Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows 7 Beta and Foobar2000 (Read 53524 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows 7 Beta and Foobar2000

Reply #25
foobar is running beautifully on windows 7 x64.

Now all that left is customized jump list and put cover art/ vis / playback control in thumbnail like how windows media player did, and then it would be perfect 

I too would love the  usage of Jump Lists for playlists, along with other thigns i've thaught about trying to add to my own applications. You may have noticed that progress bar information is also displayed on the superbar, this could be used to display current track progress. You can also overlay icons ontop of the program icon (seen in WLM to display current status) that could be used to show the current playback status. I don't think there's a managed API yet, but there is alot of information here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd378460(VS.85).aspx

I'm a C# coder myself, and I'm assuming that is aimed at people using C++ only, so i'm at a loss as to how to implement any of it. I've tried the usual p/invoke methods, but I keep getting errors thrown stating that the method was not found... I'm sure someone out there would be able to make a simple plugin that would make best use of these features though, without too much effort. I'd glady help where possible, but as iv'e stated, i'm a C# programmer...

Reply #27
The only issue I've had is a rendering issue with the album/artist lists for Facets. Sometimes when scrolling, items overlap each other. Doing a select all on the list or minimizing and restoring the window will usually fix it. This bug seems to appear after moving/resizing or, especially, docking the window.

Reply #28
I've found soemthing which may just make greater Windows 7 intergration a reality for Foobar. I've spent alot of time looking for this, and i've finally found it here:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=590434472

It's basically a .NET compatable dll which simply needs to be referenced to unlock it's capabilities. I know that Foobar is not written in .NET, but i'm sure the dll can sill be quite simply used to great effect.

I've messed with it in a new C# project and it's a sinch to intergrate and use. I hope that someone in the Foobabar development team will make a small plugin which could add some additional finctionality, even if it's simply changing the colour of the taskbar entry (by setting the progress value to 100%) to represent playback state or similar.

Hope this proves useful to someone...

Reply #29
Ideally, you should wait for it to be officially added, but simply put ITaskbarList3 is a COM interface exposed by Explorer.

Sounds like a COM interface to me, which has nothing to do with .NET. The post in question just seems to explain how to use it from .NET.

Reply #30
Ideally, you should wait for it to be officially added, but simply put ITaskbarList3 is a COM interface exposed by Explorer.

Sounds like a COM interface to me, which has nothing to do with .NET. The post in question just seems to explain how to use it from .NET.

I dunno if you read the entire post, I didn't notice it first time, but there's a download at the bottom of it with a dll in it which you can reference, yes, much like a com interface. It's methods include all of those in the interface depicted in the last post I made...

I have made a very small c# application with a slider and some buttons which allows you to test the taskbar progress thingy, in it's various modes (normal, paused, error, off, indeterminate). If it's remotely useful, either decompile it, or i'll dump the source on my server for you...

http://downloads.brins0.net/Windows7Test.7z

I'm not sure exactly how Foobar is written, not beeing in the language I know, I can't investigate and make some plugins myself. But if I can work out how to use the DLL in a couple of minutes, then i'm sure the dev team here with their vast knowledge of Foobar's internal structure will have no problems making a snap-in for it.

Reply #31
Wondering if anybody else is testing out Windows 7.

Foobar seems to work except for one thing. The right click context menu is often missing in explorer and I am not sure what is causing this.

Has anybody found a solution to that problem?

Yeah I discovered the same thing in Windows 7.  The context menu works okay when I select 15 or less files (e.g. mp3's).  If more than 15 files are selected then the options to Play in foobar etc. don't appear in the context menu as they should.  I'm using foobar v0.9.5.3

Reply #32
Yeah I discovered the same thing in Windows 7.  The context menu works okay when I select 15 or less files (e.g. mp3's).  If more than 15 files are selected then the options to Play in foobar etc. don't appear in the context menu as they should.  I'm using foobar v0.9.5.3

Yeah, UPDATE.
http://www.foobar2000.org/?page=Changelog#section3

Who would have guessed that there would be bugs with a beta OS and a legacy version of a program?  Thanks for bumping this thread.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #33
What did the update fix?  I'm using the latest version of Foobar and I still have the problem.

If I select too many FLAC files (> 15) I still don't get the option to play in Foobar at all, yet I have Foobar set as the default player Win7 as well as the Foobar Preferences set to open FLAC files with Foobar.

Also, If I right click even one MP3 file in Windows Explorer I still do not get the context menu at all.  All off the default settings are the same as FLAC.

Reply #34
Windows Vista and 7 require shell extension when dealing with more than 15 files at once in Explorer. New foobar2000 has shell extension but you won't get it unless you run the installer in standard mode.

Reply #35
Who would have guessed that there would be bugs with a beta OS

The same "problem" exists in Vista, which is not Beta, I believe
I was unable to open 16+ .html files into Firefox all at once, by selecting them all in Explorer and hitting Return.

In case you're wondering why the heck I needed to open more than 16 files at once: I was working on a client's website's HTML/CSS, and needed to do a full checkup on all of them, and this would have been the swiftest way. For many other applications, however, simultaneous opening of a fair number of files is a common use case, so I have no idea why this strange and tiny limit is suddenly imposed.

Feb 20 2009, 01:52

Drat; major bump. Apologies. Will pay more attention.

Reply #36
Windows Vista and 7 require shell extension when dealing with more than 15 files at once in Explorer. New foobar2000 has shell extension but you won't get it unless you run the installer in standard mode.

That was a tad over my head.  Could you explain a bit further? 

Reply #37
There's not much more to explain. Microsoft changed Windows to hide old style context menus when too many files are selected. This issue was fixed in foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 1 as the installer now registers shell extension that handles opening files from Explorer.

If you just copied foobar folder from old installation or installed it in "Portable mode" you do not have working context menus (with Portable mode you would have had to manually associate file types).

To fix file opening in Windows 7 just run the installer. After license page make sure to select "Standard installation" and finish the wizard normally. If files weren't associated properly you will need to go to foobar's Preferences and re-associate everything with 'File Types' -> 'Open "Set Program Associations: foobar2000" control panel'.

Reply #38
There's not much more to explain. Microsoft changed Windows to hide old style context menus when too many files are selected. This issue was fixed in foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 1 as the installer now registers shell extension that handles opening files from Explorer.

If you just copied foobar folder from old installation or installed it in "Portable mode" you do not have working context menus (with Portable mode you would have had to manually associate file types).

To fix file opening in Windows 7 just run the installer. After license page make sure to select "Standard installation" and finish the wizard normally. If files weren't associated properly you will need to go to foobar's Preferences and re-associate everything with 'File Types' -> 'Open "Set Program Associations: foobar2000" control panel'.

Just did a fresh install of foobar (v0.9.6.4) and nothings changed.  The problem still exists.

FLAC lists of over 15 songs have no context menus.

MP3 songs have no enqueue option.

I've verified in Windows that the default player for both is foobar, and I've set the same in foobars preferences > file types.

Reply #39
I see from your screenshots that FLAC association is made by clicking a flac file in Explorer and selecting foobar from "Open With" menu. That is not the correct way. I don't know how mp3 association is made but it definitely doesn't come from shell extension.
This is the screen where you set file handling in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Reply #40
I see from your screenshots that FLAC association is made by clicking a flac file in Explorer and selecting foobar from "Open With" menu. That is not the correct way. I don't know how mp3 association is made but it definitely doesn't come from shell extension.
This is the screen where you set file handling in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

That did it.  Thanks for that.

Though now I've learned that PanelsUI isn't working with 0.9.5.3 or later.  Every skin I use requires PanelsUI.  :/

Reply #41
Drop the skins; nothing of use will be lost.

Reply #42
in the 7068 build does not work WASAPI output

Reply #44
There are any number of "skins" that do not use panels UI.
For the most part, they are have their own dedicated thread. Very easy to find.
There are many samples of skins using CUI in it's own dedicated thread.
There are many samples of skins using DUI in it's own dedicated thread.

If they do not suit you...build your own and contribute to the community or if
you prefer, use another media player.

Please do not contribute to yet another - if it is not cool looking - it sucks thread.

It is boring, been done to death and contributes nothing informational or educational.
Just more drawn out; me too,  +1 postings.

terry

Reply #45
Windows 7 x86 build 7068 and 7077
WASAPI output:
Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device (88890020)

in Windows 7 x86 build 7000/7022/7048/7057 WASAPI worked

Reply #46
foo_dsp_delta doesn't seem to work either... although it's still a beta OS, so I don't think that any actions towards this are reasonable at this moment

Reply #47
foo_dsp_delta doesn't seem to work either... although it's still a beta OS, so I don't think that any actions towards this are reasonable at this moment

If you don't already have it try version 1.0 of foo_dsp_delta on foosion's site. Under "Noise Sharpening".

Reply #48
Windows 7 x86 build 7068 and 7077
WASAPI output:
Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device (88890020)

in Windows 7 x86 build 7000/7022/7048/7057 WASAPI worked

Confirmed with 7068

Reply #49
There are any number of "skins" that do not use panels UI.
For the most part, they are have their own dedicated thread. Very easy to find.
There are many samples of skins using CUI in it's own dedicated thread.
There are many samples of skins using DUI in it's own dedicated thread.

Of course there are skins that don't use PUI, but IMO they're all pish.  Just a preference is all.

If they do not suit you...build your own and contribute to the community or if
you prefer, use another media player.

Design my own?  Get real.  I have neither the know-how nor time to gather the know-how.  If your best advice to users who have questions is to "build your own", you ought to save your breath.

Please do not contribute to yet another - if it is not cool looking - it sucks thread.

It is boring, been done to death and contributes nothing informational or educational.
Just more drawn out; me too,  +1 postings.

terry

FFS, what are you going on about?   

--------

Alternatively, I have found a solution.  When highlighting more than 15 tracks, you can either drag them onto the player or hit the 'Open' button near the top of the window.