Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playing 96kHz 24 bit 6 Channel FLAC files through my AVR (Read 1384 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing 96kHz 24 bit 6 Channel FLAC files through my AVR

Some months ago I bought a music download 96/24 6Ch FLAC so I could listen in surround sound. This plays fine through my AVR and 5.0 speaker setup. The music player is a raspberry pi 4 running LibreELEC (which is a version of KODI media centre) with a connected hifiberry digi+ card which is in turn connected to my AVR via S/PDIF coaxial cable. (My AVR does not have HDMI connections)

Now I was expecting the AVR to display "PCM" (as it does for stereo FLAC), but it shows on the AVR display panel as Dolby Digital. I associate Dolby Digital as a lossy format. So can anyone explain what is happening to the hi-res source FLAC as the signal passes from the music player through to the AVR?

For Info' - I had to set some settings in my music player to allow signal "passthrough". I had to confirm that my AVR could decode AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS signals.  The settings menu also recommended that I allow the signal to be transcoded if the connection was via S/PDIF

Re: Playing 96kHz 24 bit 6 Channel FLAC files through my AVR

Reply #1
To the best of my knowledge, SPDIF is limited to 2 channel PCM.
Hence I expect the media player to mix down to DTS
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
As Roseval mentioned, it is not possible to send more than 2 channels over S/PDIF. As far as I know the only digital interface that can transmit multichannel audio as PCM (not counting professional standards such as ADAT Lightpipe, as we are presumably talking about a home theatre environment) is HDMI, so it seems you're out of luck.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies. I only have a small number of multi-channel music files, so I am not too concerned that I am not getting the full quality of the audio, with my current set up.  As my AVR is 17 years old, I will probably update it at some point it for a HDMI enabled one.