Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Collaborative FB2K Documentation Project (Read 42123 times) previous topic - next topic

Collaborative FB2K Documentation Project

Reply #25
Here's a good question:

For the FAQ section (which I'm starting on),  how bothered are people that they get their answers attributed? I can understand wanting longer explanations of things like title formatting to be attributed. But for short(ish) FAQ sections is it that big a deal to get your name up in lights?

I'm certainly not bothered but I don't want to upset anyone.

Reply #26
Ok I've made the FAQ section of the wiki. It now contains a quick cut and paste of the foobar2000 FAQ from the main website and a couple of other troubleshooting FAQs that I have encountered.

As it is pasted (almost) without alteration, some of the entries might need tidying up format-wise to make them clearer to read on the wiki (paragraphs look quite different on the wiki to on the main page). Also adding of references to some of the terms used wouldn't go amiss.

You can find it here. Do add to it please! Please try to stick to the formatting convention I have used (it is pretty obvious in the code).

@Peter/zZzZzZz: I hope you don't mind me copying your FAQs across (I did it to save you the trouble). I thought that if you trust the community to be sensible about this wiki you might eventually link straight to that FAQ page and allow others as well as yourself to contribute to it and maintain it. This should you more time to concentrate on developing..

Reply #27
ok couldn't resist a pun..

hopefully it will be FAQin Wikid

many apologies, I'll get my coat..

Reply #28
Yay for wikis...

This thread is now deprecated. I'll start bringing some of the stuff across to the Wiki sometime soon, everyone else is encouraged to do so as well. Many hands make light work and all.

If only there was less busy-ness at school. Bleh.

Reply #29
Good to have someone else adding to the foobar wiki Canar. I beginning to think I was the only with time to put into it

Perhaps we should start a new thread to publicise the wiki (as long as it is fixed so that people can register again - I'm not sure if they've fixed it?).

Reply #30
(as long as it is fixed so that people can register again - I'm not sure if they've fixed it?).

It is fixed. HA mail server is up again.

Reply #31
What does the name mean?
The name "foobar2000" has no real significance. When Peter (zZzZzZz in this forum) began writing it, he had to give the project a name, and chose it as a temporary name. However, that temporary name has yet to be changed, and so it remains foobar2000. The definition of foobar in this case comes from the Jargon File, a metasyntactic variable used when you need a name for something, but don't know what to name it. The 2000 suffix is typically used to change a normal word into the name of a product, to make it sound new and spiffy. Hence, foobar2000. Its usage has become somewhat deprecated since the turn of the millenium.

I always thought foobar derives from the german word "furchtbar" (terrible).
For example in the Movie "Saving Private Ryan" the GI's are talking about the
word "foobar", because thats what the germans are saying all the time....

Reply #32

Actually, the (US) military has used the term forever.  In the military it's spelled FUBAR and stands for "F*cked Up Beyond All Repair".  That's actually a third-level term, after SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F*cked Up - and TARFU - Things Are Really F*cked Up.

-- Rick
------- Rick -------
--------------------

Reply #33

Actually, the (US) military has used the term forever.  In the military it's spelled FUBAR and stands for "F*cked Up Beyond All Repair".  That's actually a third-level term, after SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F*cked Up - and TARFU - Things Are Really F*cked Up.

-- Rick
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The terms "foo" and "bar" have some history as placeholder names in programming parlance. See also [a href="http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/foobar.html]foobar[/url] in the Jargon File.