Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bluetooth LC3 (Read 4217 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bluetooth LC3

Reply #1
For 160-350k a lower complexity codec probably made sense. 

Reply #2
I think the same that Garf about it, basically they want to sell a license for it.
I wonder why they didn't just use Opus instead of creating a new codec?

If you look at the specification, it's basically Opus with a few marginal gadgets thrown in. I'm going to make a not-very-wild guess that you'll need a license for the gadgets, from the people who wrote the standard.

Reply #3
The Bluetooth SIG could have used Opus to address most of the needs, no?
Not the need to make money by licensing proprietary tech to device manufacturers.

Reply #4
Will this codec at least introduce good quality bidirectional audio into the official Bluetooth LE stack? (eg. gaming headsets with simultaneous input/output audio paths)
There's a hackish solution called FastStream for classic Bluetooth, but the bitrate budget is very low for the used SBC codec (212kbps down / 72kbps up), so it's probably acceptable for game audio but nothing else.

Reply #5
Demo of the LC3 in comparison to SBC: https://www.bluetooth.com/tools/audio-codec-demo/

• PCM 1526 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • SBC 248 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • SBC 192 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 248 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 192 kbps: 48 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 128 kbps: 32 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 96 kbps: 24 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples
  • LC3 64 kbps: 16 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit samples

Curious, why sample rate is so low for LC3 128 kbps and lower. Is it a technical limitation of the LC3? I thought it must be similar to Opus. Opus sounds much better than LC3 at 64-128kbps, according to these examples. Huge improvement over SBC though.

Reply #6
It Isn't sounding that great, but it definitely is an upgrade from SBC. Maybe the are using the smallest frame sizes possible to get a very low latency?

Reply #7
Maybe I'm deaf, but I've never heard any major obvious issues with SBC bluetooth other than dropouts due to signal.

Reply #8
Maybe I'm deaf, but I've never heard any major obvious issues with SBC bluetooth other than dropouts due to signal.
I've only had issues with older Android phones a long time ago when very low bitrates were negotiated between devices. I couldn't prove this, but it just didn't sound right. I use SBC from my phone to my car's audio system and I don't hear any issues.