Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [USELESS] From: Is jitter audible and what does it sound like? (Read 2477 times) previous topic - next topic

[USELESS] From: Is jitter audible and what does it sound like?

A square wave spends most of it's time being DC, though. I know it's a little pedantic, but a full scale square wave switches between a flatline +1 and a flatline -1. I'll give you that it's technically alternating, but it's alternating between two different DC voltages.

I do have an education in electronics, I know the difference between AC and DC.

Either way, I hope we can agree that LPs and the LP production process cannot accept nor reproduce square waves, which was my point.

(And yes, I also know that square waves technically cannot be reproduced perfectly by digital means unless you have effectively unlimited sampling rate.)

Reply #1
Sigh.  Unless it is offset there is no DC component to a square wave, so no, you are still very wrong here.

Do we now need to get into Fourier series?

I didn't think we would need to trot out education but a BSEE usually requires 3 years of advanced mathematics, though this is all pretty well covered in an entry-level course in sampling.

Either way, I hope we can agree that LPs and the LP production process cannot accept nor reproduce square waves, which was my point.

Yes, though this doesn't preclude someone from using a square wave as a source to produce vinyl, though I don't think you were suggesting this.

Reply #2
You're being extremely pedantic, and there's no need for rude theatrics such as pretending to sigh.

Can we not agree that a flat line at anything other than 0V is DC? Even if it is momentary?

Reply #3
Seriously, I'm literally sitting in my chair rolling my eyes at your replies. I truly am sighing over this.

Reply #4
No, and at this point I will have to sigh again.

Well, that's fine if you absolutely have to be a rude ass about it.

How about trying to explain where I am apparently wrong about basic electrical signals, instead of this arrogant charade?

Or perhaps you're just being über-pedantic to the point of poinlessness? Yes, I know it's technically not a DC signal, since it changes over time, but my point is that it has a very large proportion of constant voltage (both positive and negativ), even though there is no DC offset.

This actually used to be a really interesting forum for a more facts-based discussion of audio compared to the usual audiophile bullshit joints. But I fear over-pedantry, dick-waving and arrogance has taken over. What happened to the welcoming and enlightened atmosphere of learning? What happened to actually telling and showing people the details, rather than just pretending to sigh and arrogantly dismissing anyone who isn't quite as deep into the math as you are?

Reply #5
Fourier series.  Now, please accept that you are wrong (or don't, I don't really care) and just leave it alone.

You should have let this go earlier.  I'm letting it go now.

Reply #6
Fourier series.  Now, please accept that you are wrong (or don't, I don't really care) and just leave it alone.

You should have let this go earlier.  I'm letting it go now.

No.

Honestly, I am asking for an explanation. Just saying "no, you're wrong" and leaving it at that is the absolute height of arrogance.

This is exactly why the establishment of higher education in a tailspin of decline: Pure unfettered arrogance towards anyone who happens to know a little less than you. What happened to the joy of teaching?

Reply #7
Fuck me.  I will instruct you to google the fourier series of a square wave.  This will be the third time I've alluded to it now.

This is a huge waste of everyone's time over some stupid point that you made in error and now fail to concede with increasing bluster.

I apologize for not being more kind about this, but this portion of the discussion is going to find it's way into the recycle bin if it keeps going.

Reply #8
I guess you must've had a bad day.

You could have given a simple, correct and polite correction the very first time, instead you basically just said "bzzt, wrong" and left it at that. You didn't even give me a few keywords until sufficiently prodded. A lot of information can be looked up, but you have to know the terms, or at least remember then, if it's not something you use on a daily basis. I work with IT these days, it's been years since I worked with electronics, so give the arrogance a break, will you?

You could have written a line or two in your first post and pointed me in the right direction, and we could have avoided this bullshit circus act, where you insist on being an arrogant ass, simply because I seem to have forgotten some things I haven't had to use in over a decade. Don't allude to things in an opaque manner like that. Straight talk is much easier for everyone involved.

E: I will put a link here, which succinctly states what could easily have been said in this discussion, but wasn't until you actually gave a proper (if blunt) hint that jogged my memory: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/square_...plex_waveforms/

Yes, it is probably dumb that I had forgotten about this, but on the other hand, I can tell you a hell of a lot about software development/monitoring and the IT service life cycle.

Reply #9
Thanks for the lesson.  I'm now going to bin all but the first back-and forth between the two of us due to its uselessness to the rest of the community.

Reply #10
I hope you'll at least edit the link into my post #87 as a correction, for fairness.

That was already my intention.