is what applies here. If the poster doesn't come back to participate on the forums beyond the two discussions, his "contributions" are likely going to end up in the recycle bin.

FIRST, allow me to apologize to anyone who might've been offended by my entirely subjective and unscientific review of the software in question.
I was unaware of the relatively strict guidelines that many of you follow (even if they're not, strictly speaking, forum rules)...

My "review" was never designed to attract advanced users with ready knowledge of bit perfect ripping etc.

It was, for people more like myself.  Those who are learning, growing and in pursuit of the best sound they can reasonably get.

I also DO appreciate the few people here who tried to give me the benefit of the doubt.  IF my "contributions" are unappreciated and/or end up in the recycle bin I won't be put out of countenance in the least...

Though I do expect that I can learn a great deal here I just hope to find some of you a little more understanding towards a novice.