Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low cost vorbis player 2017? (Read 10162 times) previous topic - next topic

Low cost vorbis player 2017?

I am looking for a portable music player, suitable for use with 32 ohm headphones, which fully supports playing vorbis files on a micro SD card. Many devices are advertised as having vorbis support, but from experience this "support" is often lacking with broken tags, stuttering etc. Any recommendations based on personal experience would be appreciated.

Re: Low cost vorbis player 2017?

Reply #1
Sandisk Sansa Clip +

+ MicroSD support
+ Rockbox firmware support
+ Great sound by default and lots of various tweaking if you want
+ It doesn't have issues with tags, whatsoever
+ Cheap
+ Legendary

Reply #2
The Clip+ would fit the bill very well. The only downside is they're discontinued some time ago, so it's unlikely you'll find a new (NOS) one. If you go that route and can find one, I thoroughly recommend to put Rockbox on it, it's vastly better than the original firmware. Rockbox is easy to install, more customisable than you're ever likely to need and the latest version (3.14) extends the battery life considerably.

Reply #3
Perhaps FiiO X1II or Cayin N3 would work for.  The N3 cost $50 more, but well worth it for all it can do.  Both support Ogg and I haven't read any issues regarding these DAPS and Ogg.  I own both, but only use flac, mp3, and AAC formats with therm.

Reply #4
I investigated the Clip+ and the Clip Zip. These players command high prices on eBay where I am, so I have decided to use an old Android phone I had lying around. Just remove the sim card, install a decent music player and disable Beats by Dre. In this way it seems I can play most formats without issue.

Reply #5
I investigated the Clip+ and the Clip Zip. These players command high prices on eBay where I am, so I have decided to use an old Android phone I had lying around. Just remove the sim card, install a decent music player and disable Beats by Dre. In this way it seems I can play most formats without issue.

IMO this is the best choice and the way to go these days. I've been doing it for a while without problems.

Reply #6
I'd suggest the Benjie S5. It's well reviewed on head-fi and  It's a pretty basic player, but it'll do everything you listed. I have the Benjie T6 and it's been a great player.

Anyways you can find the S5 on GearBest or Aliexpress for less than $25. It says it only supports 32GB TF cards, but people have been able to use 128GB sd cards in the slot.

Hope this helps!