Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple libraries? (Read 23396 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple libraries?

Is it possible to have multiple libraries with foobar2000? Even if it's a hack to install another instance of it and run it concurrently, I'm interested. Thanks for any pointers.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #1
Is it possible to have multiple libraries with foobar2000? Even if it's a hack to install another instance of it and run it concurrently, I'm interested. Thanks for any pointers.

Fun Fact # 1: You can copy paste your foobar folder from program files to anywhere else (say desktop) and have a working copy of foobar.

Use this fun fact to have multiple libraries; use one copy of foobar per library.

PS:  i don't really see the point in multiple libraries

Multiple libraries?

Reply #2
I just tried that, but deleting my library in the Desktop copy deleted it in the Program Files copy as well.

I realized while looking around for a sample manager (for music) that Foobar would do everything I want and I love the Facet view. But I don't want all my drumloop CDs in with the rest of my music library.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #3
What version of foobar2000 are you using?

You may have to change the "Location of configuration files" (found in preferences/general ..in the new betas anyway) from "User profile folder" to "Application install folder" before making a copy of the program folder...  just a thought.

Be careful though, and read the warning in preferences under this option...

Multiple libraries?

Reply #4
Ah ha, thanks, that was it, I'm using the latest beta 6. Awesome, I'll give this a try!

What version of foobar2000 are you using?

You may have to change the "Location of configuration files" (found in preferences/general ..in the new betas anyway) from "User profile folder" to "Application install folder" before making a copy of the program folder...  just a thought.

Be careful though, and read the warning in preferences under this option...

Multiple libraries?

Reply #5
I would love to have something like this.

MusikCube has a solution that I really like, with one library for permanent files, and one named "collected" where you can store music you don't know if you will keep.

If you could create more libraries you could get the benefit of being able to search all your files, but don't have statistics being sent to last.fm for all of them for example.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #6
I would like something similar to this, although what I really want is to have my library split into different sections, eg full albums and incomplete ones/random tracks, I know I could make playlists with them, but I'd want to be able to view them with a filter. So what I really what is a playlist filter instead of a library filter. Having multiple libraries would probably work just as well, although I wouldn't want to be running two instances of foobar if that's what is suggested in this thread.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #7
You can always tag them and use the tag to distinguish between them...

e.g. make a tag called "incomplete album" and use it on all your incomplete albums. Then you can use query in facets/database search/ create albumlist views based on it. you get the same benefit.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #8
Ah ha, thanks, that was it, I'm using the latest beta 6. Awesome, I'll give this a try!

Any luck with this?

Sounds interesting, in that I am a musician myself and have tons of stuff either untagged or semi-tagged that would be great to have a separate library for...

Multiple libraries?

Reply #9
Sounds interesting, in that I am a musician myself and have tons of stuff either untagged or semi-tagged that would be great to have a separate library for...

Well, the option/copying trick worked fine, I have separate libraries now. The one part that doesn't work is that most of my collection are .WAV files and I guess they don't support Genre tagging. I had hoped to tag all my audio samples -- like say a drumloop with "jazz, uptempo, 135bpm, realdrumkit", etc. But I get this error when I try to do that:

Could not update tags (Unsupported format or corrupted file)

So I assume that's a limitation of the WAV file metadata. I had hoped maybe foobar kept its own database. Anyone know a way around this?

Multiple libraries?

Reply #10
So I assume that's a limitation of the WAV file metadata. I had hoped maybe foobar kept its own database. Anyone know a way around this?

/You can use foo_custominfo it can be used to "tag" files without writing to the files themselves (database)

Multiple libraries?

Reply #11
Thanks for the tip, nightfishing. I can't seem to get foo_custominfo to do multiple genres easily though. With regular tagging I can put in "drums, live, jazz, aggressive" in the genre and navigate that via the facet view.

I just tried MusikCube and it has a sort of facet-ish view but doesn't seem to handle multiple genres.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #12
PS:  i don't really see the point in multiple libraries

I have all my CDs and vinyl ripped to MP3 in one place and Foobar manages these, ( I listen to these on day to day basis) but when I want to rip a CD I want to use my own vinyl I have ripped to FLAC which I would like to be able to monitor as well so if it is Vinyl (FLAC) and if CD (MP3) without there being multiple instances displayed.
Hope that makes sense.
mr E

Multiple libraries?

Reply #13
thanks for the tricks ! 

Now I have two foobar dirs, one for classic music library and one for contemporary music library... ( i don't wish to mix Madonna with Mozart when I play random all the library    )

Well, for the next step I would like to select multiple libraries from a single foobar copy 

Multiple libraries?

Reply #14
thanks for the tricks ! 

Now I have two foobar dirs, one for classic music library and one for contemporary music library... ( i don't wish to mix Madonna with Mozart when I play random all the library    )

Well, for the next step I would like to select multiple libraries from a single foobar copy 

Isnt this what playlists are for? Do a '%genre% HAS "classical"' search, and make a playlist from the results, and play that on random.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #15
Isnt this what playlists are for? Do a '%genre% HAS "classical"' search, and make a playlist from the results, and play that on random.

Library is better, because you have no tag to set, no playlist to update. Just put audio files in a folder and do rescan library.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #16
One thing you can do is set up an AutoPlaylist with the criteria %path% HAS Classical (or whatever you've named your classical music folder). Then anything you drop in that folder (once you've scanned it into the overall library) gets dropped into that playlist automatically.

And if you want another autoplaylist with everything else, do another one with NOT %path% HAS Classical.

Multiple libraries?

Reply #17
This post has been quiet for some time now...

Is there a way to have Foobar200 manage multiple libraries from one instance of the application?

I have my personal library of my music that I manage.  I would then like to have another library of music that is on my friend's PC that I have access to.  I have a playlist to his files, but when he adds or remotes files, my playlist is not automatically updated.  This is where the library would come in as it is automatically updated when things change.

Once I have both libraries, I would like to easily switch between the libraries so if I want to listen to my music, I switch to my library, and if I want to listen to the music on my friend's PC, I switch to that library.  MusicBee has functionally to do this, but I really want to use Foobar2000 

So far I have not found a way to do this.  Any ideas?   

Thanks,

Multiple libraries?

Reply #18
+1
Music library + Podcast/Speech library

Multiple libraries?

Reply #19
nothing that can not by work around by title formatting, eh?