Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (flawed) AAC listening test on digg (Read 5453 times) previous topic - next topic

(flawed) AAC listening test on digg

There is an article currently on digg where someone has conducted a test of AAC vs the Original. Actually I'm not even sure about that, it's unclear whether it's 128kbps AAC vs the original or 128k vs 256. Predictably the output is pretty much statistically invalid 50/50 either side over 4 songs..

http://digg.com/apple/Can_you_tell_128kbps...l_Take_the_test

I cringe when i read the comments...

Reply #1
Sanitarium 3 hours ago
[below viewing threshold, hide comment] - 11 diggs 
Did they download the 256kbps AAC file, and then compress it to 128kbps? Or did they have the lossless file and encode both from the same file?

Lossy -> Lossy encoding should be a crime.

Take a look at the score.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #2
Ignorance is bliss.

Reply #3

Sanitarium 3 hours ago
[below viewing threshold, hide comment] - 11 diggs 
Did they download the 256kbps AAC file, and then compress it to 128kbps? Or did they have the lossless file and encode both from the same file?

Lossy -> Lossy encoding should be a crime.

Take a look at the score.

Yes, no wonder he was dugg down. Whatever else the OP did he could not have "download[ed] the 256kbps AAC file" since those files are not on sale yet. Moreover, the OP had already said:

... but I wondered how many people could even tell 128kbps encodes from the originals

And, when you visit his link, you find by "the orginals" he means "the music when encoded to a lossless format".

Reply #4
Reason #24159155 to avoid Digg at all costs. Seriously, guys, every time I've gone there I've felt dirty. And I still read Slashdot!