Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS vs MLP audible? (Read 9026 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS vs MLP audible?

Is there any thought as to whether one should be able to tell the difference between MLP and DTS on a DVD-Audio disc? I don't think i've ever seen the two compared.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Re: DTS vs MLP audible?

Reply #1
DVD-Audio can't use DTS as far as I know. DVD video disks can, but at such a high bitrate it is probably always going to be transparent. 

Reply #2
Of course you'd have to make sure both versions are from the same mix/master (and that they are level-matched).    Unless you encoded the files yourself, you probably don't know that.   Unless you don't hear any difference and then it wouldn't matter if they are from the same-exact master.

Some of the best sounding music I have is DVD video concerts with 5.1 channel Dolby or DTS.   I can't imagine it sounding any better, or being any more enjoyable, in different/lossless format.    (Maybe 7.1 channels would be more "interesting".)

DVD-Audio can't use DTS as far as I know.
That's correct.   DVD-Audio is either LPCM or MLP (both lossless).    

However, you can have a "universal disc" with LCPM, Dolby AC3, or DTS (in VOB files)in the VIDEO_TS folder for regular DVD players and MLP or LPCM in the AUDIO-TS folder for DVD-Audio players.    And, the VOB files can be audio-only, or they can contain regular video, or a still image.

Reply #3
Thanks for the opinions folks. Nice to know i'm not crazy in not being able to tell the difference.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile