Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SoundCard Suggestions (Read 2118 times) previous topic - next topic

SoundCard Suggestions

Hello All!

I am getting ready to build a new computer and need some advice on soundcard selection.  My last set up had a SB Audigy, which suffered from constant crackling and popping, and a used set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers. 

After reading reviews on this board and others I've decided to go ahead and grab a set of Grado headphones probably 225/320s.  Regarding the Grado headphones is there a soundcard on the market that can do a good job driving them or is a headphone amp the way to go?

Keeping the Grado considerations in mind, I am looking for a sound card that does the following:
-High Quality Audio Playback w/o 48hz re-sampling (ala SB)
-Offer two out lines: One digital/One Analog
-Be capable of decent gaming audio (This is perhaps the least important quality)
-Do not need any recording, or surround sound
-And preferably be Hardware driven.

Mainly looking for a card excels in audio playback but can handle quake 3(without frame loss) whenever i get the rare urge to play.

If it isnt feasible to drive grado headphones from a soundcard which headphone amp can the board recommend.  I'm not thrilled about buying the RA-1 amp at that price. (Though the mahogany case is super sexy!)

My budget is around 300-400 dollars for the whole soundcard/amp (if needed) set up.

SoundCard Suggestions

Reply #1
Ahhhh.....

Try the search feature before you get blasted into oblivion  B)

Edit: and not by me
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650