Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Who's That Girl (Read 6586 times) previous topic - next topic

Who's That Girl

Greetings!

I recently bought the album "Touch" from Eurythmics and while listening to "Who's That Girl", I noticed a strange noise around 3:50 and was wondering if this is normal or not. The disc doesn't look scratched and C1/C2 tests with both K-Probe and Plextools don't show anything abnormal.

Regards,
Sebastian

Who's That Girl

Reply #1
Nothing to worry about... that's art.
.halverhahn

Who's That Girl

Reply #2
I'll be pleased to compare your version to mine from the Greatest Hits album. Is your album "Touch" an original (no remix/master) ?
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Who's That Girl

Reply #3
I'll be pleased to compare your version to mine from the Greatest Hits album. Is your album "Touch" an original (no remix/master) ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258317"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I guess so.

I will also download an MP3 version and compare it (I guess it's OK since I own the original album).

Who's That Girl

Reply #4

The versions from Greatest Hits and the album Touch are different.
.halverhahn

Who's That Girl

Reply #5

The versions from Greatest Hits and the album Touch are different.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258364"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What exactly do you mean?

Who's That Girl

Reply #6
At the end my greatest hits version available for download. I chose the same part as you did, Sebastian.

Nothing to worry about... that's art

Hahahaha!  You will have to learn a lot more about 80s discopop...
I'm sure this strange noise isn't in the original master from 1983 without ever having heard that album. It doesn't belong to the mastering style of the 80s.

Sounds very weird peciuliar strange     
I tend to call it a "mastering error" but it could also be intentional. Probably it was intentional, but because of computer error (or whatever) it sounds like a mistake. Your version is a remix. It is also much less dynamical than my Greatest Hits version, but a few decibels quieter-very surprising.
Look at the copyright year, Sebastian: Is it 1983 ? Look inside the booklet, maybe somewhere there's a small writing "remixed by" (or whatever) although on the CD case there's no "remastered" label.

Anyway, this strange noise (I don't know how to call it correctly) has nothing to do with art. Someone wanted to 'pep up' this record to new style. Just another weird aspect of modern shitty mastering.
A thousand curses on stupid studio engineers. 

Who's That Girl

Reply #7
At the end my greatest hits version available for download. I chose the same part as you did, Sebastian.

Nothing to worry about... that's art

Hahahaha!  You will have to learn a lot more about 80s discopop...
I'm sure this strange noise isn't in the original master from 1983 without ever having heard that album. It doesn't belong to the mastering style of the 80s.

I own both, the original CD issue of Touch bought 1986 and the GH-Album bougt 1991. The strange noises are also on the first album issue i bought 1986. The GH-Album contains the different  7" Edit of "Who's That Girl".
.halverhahn

Who's That Girl

Reply #8
I own both, the original CD issue of Touch bought 1986 and the GH-Album bougt 1991. The strange noises are also on the first album issue i bought 1986. The GH-Album contains the different 7" Edit of "Who's That Girl".

Uh,uh... Maybe I treated you too hard here, sorry. Then the (intentional ?) error is already in the original...strange.
Is your version from "Touch" identical to Sebastian's ?
Is your version from "Greatest hits" identical to mine ? I think my greatest hits version is the original mix/master from 1991 (if it has been mixed/mastered at all at that time).
If you're not European (or better German) your versions will most likely be different in any case.

Who's That Girl

Reply #10
The copyright year is 1983 and there is no "Remixed by" whatsoever.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258500"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There's no guarantee for good quality. If you buy older recordings to get rid of the clipression problem, you get other problems...It's the very first time that I run into one like that.

Who's That Girl

Reply #11
Is your version from "Greatest hits" identical to mine ? I think my greatest hits version is the original mix/master from 1991 (if it has been mixed/mastered at all at that time).
If you're not European (or better German) your versions will most likely be different in any case.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258494"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes
Yes
I'm from Europe

and please... believe an codger like me 
.halverhahn

Who's That Girl

Reply #12
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258494"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes
Yes
I'm from Europe

and please... believe an codger like me 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258505"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I apologize again for not being careful enough in my second post. google doesn't know "codger"...
Thank you for subtracting the files (or comparing them).

Who's That Girl

Reply #13
I apologize again for not being careful enough in my second post. google doesn't know "codger"...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't worry...
[a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=old+codger]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=old+codger[/url]
.halverhahn

Who's That Girl

Reply #14
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't worry...
[a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=old+codger]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=old+codger[/url]
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258512"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was referring to the language tools of google. Google can't translate "codger" into German.
edit: in one of the links is a definition:
Definition:  [n]  used affectionately to refer to an eccentric but amusing old man