Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Waveform Minibar (mod) (Read 107081 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Waveform Minibar (mod)

Reply #200
Hi,

I dunno if this is the right place to report bugs but I have a problem with the component.
Playback stops while the component scans the file to create the waveform. This is quite annoying as it adds a gap of silence at the beginning of every track, which is particularly disruptive with gapless playback.
I have the latest FB and Minibar version and disabling it solves the issue.

Reply #201
Is your machine perhaps very old? Like single-core old. The component doesn't stop playback - it simply opens a background thread to do the scanning. If there's not enough processing power left playback might be hindered.

Or do you use some source format that can only be accessed by a single reader at a time? I think for example Spotify input would be like that. If the source doesn't allow simultaneous decoding by two threads you'll have to scan the tracks in advance and store the waveforms in the database.

Reply #202
Hi @Case ,

None of that. I have a quad-core i5 machine and I am decoding either mp3 or m4a files. Happens with both. CPU load is never beyond 5%.
I switched to @Zao's original version of the component and no problem there.

Reply #203
Maybe a combination of slow HDD and small playback buffer size?

Reply #204
I tested the Normalize, and not sure if its not working as you mentioned, http://prntscr.com/risk62
There is still 50% black space that is not utilized.
I suspect your track is highly dynamic. The scaling decision is made from the full waveform data before it's scaled down - your window is so narrow that scaling eats away all the spikes that should hit the borders. I can change this to work after scaling but then changing the window size will make the waveform change size strangely.
I just released a new version where the waveform scale normalization is performed after the image is scaled to target resolution. It doesn't seem to cause the jumpy resizing I feared.

Reply #206
Hello! From the description: "Lighter, fully software implemented..." What is lighter with a database of nearly 1GB? Is this only on my PC so large? The minibar.db database in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000 have ca. 740MB - that's how it is on my hd. Is this normal?
Thank you.

Reply #207
@Case
Maybe an option to add to clear/remove cached minibar database if needed.
Or is it safe to just delete minibar.db file?
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #208
@Case
Maybe an option to add to clear/remove cached minibar database if needed.
Or is it safe to just delete minibar.db file?
it is safe to delete it, I do it every months, when it grows over 1GB.
removing automaticially old (user can chose between 1 month or 1 year old) data, would be nice though.

Reply #209
it is safe to delete it, I do it every months, when it grows over 1GB.

Ok, thanks.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #210
If you don't want waveform minibar (mod) to take up space on your harddrive, can't you just select waveform minibar (mod) not to store anything in the database?

Reply #211
If you stop storing scans you might also want to delete the existing minibar.db file in your profile folder.  Scanning really doesn't take that long, usually under a half second.  A fifteen minute song only took 1.5 seconds.  Of course this will depend on your hardware.

Reply #212
Save the tool every waveform of any song that I play? So that the waveform is instantly available when I start a audio track?
With not yet played tracks and/or without database must scan it the audio (CPU-laden) what takes some seconds?
Thanks.

Reply #213
Hello! From the description: "Lighter, fully software implemented..." What is lighter [...]
It's lighter as it actually requires less processing power to operate than the original waveform seekbar component. And it doesn't require 3D accelerator and works perfectly over remote desktop connection. Also originally it was much lighter in options as it had none.

Save the tool every waveform of any song that I play? So that the waveform is instantly available when I start a audio track?
With not yet played tracks and/or without database must scan it the audio (CPU-laden) what takes some seconds?
It uses the match pattern query to try to group multiple copies of the same track behind single stored waveform scan result. It works that way for example if you have both lossless and properly encoded lossy collection of the same tracks - they will share the same scan result.
But if your files are all unique then the match method doesn't help you save space.

Default operation mode is to store the scan results for tracks you have in media library. But the preferences page allows you to choose to store also tracks outside media library, or if you wish, not store anything.
If you choose not to store the waveforms the component will have to rescan the same tracks every time you play them and it does use CPU power and delays the waveform display. The delay depends on how fast the track can be read from the media, how complex it is to decode and how fast your CPU is.

Personally I prefer having instant waveform display over worrying about a gigabyte or so of space being used. I would worry about such tiny usage only if my SSD was getting full and I had already removed everything else.

Reply #214
Thank you for the info, Case! I think I let the plugin store the database on the hd. It's better than constantly CPU-load and consequential power consumption.

Reply #215
As I see, Waveform Minibar (mod) is not compatible with UPnP Controller (foo_upnp component).
Or I am missing something?

Reply #216
What makes you think that? I just installed foo_upnp and played some tracks from a BubbleUPnP served library and the component rendered waveforms without any issues.

Reply #217
Thanks for answering
I am referring to "UPnP Controller”, not the “UPnP Browser” component of foo_upnp . My setup is:
Play with “UPnP Controller” panel, tracks included in the dedicated playlist named “Upon Controller Playback Queue”, casting to my network UPnP amplifier. Once the playback starts, nothing happens in the Waveform Minibar panel.

Reply #218
Hey!
Thanks for maintaining this - I've just migrated from the old foo_wave_seekbar component to this today, but I have a question - did the ability to show stereo tracks as a separate waveform per channel get removed from this updated version? Is there any way I can do this with this plugin?

Reply #219
Is it possible for the displayed waveform preference to follow the behaviour of the selection viewers (i.e. Album Art Viewer and Selection Properties), specifically the "Prefer current selection" option?

"Track to prefer when showing waveform:" = "Selected track" is probably closest but doesn't fallback to the currently playing track (when focus isn't on a track) so doesn't match up with the other selection viewers.

Reply #220
did the ability to show stereo tracks as a separate waveform per channel get removed from this updated version? Is there any way I can do this with this plugin?
This component is purely mono. There is no way to configure that.

Is it possible for the displayed waveform preference to follow the behaviour of the selection viewers (i.e. Album Art Viewer and Selection Properties), specifically the "Prefer current selection" option?

"Track to prefer when showing waveform:" = "Selected track" is probably closest but doesn't fallback to the currently playing track (when focus isn't on a track) so doesn't match up with the other selection viewers.
I find that behavior buggy as the selection doesn't disappear when the player loses focus. But I would have added an option to mimic it if I could get it working. I don't seem to be able to get Windows messages about player losing focus to do that efficiently. If I learn how to get the required messages I'll add an option for this.

Reply #221
Hi all.

Oh. I installed it, it appears in File - Preferences - Components, and?.. I mean, how to make it shown?
the latest version of FooBar. I tried everything - component is installed Ok but no nothing reference to it.

Thanks.

Reply #223
did the ability to show stereo tracks as a separate waveform per channel get removed from this updated version? Is there any way I can do this with this plugin?
This component is purely mono. There is no way to configure that.

Thanks for confirming this. I was going nuts, going back to waveform_seekbar. I'm not sure who plays mono music nowadays, but it's not useful for me not to be able to see both channels

Reply #224
I am having some issues with a multi-chapter mkv file. It seems that if I play anything except the first subsong, the scanning fails. The console just states that scanning has started, but the waveform is never updated with any peak information. Also, once I have selected or played such a subsong, foobar will hang on exit, so I guess the broken scan thread is still stuck. If I select the first subsong, the waveform is generated OK though.

edit: I have a different multi-subsong mkv file which doesn't cause this issue. When I select a non-1 subsong of the OK file, the waveform is not drawn but a single horizontal line is drawn across the wavebar (as if it's decided scanning failed or the song is silent), however on the problematic mkv, the wavebar remains completely black