Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Randomly sorted playlist to fill MP3 portable player? (Read 3707 times) previous topic - next topic

Randomly sorted playlist to fill MP3 portable player?

Hi everybody, I'm searching this forum but I can't find a way to generate a randomly sorted playlist from my media library (possibly using Foobar 9.5.4, Default User Interface) from which copy mp3 to my portable player.
The best would be to generate a 1GB long playlist but not strictly necessary (Windows just stops copying when the player is full).

I tried using the autoplaylist feature but I can't figure out how to randomly sort it!

Thanks everybody!

Reply #1
First, do you know how to sort non-randomly? (Right click on an autoplaylist and select Autoplaylist properties) Then sort by $rand() and make sure Force-sorted is checked.

You can also sort by $rand() by going to Edit > Sort > Sort by... for any (auto)playlist which has Force-sorted turned off.

Note that the query syntax has a SORT BY keyword, but $rand() does not work there. Also, it's not possible to limit your results by number/filesize/etc, but there might be a component that actually does limit by filesize.

Reply #2
Do you want to have random mp3's in that playlist that are random sorted?

Or do you want to random sort a collection of mp3's that apply to a query like genre IS rock?

In any case you can click Edit > sort > randomize.
To copy them in that order to the mp3-player you should use fileoperations and use the copy to function. Start the filename pattern with %list_index% to make sure the playlist randomness will be on your mp3player too.

Reply #3
Simply great, I knew there must be a solution.
Thanks everybody!

Reply #4
Also a FANTASTIC program to create multiple directories from one big music file, and randomizes them, too!  Great for keeping folders to 4Gig or less for back up purposes...

http://x24.x24garcia.com/prog_MP3Dist.html