Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8/nonsense/necromancy/cross-posting] From: best MP3 decoder... (Read 1489 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8/nonsense/necromancy/cross-posting] From: best MP3 decoder...

Skymmer - you are absolutely right in your statement:

"In my opinion MPADec is the choice. It supports freeformat and Lame tag providing also extremly high quality"

Even after so many years, it produces the best sounding MP3's - even compared to Apollo, it provides an even huger soundstage, with clearer lyrics and tighter bass.

The old versions of Mpadec (i.e the ones written by Gabest) are the best mp3 decoders even today in terms of sound quality. The new versions released in MPC-HC have gone down in quality.

I just discovered their awesome quality by accident a few weeks ago - and like you said, it is way better than the better known Mp3 decoders that I have been using until this great find.

I have found mpasplitter.ax v 1.0.0.2 to be the best in terms of splitter.

As for the mpa decoder, I have found the one in Media Player Classic 6.4.8.6 - i.e the last build of mpa decoder v 1.0.0.0 to be the best sounding - huge soundstage, clear lyrics and tight bass.

The second best is the last Gabest version - i.e. mpadecfilter.ax v 1.0.0.4. While it is good, the sound is boomier, but the bass is less tight and the lyrics are louder but more shrill compared to the perfect decoder of MPC 6.4.8.6 (latest version of MPC with that decoder - ver 6.4.8.7 switched to mpadecfilter.ax v 1.0.0.1 and the sound quality degraded)

Right now I am stuck with using MPC 6.4.8.6 (very obsolete and buggy player) and using mpasplitter.ax v 1.0.0.2 loaded externally combined with the internal decoder - simply because the sound quality is out of this world.

I have not been able to find the stand-alone filter mpadecfilter.ax v 1.0.0.0 in order to use the decoder in more modern and sleek directshow players like Imesh (excellent interface, features and organization of my whole mp3 library and uses mpadecfilter.ax - albeit a later MPC-HC build) - currently I have overwritten it with mpadecfilter.ax ver 1.0.0.4 since I cannot find ver 1.0.0.0 and also deleted the Amplifier file - "ammp3.dll" in the Imesh 11 installation directory as it adds coloration to the sound.

The sourceforge URL of MPC has the later builds but is missing the oldest but best one.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli.../MPA%20Decoder/ - it has MPA Decoder 1.0.0.1, 1.0.0.2, 1.0.0.3 but it is missing the stand alone filter MPA Decoder 1.0.0.0.

Does anyone happen to have stand-alone filter mpadecfilter.ax v 1.0.0.0 by any chance. That would be a real ife saver indeed.

Or can someone who is good with programming build an mpadecfilter.ax from the .exe file of MPC 6.4.8.6?

[TOS #8/nonsense/necromancy/cross-posting] From: best MP3 decoder...

Reply #1
Aside from being a textbook example of a bad an abysmal first post and demonstrating that you don’t pay the slightest bit of attention to websites before you start hitting your keyboard in their general direction, this really shows why blind listening tests are important and the lengths to which people will go to satisfy emotional cravings based upon the placebo effect.

If you would like to test your perceptions by a valid method, feel free to begin a new thread to ask for help. I already know what you will discover, but you ought to find it very educational. Otherwise, we are not interested in your completely unsubstantiated statements, which fly in the face of established theory and experience, or your convoluted ways of deluding your own mind that there’s any difference to be heard.