Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which title is correct: [1993 Remaster] or [1993 Remastered]? (Read 2983 times) previous topic - next topic

Which title is correct: [1993 Remaster] or [1993 Remastered]?

Hello, this may sound silly but since I'm not a native English speaker I'm wondering which one these titles is correct:

1973 - Aerosmith [1993 Remaster] or,
1973 - Aerosmith [1993 Remastered] or,

I think the first one is the correct one but I need your opinion.
If I want to use the second one then it should be probably [Remastered in 1993]. Am I right?

I need to do this captioning for a lot of albums so I don't want to do it wrong even if it's just a stylistic thing.

Re: Which title is correct: [1993 Remaster] or [1993 Remastered]?

Reply #1
I would just skip the Remaster/Remastered part and keep the year only. It should already be clear that you're referring to that year's release.
(But if you're choosing between those, then "1993 Remaster" sounds better to me.)

Reply #2
1973 - Aerosmith [1993 Remaster]

That's how it's done.
 8)
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #3
The album title is "Aerosmith"; the rest is a description you add, and then you decide.

I use year and then "remaster" without the "ed", to keep it shorter. But then I also use versioning like "1995 remaster 2003 Jap. reissue bonus" if they took the 1995 mastering and packed it for a 2003 re-release with bonus tracks.

I also have "rerecording". Sometimes that happens. Artists and Sharons that don't want to pay each other so parts of the tracks are recorded anew.

Reply #4
There is no right or wrong but my preference would be:
Most media players support a tag [Release Date]
If you have the original: [ALBUM]=Aerosmith  [Release Date]=1973
If you have the remaster: [ALBUM]=Aerosmith (1993 Remaster)  [Release Date]=1973
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #5
I only use the first release date, no matter when it has been remastered.
And for classical music to me the date of completion is more interesting than the recording date - so my collection contains dates when not even a phonograph was available ;)

Reply #6
The album title is "Aerosmith"; the rest is a description you add, and then you decide.

I use year and then "remaster" without the "ed", to keep it shorter. But then I also use versioning like "1995 remaster 2003 Jap. reissue bonus" if they took the 1995 mastering and packed it for a 2003 re-release with bonus tracks.

I also have "rerecording". Sometimes that happens. Artists and Sharons that don't want to pay each other so parts of the tracks are recorded anew.

Thank you. I noticed that most people put the information between  parentheses. Is anything wrong in using square brackets instead?

Reply #7
There are releases with parentheses in the album title. Square brackets are better in that you find fewer with those characters in the album title - and even fewer {curly braces}, which is what I would use.

Reply #8
Thank you. Do you mean { } like in the pictures below?
I'm using the lollypop music player in linux. That's how it displays.

XX

Reply #9
Yes. But if you do not need to have it available on your keyboard, you need not be afraid «» either.

You will likely avoid confusion caused by things like
* https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/b48f4dd2-e543-3a83-ad0e-50edd41badc3 or https://www.discogs.com/artist/1236210-o3
* https://musicbrainz.org/artist/9b315250-d1b7-4166-bfc2-610dc9814d57 or https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/0f07c51b-e3e4-33cf-a466-f69c03e9735b or https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/f1aa4d24-71e0-4c79-bcc3-93fdee7076a6
* "secondary" titles like: Scandinavian Nights (Live in Stockholm 1970) and blah blah blah (Music from the Original Motion Picture). Some also with square brackets.
* someone put in an English title or a Latin script title. And again, square brackets may occur.

Reply #10
I'll stick to the curly braces. I like them.
I noticed that some articles online advise against using { } in directory names but I think that was more true back in the days rather than nowadays with modern filesystems. Am I right?

https://docs.jetbackup.com/manual/whm/Troubleshooting/filenameLimitation.html
https://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/websites/writing/characters-avoid/

Some of these websites even recommend not using spaces in file names which is also a bit of an exaggeration I think because those spaces can be escaped when needed in a terminal.

Reply #11
My preference would be: 1973 - Aerosmith {1993 Remaster}
But only if I had multiple versions of the album. Otherwise omit the stuff in curly brackets entirely to keep the file name short. Add all the details in tags under ReleaseDate/Label/CatalogNumber. Tags can hold much more information in a structured way.

Punctuation symbols are used as markup in various software. For example: @filelist, concatenate file1+file2+file3, %variable%. With purely music files you can be less strict, because they don't usually need to be referenced from a command-line or ini files. I'd keep non-latin symbols out of filenames, for compatibility with old software, and don't introduce one as a separator. A fancy Unicode colon often looks worse than a plain dash (different font, weight, maybe a box).

Reply #12
I would just skip the Remaster/Remastered part and keep the year only. It should already be clear that you're referring to that year's release.

There are examples of albums released within the same year with a different mastering or mix, so only mentioning the release year is not always sufficient. Even the catalog number is sometimes not enough to determine which version you have. Truth to be told: these are rare examples, but they exist.

Reply #13
I noticed that some articles online advise against using { } in directory names
[...]
Some of these websites even recommend not using spaces in file names

The second of your links mentions how spaces need percent encoding for web links. That's not an "old file system" problem, it is a "new use" problem. If you want to use your directory paths in URLs, then mind https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt section 2.4.3.  If not, then you have one thing less to worry about.

Of course if you have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Face in your collection, you need to think twice.

Also for collation, you might want to have a "sort by this" tag that - for purposes of naming - takes precedence over artist or album artist. Say, in case you want
* ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead and ... and Oceans to appear under A
* :wumpscut: under w
* Motörhead collated as Motorhead (the ö is not literally an umlaut, it is decorative)
* $ilverdollar under S
* ۞ under R
* Bands that release under a different name. Like, Green Day has 2000 Warning, 2003 Money Money 2020 as The Network, 2004 American Idiot.

Reply #14

There are examples of albums released within the same year with a different mastering or mix, so only mentioning the release year is not always sufficient.
Right, but adding Remaster doesn't solve the problem in that case, you still need to add more info to distinguish between them.
My point is that the "Remaster" part is already implied, so in OPs case you can just do 1973 - Aerosmith {1993}.
I like to keep the album/folder names clutter-free and store all the detailed info in the Comment tag. I only add more text along the album name if I think it's relevant. For instance, if it's a vinyl remaster I'd write 1973 - Aerosmith {2004 vinyl}.
Of course, exceptions can happen, but I deal with those individually. If I were cataloging/archiving music for an institution, I'd probably take a different approach.

Reply #15
Right, but adding Remaster doesn't solve the problem in that case, you still need to add more info to distinguish between them.
My point is that the "Remaster" part is already implied
?

1987 Album {1987 original release}
1987 Album {1989 reissue bonus}
1987 Album {1994 remaster dynamic range = 2}
1987 Album {2007 remaster bonus '20th Anniversary'}
1987 Album {2007 remaster 2017 reissue 2CD '30th Anniversary'}

Three masterings, and it isn't implied if you delete everything after (re)issue year.

I like to keep the album/folder names clutter-free and store all the detailed info in the Comment tag.
Vorbis comments and APE tags are so free format that you can use a custom field.

Reply #16
Fair enough, newer releases aren't all just remasters. Even original releases aren't all the same, because you might have different regional pressings, different digital formats, media... you can add a whole bunch of info there.
I just think the release year conveys enough information in most cases and you can store and see the detailed info elsewhere. But it's a personal preference and it also depends on your own music collection, I won't insist on this.

Reply #17
My preference would be: 1973 - Aerosmith {1993 Remaster}
But only if I had multiple versions of the album. Otherwise omit the stuff in curly brackets entirely to keep the file name short. Add all the details in tags under ReleaseDate/Label/CatalogNumber. Tags can hold much more information in a structured way.

That makes totally sense. Thank you. I only have the separate info added for remasters , MFSLs, or DCC Gold CDs. Otherwise, I keep the album names as-is and fill the metadata tags instead such as CATALOGNUMBER, LABEL, etc..