Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best approach for same album names? (Read 2850 times) previous topic - next topic

Best approach for same album names?

Hi I was thinking to add ' or ` to the end of the album name.. for those albums with the same name.. I wonder what do you guys do for situations like this? to prevent the songs from albums from merging.

Re: Best approach for same album names?

Reply #1
That's exactly what the Album Artist tag is for :-)

Reply #2
it has the same album artist.. same contributed artist.. same year... everything is identical except for the number of songs and cover arts are different.

Reply #3
Call the edition with additional songs simply "Deluxe" or "Extended"

Reply #4
I too have 2 albums with only one song in.... is it a bad idea to name it " albumname` "? with a ` at the end of the album name will I run in to problem in future? because it doesn't seem appropriate to give it additional name like deluxe when it's not.. I could cause confusion next time when I google the album name and album name deluxe doesn't exist and started wondering why it's called deluxe or extended

Reply #5
In cases like this I usually add the record label/catalog number of the album to the title.

Reply #6
it has the same album artist.. same contributed artist.. same year... everything is identical except for the number of songs and cover arts are different.

There must be something that differentiates the albums. Different release years, "deluxe" or "limited edition" branding, maybe it's a remaster.

I would add the relevant information after the albumtitle.

Reply #7
If it's really worth to keep both versions... maybe you could just choose one, and then pick missing tracks from another version and name it like "...My Album Name... (extra tracks from ...That Special Version...)"

If track listings are the same, I'd rather make a decision which variant I like more and keep only it. 
If both are lossless and I can't hear the difference, well, might just pick the smaller file size then.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #8
Hi I was thinking to add ' or ` to the end of the album name
Same idea - I use a zero-width space. Album name looks identical, sorts separately.

I also use additional tags, since I prefer not having extra info added on to the album tag. I put that stuff in their own tags - %edition%, etc - and add some of them to playlist groupings.

Cheers

Reply #9
I made my peace with this issue a long time ago. A simple:

Album Name
Album Name (Deluxe Version)

Don't forget to use the proper album cover for each version.