Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Not just using C2, but saving C2, when ripping a CD (Read 1754 times) previous topic - next topic

Not just using C2, but saving C2, when ripping a CD

I am ripping some audio CD-Rs that have suffered data fade and I know they have errors on them. Most of these errors are irrecoverable, and rippers such as EAC take a *real* long time to extract corrupted tracks.

Doing some backups of data CDs recently, I've been using DVDisaster to create an ISO. Something I really like about DVDisaster is the visualisations. I know they are there to look good, but they also provide a lot of useful info. Unfortunately DVDisaster won't allow (or does not support) extraction of anything from audio CDs. A screenshot of the sort of visualisations generated by DVDisaster attached:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_13509_c0f0de0cf22efc45364fb975808fb076;topic=0

What would be useful is if I could extract (rip) a CD and have a C2 error occurrence file saved alongside the audio data, I would be able to use the C2 info to fairly accurately pinpoint where the audio is likely to be corrupt. And yes, I know that not all drives support C2 properly, but I'm pretty sure mine does.

So far I've tried EAC, dbPoweramp and PerfectRip as they all claim C2 support. I had high hopes for PerfectRip as the not-too-good documentation alludes to it saving the C2 error stream. But either I can't use the software properly, or have not found the documentation on enabling C2 saving, or it actually doesn't support C2 saving at all.

PerfectRip guarantees optimal full or partial content extraction by making proper use of the C2 pointer technology inside your optical drive. You can be sure your images and tracks are free from errors, or use an error report at post-processing stage to mute, hold or average (linear interpolation) corrupt samples.

Has anyone come across software that can rip audio and save a C2 error report file alongside the audio data?

Cheers,
MM

Re: Not just using C2, but saving C2, when ripping a CD

Reply #1
Have you tried to repair the corrupted tracks using CUETools?

If that is successful, these errors don't matter anymore, because you have a good rip and can burn a new CD from that.  ;)
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -

Reply #2
Looking at https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,52237 from ten years back, it seems others got the same disappointments as I did myself. Had I had more of a need to save a unique copy on a CD-R, I would have put more efforts into it.

Reply #3
@Franky666 :
Unfortunately CUEtools won't help me as most of the bad tracks are original (ie: there will be no online database to cross reference them to).

@Porcus :
I did read that thread previously from tip-to-tail, and there was very little info of use in there. Just read it all again to make sure... Most of it seemed to be bagging out the colour scheme and lack of a user-friendly interface.

There is not likely to be any new programs out there that save C2 data as ripping CDs seems to be either a not-wanted thing to do these days, or that nut has already been cracked and no more effort is required here.

It seems as though most of the 'good stuff' in PerfectRip can only be accessed through the INI file. Perhaps someone on this forum has used PerfectRip in anger and knows if there are any INI file changes/settings that enable saving C2? Things that aren't obvious or documented?

Cheers,
MM.

Reply #4
Why are you so sure that your CD isn't in any databases? Is that the only existing copy of something home-recorded or something made out of MP3 files?

Do you actually have audible errors?

If I ripped my CD collection, I had some uncorrectable reading errors but in many cases, I never found them in the final file. The samples from the bad blocks aren't coherent and spread over a larger area. If they were audible, it was one or two slightly audible clicks.

If there are only a few clicks in a short area and the tracks are really important to you, you can fix that manually with Audacity. When you switch the waveform view to spectogram view, you can see clicks as thin vertical lines (even inaudible ones). To fix one, zoom into one of these lines and switch back to waveform so you can see the broken sample. Select that sample and apply the "repair" function which interpolates the selected area. That function analyzes the surrounding samples instead of simple doubling or linear interpolation.  If you switch back to waveform view and the vertical line is gone, the error is interpolated well.

For harder cases, I made a little program that compares multiple rips of the same track and where these differ, it applied interpolation. That was back in time where no AccurateRip existed. ^^

PS: You are working on a iso file(? I don't know that program you use). Have you tried to rip the real medium on different drives? Some deal better with bad CDs than others because some give up too early (and in reality, there is enough error correction data to recover) or the laser beam hits the surface a little bit different.
- I abandoned this account since I didn't find a way to delete it -