Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why IB not PHPBB? (Read 21116 times) previous topic - next topic

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #50
RC1 is there!!!

Uhoh... will they ever integrate javascript fix for Gecko-based browsers?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #51
Invision is so much easier to mod.  I mod two phpBB sites and one Invision one and it's so much easier to do the Invision one.  B) 

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #52
could someone with invision running tell me whether it is possible to have posts made in a certain forum make public after a moderater has validated the content?

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #53
could someone with invision running tell me whether it is possible to have posts made in a certain forum make public after a moderater has validated the content?

Yeah, there's this option for each specific forum:
"Preview all posts?
(Requires a moderator to manually add posts to the forum)  Yes/No"
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #54
right.. extacly what i need.. thanks!

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #55
Couldn't we just say that all web boards are ugly, difficult to use, error-prone and always down? A shorter way of saying that would be "they suck like hell anyway". What I want is at least an NNTP gateway...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #56
I've been through a few bulletin boards: Ubb, Vbulletin, phpBB, and Iknonboard; and I've had a chance to fool around (intimately) with Invision.

My priority is the the overall interface and ease-of-use, where the best boards have a number of features presented in an intuitive manner. In this regard, it definately comes down to Invision and phpBB. These two have very similar interfaces.

The main weaknesses of phpBB (and thus strength of Invision) is feeble administrative controls-- and lack of custominzation. You can add new features, but you've gotta spend a lot of time finding and installing mods. ...Or fooling around with the code yourself

I'm now using phpBB with several mods installed, and a lot of custom bullshit: http://www.ogghelp.com/ogg/board

I'm waiting for the day Invision supports a MS SQL backend. I may have to switch boards yet again.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #57
In answer to the initial question posed by the subject: IB looks and feels so much better.

aww c'mon.... it always does...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #58
Invision Power Board 1.2 RC2 has been released.

We're pleased to announced that the long awaited RC2 release is now available in the download area.

Invision Power Board 1.2 RC2 (Pre release) contains some very important skinning changes to reduce the chance of XSS vulnerabilities. The read me file lists the skin files affected in this update and if you are only using the default skin, you only need to update those files.

Important notice for custom skins
If you are using a custom skin on your Invision Power Board and wish to upgrade, then please read this topic for detailed instructions on how to update your skins manually.

Invision Power Board 1.2 RC2 also includes the first version of IPDynamic Lite, our built in 'portal' for your board. Instructions are in the distribution, look in the "ipdynamiclite" folder for more information.

This release also incorporates all previous security updates.

Important notice for all those upgrading

The instructions did not specifically state this, but you MUST upload the folder "/modules" to your web server. Make sure you upload it into the same directory as the index.php file NOT the "sources" directory.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #59
Couldn't we just say that all web boards are ugly, difficult to use, error-prone and always down? A shorter way of saying that would be "they suck like hell anyway". What I want is at least an NNTP gateway...

Heh.  I'd have to disagree with you on just about all counts.  Most decent webforums have a nice enough interface, and surely aren't difficult to use.  If you can't figure out how to use a web interface, I wonder how you manage to configure and use a news reader.  Most decent webforums also much easier to manage and offer quite a bit more functionality than you'd get from something like usenet or a mailing list either.  They are also much more application independent.  I can access and fully utilize HA from just about any computer with an internet connection while the same cannot be said for most mailing lists/newsgroups.

As for downtime, if you're referring to HA, the only reason for this is because of the server move and all of the work that I've been doing behind the scenes to get things up and running, which, at least recently, has sometimes interfered with the forum software.

In general, HA has a good track record for running smoothly.  There are plenty of advantages of a web board over an usenet interface as well.

As for an NNTP gateway, if you "want" this, you're more than willing to spend the time coding one for us to use.  Otherwise, I'd suggest to stop complaining and be happy with what is already provided for free.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #60
IPB 1.3 Final relased...

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #61
Since this thread was bumped, I might add that phpBB works very well on PocketPCs, while IPB can't reflow the text properly, and won't even let me sign in.
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #62
Since this thread was bumped, I might add that phpBB works very well on PocketPCs, while IPB can't reflow the text properly, and won't even let me sign in.

Have you tested if this is still the case with 1.3?
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php

Isn't there for example Opera for PocketPCs which should work pretty well?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #63

This is probably due to your browser not supporting xhtml/CSS very well (which, if the browser is IE, doesn't surprise me in the least).

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #64

This is probably due to your browser not supporting xhtml/CSS very well (which, if the browser is IE, doesn't surprise me in the least).

Don't worry. It works very fine on PocketPC 2003 with the included IE. Very good for boring lectures

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #65
IPB 1.3 Final relased...

would be great, if this forum would be updated
Foobar 0.91, Windows XP SP2

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #66
thanks for updating 

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #67
BTW
Could you please activate Fastreply in admin center, so the user couls also use this new function 

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #68
BTW
Could you please activate Fastreply in admin center, so the user couls also use this new function 

I don't like this feature very much, but from a psychological standpoint. It can cause people to make short fast comments, instead of a longer, thought-out post.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #69
maybe, but it's very practical.

benefits I see:

You can reply without waiting the next page to load.

Read what the previous post says without scrolling up and down.

I've been in some boards that added this feature and haven't noticed an increase in short non-sense posts.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #70
I understand CiTay's point, but I would like to see quickreply too if it's not a problem.

Why IB not PHPBB?

Reply #71
IPB v1.3.1 is released. not really an new version though. just a fully patched 1.3

We've released Invision Power Board 1.3.1 to clear up any confusion with the recent security announcements surrounding Invision Power Board 1.3.

There have been a few minor security updates since the release of IPB 1.3 and we've updated the main download files and released separate patches but as we haven't updated the version number (largely to prevent anyone reading reports on Bugtraq and hunting out vulnerable boards based on version number) there is some confusion within the security community who have been re-reporting possible vulnerabilities long since fixed. This release acts as a 'clean slate'.

If you wish to make sure that you're up to date with your security upgrades, download Invision Power Board 1.3.1 from the link below and upgrade the suggested files:

- admin.php
- index.php
- sources/calendar.php
- sources/Online.php
- sources/Search.php