Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .mp4, MPEG-4 HE-AAC not being played (Read 7509 times) previous topic - next topic

.mp4, MPEG-4 HE-AAC not being played

Hi,

is or will it be possible to play audiofiles with format:

.mp4, MPEG-4 HE-AAC

It's a DAB+ recording made by NOXON DAB MediaPlayer by Fraunhofer. There is said that for playback

"the AAC Option '960 transformationlength' has to be supported" in the player-software.

(Btw. VLC and AIMP3 did play it out of the box.)

Other aac files in my foobar2000 1.2.3 are being played well. Do I need another aac decoder? Or has the
'core' to be changed by Peter to hopefully forfill my wish?

TIA
jgro

Reply #1
if you can find a command line decoder, it should might work with this...

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_exe

[!--sizeo:1--][span style=\"font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]edited to cover my back. [/size]

Reply #2
Generally speaking, a short sample would always help the developer tremendously with fixing such a bug. You can use the upload forum for that.

Reply #3
You're right of course.

A sample is posted under http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=99738

Error Message:
Unable to open item for playback (ffmpeg: could not open the decoder):
"E:\DAB-Recordings\2013-03-02_16.49.29-LoungeFM.DAB+.mp4"

jgro

Reply #4
if you can find a command line decoder, it should might work with this...

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_exe

[!--sizeo:1--][span style=\"font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]edited to cover my back. [/size]

Even foo_input_exe didn't solve the problem, I tried to use neroAacDec.exe and ffmpeg.exe as well.

Btw., the Codec-Information in VLC also says: AAC-Extension: SBR

So any further help is appreciated.

jgro

Reply #7
Since foobar2000 now uses ffmpeg for aac decoding, it would be best if you post on the ffmpeg mailing list and ask them to fix this. I think that way your chances getting this fixed will rise tremendously. As this is a rare aac setup you're using, I'd say it's not very probable that Peter will fix this himself anytime soon (if at all).

Reply #8
Since foobar2000 now uses ffmpeg for aac decoding, it would be best if you post on the ffmpeg mailing list and ask them to fix this.

Sorry but it seems more to be a foobar problem than an ffmpeg problem.

This file crashes an older version of foobar (1.0.3) I have on an XP PC, version which is not using ffmpeg decoding.
And the file is playing fine with any other ffmpeg based player I've tried (VLC, Mplayer, ffplay, MPC-HC).

Reply #9
You must be mistaken. VLC decodes this with faad. Latest FFmpeg build from zeranoe does not decode it at all, gives error "960/120 MDCT window is not implemented". Latest MPC-HC build tries to play it but only outputs two loud glitches. I don't see how this is not an FFmpeg limitation.

Reply #10
Ticket #1407 (opened@2012-06): "aac: 960/120 MDCT window is not implemented"

FFmpeg Summer of Code 2013: "GSoC task proposal ideas: AAC: AAC 960/120 MDCT window"

(and AFAIK 15-point FFT subroutine is required to decode such files)

Re: .mp4, MPEG-4 HE-AAC not being played

Reply #12
The ffmpeg version used by foobar2000 predates that patch. There hasn't been a need to update before now.

Re: .mp4, MPEG-4 HE-AAC not being played

Reply #13
I was playing around with the sample posted earlier (2013_03_02_16.49.29_LoungeFM.DAB_.MP4) and I have some questions.

fb2k won't play the original MP4 sample, but it will play the raw AAC when it's extracted and it will play an M4A remuxed from the original MP4 sample with ffmpeg.
For the M4A and the raw AAC extracted from the M4A with ffmpeg, it plays the audio at the same speed. For the raw AAC extracted from the MP4, it plays it slightly faster.

When ffmpeg is doing the decoding via foo_input ffmpeg, fb2k will play the original MP4 sample too. Raw AAC extracted from the MP4 sample and the MP4 itself both play at the same slightly faster speed.

I'm mainly wondering why remuxing the MP4 as an M4A with ffmpeg allows fb2k to play the AAC audio it's not supposed to be able to play, but also why the raw AAC plays at different speeds when it's extracted from the MP4 sample and after remuxing the MP4 sample as M4A.

Screenshot 1 is what fb2k displays when it's decoding.
Screenshot 2 is what fb2k displays when ffmpeg is decoding.